Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
bwhinnen

Angry What is it about Ford and colours?

Placed an order for an XR8 on Saturday, all went well, enjoyed the test drive, liked the options and picked the one and only colour we liked in the current range Rapid (after confirming no less than 3 times in the last forthnight that it was available still).

I get a phone call from the salesperson this morning saying that they are no longer making the XR in that colour and only existing March orders will get that colour.

First it was the Envi that got dropped, then the Orange, and now Rapid, why is it the only colours my wife and I can agree on get dropped.

It looks like we'll probably now cancel the order and await a more suitable colour in the future, I must say a great start to my Ford experience. Oh and I was so looking forward to getting the car as it was the only one that met all of our selection criteria plus being a nice car to boot!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Cheers
Brett

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhinnen
Placed an order for an XR8 on Saturday, all went well, enjoyed the test drive, liked the options and picked the one and only colour we liked in the current range Rapid (after confirming no less than 3 times in the last forthnight that it was available still).

I get a phone call from the salesperson this morning saying that they are no longer making the XR in that colour and only existing March orders will get that colour.

First it was the Envi that got dropped, then the Orange, and now Rapid, why is it the only colours my wife and I can agree on get dropped.

It looks like we'll probably now cancel the order and await a more suitable colour in the future, I must say a great start to my Ford experience. Oh and I was so looking forward to getting the car as it was the only one that met all of our selection criteria plus being a nice car to boot!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Cheers
Brett
Yes it is sometimes annoying but then they always release new colours. I am sure there will be a new yellow, orange & green soon.

If they did not do this then there would be even MORE blueprint, blood orange and citric acid XRs & FPVs getting about and there never would have been rapid, envi or mandarin would there?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

While it is frustrating, they do change the "flavour of the month" colours a fair bit.

Don't give up on a Rapid though, press the dealer to find a car with the options you want in the system. The colour has only been unavailable for a very short time, so there should be lots floating around. Eg one of the dealers here in Melb had an ad in the paper with only Rapid XR's - a number of each model.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

It annoyed me no end when I ordered my EF XR6 in Cobalt Blue, only to have the same thing happen to me way back in 1994.............

:lookedat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't give up on a Rapid though, press the dealer to find a car with the options you want in the system. The colour has only been unavailable for a very short time, so there should be lots floating around. Eg one of the dealers here in Melb had an ad in the paper with only Rapid XR's - a number of each model.[/QUOTE]

I agree press the dealer there has to be a few Rapid's in the system.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if you say that the Rapid is the only colour acceptable or you will go buy another brand car, the dealer might (and I do say might) try that little harder to find it for you...
Can't hurt trying to push the dealer as hard as you can considering you liked the car and the colour of it........ go for it.. nothing to lose really!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
bwhinnen

Unfortunately, with the options I want, Manual (is this so strange an option these days) and the Luxury Pack, there are no stock vehicles in Australia. I am very disappointed.

I wouldn't mind so much if in the last two weeks the dealer (who knew what options I wanted) and Customer service (who I rang to confirm availability) had of said sorry, no that colour is discontinued. I have just been informed that the decision to discontinue was made in January...

Oh well, thanks for the replies though, very encouraging.

Cheers
Brett
Old 13-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I just hope that in the new colour line up they include a nice yellow. Rapid was OK but there are better yellows out there...bring back 'Yellow Glo'!
Old 13-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to agree with that, the Rapid is Ok but it's not a colour I would rave over.. but we are all different in our tastes.......
If someone really wants that particular colour, then the dealer should be leaning backwards, sideways and upside if they must to try and get it...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Maybe if you say that the Rapid is the only colour acceptable or you will go buy another brand car, the dealer might (and I do say might) try that little harder to find it for you...
Can't hurt trying to push the dealer as hard as you can considering you liked the car and the colour of it........ go for it.. nothing to lose really!!
I did. I informed them and the customer service department that I would cancel the order in that case. Didn't help my case at all. The sales person has been most helpful I will give credit where it is due.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
If someone really wants that particular colour, then the dealer should be leaning backwards, sideways and upside if they must to try and get it...
Yeah, but with there wouldn't be many with manual and luxury pack, so its understandable.
Old 13-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Go the Six Speed Auto, id say you would have a fair chance of getting a Rapid with the Luxury pack..

To be honest Rapid is already looking dated just like shockwave is now, if i was buying a new one id go Menace or Bionic.

I wouldn't cancel the order just because of the colour either, just go look at them all again and come to a comprimise.

Which dealer was this thru btw? Denmac Still have a BF XR8 in Rapid with the Six Speed Manual, this car would also be alot cheaper then an 06 as its an 05 with the $3000 cash back. :
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
bwhinnen

Is through Q Ford in Springwood (QLD). As I said salesperson has been good.

Funny you should say that I'd just looked at shockwave as an alternative. The other option (a long wait one) is to go for seduce, which I need to see again and only saw the paint chip at the motorshow in Brisbane.

Menace is not a colour I can relate too and bionic, although a great shade which I think is fantastic, to me just seems to be a colour more suited to a smaller car, but could grow on me easily (but my wife doesn't like it).

I don't want to cancel the order, it is a last resort obviously. I went to a lot of trouble to get to the stage of finding the car that met our requirements and budget.
Old 13-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
ETH02
Force Fed Fun

Smile Chromaflair

Have a look at the Fantasy colour they have. It would look great on the 8's bonnet bulge . Pity about the price though :

Cheers Steve

Shockwave BA MKII Typhoon :sm_headba
ETH02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Seduce wont be an option on the XR either i dont think...
Old 13-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #16
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford may discontinue colours and it might be a bit annoying, BUT they bring in approx 10 new colours each time. Their colour selections are second to none when compared with the other mob, as they only have a selection of 3 or 4 and no imagination what so ever.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #17
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
Ford may discontinue colours and it might be a bit annoying, BUT they bring in approx 10 new colours each time. Their colour selections are second to none when compared with the other mob, as they only have a selection of 3 or 4 and no imagination what so ever.
Have to agree with you there 100%. The 'other mob' are just a joke when it comes to colour choice.

Hopefully we'll have a colour choice by the end of the week and continue with the April build (as long as it doesn't start on the 1st).
Old 13-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Despite Ford getting rid of colours, they always have plenty to choose from. Look at getting an SS and you would be limited to red, blue, white, black, silver and I think maybe yellow now.
Old 13-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #19
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

It's a real disapponitment when you carn't get what you want. But hang in there i'm sure they will have a new coluor to your liking.
Old 13-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
nobbystang

just found this in car sales, not sure on the luxury pack, but is an 8, manual and in qld

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_new_vehicle?vehicle_id=2930644& current_rec=1&make_id=6&model_id=17&keyword=XR8%20 RAPID&state_id=-1

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that car is located at Denmac Darra, no luxury pack or Premium sound i believe...
Old 13-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
They really have slipped in the red camp,they set the standard for a while for the fad colours,now ford has walked away with them.
Old 14-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #23
Jim Beam
Starter Motor

It sucks that you cant get one in the colour you want, see if you can convince the Mrs to get the Shockwave or Blue Pearl (Deep blue) both colours I would definately consider.
Jim Beam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does the luxury pack consist of? Surely a dealer could do you a deal on that stuff, like swapping it from another car or getting the parts sent in.
We're talking about a $60k car and the best the dealer can do is 'sorry its not available'

What a joke.

I just checked the Ford website and it still lists Rapid, id be livid if I couldnt get the colour I wanted despite Ford still advertising it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #25
bwhinnen

Luxury pack is basically the fairmont setup, dual zone climate control and premium sound, not an easy swap over.

Apparently Rapid has been marked for discontinuation since January, but the Customer Care and Dealers weren't notified until recently as there are still cars available in Rapid, just not custom to the level of Manual and Luxury Pack.

Colour choice at this point for us is silhouette, shockwave or seduce (if it's available in XR when it comes into production in June).

Brett
Old 14-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #26
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhinnen
Colour choice at this point for us is silhouette, shockwave or seduce (if it's available in XR when it comes into production in June).

Brett
Looks like you narrowing down your choice of colours nicely (if you can't get Rapid)

Here's mine as an example of Shockwave:
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #27
nobbystang

for what you get aftermarket you'd probably be better getting an amp and some speakers installed by pros. should be able to get a better sound for the same price. thats what i will be doing when the minister for war & finances clears the funds

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
graphixboy
Does it get any better

What colour is seduce?
graphixboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
NZ
~~~

Even tho they change the colours so often you have to admit that theres very few colours that dont look good on the xr's
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #30
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphixboy
What colour is seduce?
Seduce is the new red sue out in June, I only have a vague recollection of it from the motorshow, and will be going in to have a look at the paint chip on Thursday to see what it's like.

From memory candy apple red springs to mind.

Yes I have to admit that most colours look good on the XR, some are not to my taste though, but they are definately unique and some very bold in their choice.

Brett