Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
hangfire

Default wagon roof rails

hi all

i am getting to the point of being happy with the mondeo i bought for the wife (she calls it monty)
however
i am getting roof rail envy :(

i keep seeing them on other wagons and they look much better than the plastic blanks on mine

i bought roof racks and a box for my focus and had hoped to be able to use that on the mondeo but it would seem that there isnt a fixing kit for the wagon due to the ridges of plastic that it has in place of the roof rails

anybody got any ideas other than asking ford to fit roof rails at a ridiculous cost?

Old 18-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
hangfire

Default Re: wagon roof rails

my wife booked the wagon in for its 3k service and asked the service guy how much roof rails would cost
he said a kit would be $462 and could be self fitted
i told her she was confused as the plastic covering needs to be removed and a metal rail added (i assume screwed through the bodywork/bulhead)
she took it back to confirm and the guy said that is not true they just clip onto the plastic currently on the car.
surely this is nonsense right?
Old 18-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
cyclone1410

Is it possible to post a photo or two of what you have now. All the Mondeo wagons at work all have rails and are ready for cross bars to be fitted.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Thule roof racks have a mount that works on Mondeo wagons without rails but it has a rubber pad that sits on the roof. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
hangfire

ok so i had a really good look and what i thought was plastic is actually some kind of matt effect metal.
i am confused as i have seen roof rails which have a gap underneath them to allow the clamp to get above and below the rail....
when i bought the car i didnt specify that i needed rails (and they are listed as an optional extra)
here are some poor photos (i suck at photography)
please advise......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof rails 1.jpg (33.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg roof rails 2.jpg (30.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 20-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Hangfire,

The Mondeo Wagon is available in a number of external finishes viz 1 No roof rails at all, 2. A solid roof rail (and from your photographs it looks as though these are fitted to your car) and 3. A roof rail that has a gap between the rail and the roof.

The Thule people www.thule.com.au market a number of kits to suit the different fitouts.

If you visit the site you can work your way through the various pages to see what is available for your particular car.

I have no connection to Thule other than the Territory wears a pair from time to time and I have been very happy with them. On a couple of occasions I have loaded them beyond the spec of 80 kgm, inadvertently on one occasion by 50% with no damage to either the rails or the car.

Mine came via the RACV but I'm sure you could get them through any Auto Parts store.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 20-11-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
hangfire

hi alanD

this sounds like the car has been fitted with solid rails at no extra cost (very happy bunny)
it was a car which a dealership had bought and i assume the purchase fell through as it came with no mileage on it (and it happened to be the colour and spec that my wife wanted)
i insisted that they fitted the towbar but didnt mention roof rails at all
i am even more delighted with my purchase than i was before now!!
going to do a spin around the autobahn type places as well as a thule retailer that is close by and see what offers they have on rails. the ones ford sell are nothing special and overpriced at 462 if that is all that they are.