Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default So saw a near miss today

Pulled up at the lights turning onto heathcoat road from the M5 Exit, our light turns green, good ole commodore blows through with no regard to other drivers and nearly collects the car infront (probably trying to beat the lights at the other end of the bridge)

Pulled the dashcam footage and well.....just have a listen to the radio commentary

Video is on the Dashcam Owners facebook group (i'll try and get it up on youtube later)
https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...f&notif_t=like

Insanely close, if she had have taken off as soon as it went green, or jumped the green no doubt she'd be on the wrong end of a T-Bone
Mods : Capa Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger @ 8psi, 42lb injectors + 2Bar Map, Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump, 2.5" XForce Quadtip Catback Exhaust, 100 Cell Cats, Xforce Stainles Extractors, Complete SuperPro Front & Rear, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, Oil Catch Can, Braided Hoses & Alloy Watertank, Volt/Oil Pressure/Temp/Boost Guages
V8Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: So saw a near miss today

Green doesn't mean Go, it means look out!
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On youtube

Mods : Capa Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger @ 8psi, 42lb injectors + 2Bar Map, Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump, 2.5" XForce Quadtip Catback Exhaust, 100 Cell Cats, Xforce Stainles Extractors, Complete SuperPro Front & Rear, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, Oil Catch Can, Braided Hoses & Alloy Watertank, Volt/Oil Pressure/Temp/Boost Guages
Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

For 40+ years I've been driving, I've always looked left and right before starting off after the lights turn green to make sure nothings coming. Never assume when the lights turn green that it will be clear.

I think I learned that when learning to drive.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
tonys6550

Running red lights seems to be common place nowadays. I guess people are too busy doing other things but concentrating on driving at hand and being aware of their surroundings. Too many distractions and poor driver training.

I am also surprised to see the amount of people that just blindly go when the lights turn green without looking left and right to make sure the intersection is clear, and not only of inattentive drivers but also emergency vehicles etc.

I am stunned to see nearly all pedestrians do the same when they get a green pedestrian crossing. It's as if they think that a magical invisible force field pops up for protection from inattentive drivers. Ah well, plenty of temporary Australians out there I guess.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bets are fully on this driver trying to beat the lights at the other end of the bridge, probably popped through just as they went red, going too fast for the set directly after.

Still had a giggle at the radio though (in regards to cyclist laws that came in today) talking about dashcams and viral vids, then a comment of catching cyclists who ride through red lights.

Radio jock was definitely on point this morning!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Green means look then go. Fools don't look
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Green doesn't mean Go, it means look out!
Technically, it means 'proceed if safe to do so'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
Running red lights seems to be common place nowadays. I guess people are too busy doing other things but concentrating on driving at hand and being aware of their surroundings. Too many distractions and poor driver training.

I am also surprised to see the amount of people that just blindly go when the lights turn green without looking left and right to make sure the intersection is clear, and not only of inattentive drivers but also emergency vehicles etc.

I am stunned to see nearly all pedestrians do the same when they get a green pedestrian crossing. It's as if they think that a magical invisible force field pops up for protection from inattentive drivers. Ah well, plenty of temporary Australians out there I guess.
Sadly with the brain-dead driver on our roads today. They no longer concentrate on anything when driving, except maybe their phone!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Similar thing happend to me, but I heard the straight through exhaust from the V6 coming before he ran the red.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cringe when the light changes ahead, and the guy behinds me speeds up and sails thru on the red, whilst I have easily stopped.

Sometimes I sound my horn as they speed past!

Then I pull up next to the same idiot at the next set of lights and make a point of shaking my head or waving, saved lots of time DH
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
For 40+ years I've been driving, I've always looked left and right before starting off after the lights turn green to make sure nothings coming. Never assume when the lights turn green that it will be clear.

Yep - same here. Has saved me from at least 3 or 4 huge accidents over the years.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Common occurrence in Melbourne. Have learnt never to take light turning green for granted. Sometimes there is a police car sitting at the intersection and they don't even bother to enforce this
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Crazy View Post
Pulled up at the lights turning onto heathcoat road from the M5 Exit, our light turns green, good ole commodore blows through with no regard to other drivers and nearly collects the car infront (probably trying to beat the lights at the other end of the bridge)

Pulled the dashcam footage and well.....just have a listen to the radio commentary

Video is on the Dashcam Owners facebook group (i'll try and get it up on youtube later)
https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...f&notif_t=like

Insanely close, if she had have taken off as soon as it went green, or jumped the green no doubt she'd be on the wrong end of a T-Bone
Rather ironic timing given the discussion on the radio at the time.....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In our area Melbourne nth , i see this crap often , im surrounded by some pretty nasty intersections , sydney rd/mahoneys rd , keon pde/high st being a couple, i constantly see red light runners, cameras only stop the non crazys , the crazys just wizz on through one or 2 seconds after the lights are red.............. like who gives a toss.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was a near miss last Friday. Just pulled up at my local servo and luckily had my trailer hitched up.
An elderly lady was parked in the butcher's car park next door, got in the car and doesn't remember a thing after that.
Well, she floored it, smashed through the tables and chairs outside the butchers, took out the post holding up the awning and the downpipe, jumped the concrete ridge and came flying through the air across the rear of my trailer. The table, post etc all ended up in my trailer (came down from about 6m in the air), she slewed sideways past the side of my dual cab, through a garden, bounced heavily back onto the road and screamed at full revs down the road and into the back of a large Winnebago! Fortunately she hit the right rear corner of the Winnebago just left of centre of her bonnet.

Luckily for her she escaped with only bruises. Apparently she had some sort of medical episode.

Her car is a write off and the Winnebago's heavy rear bar was pushed up - didn't look too bad.
How wrong you can be.
The next day, the Winnebago drove to the next town about 30km away and promptly exploded! A gas line must have been slightly damaged in the crash and fortunately only let go after the people had pulled up and gotten out at the park.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

agree, except I put more emphasis on looking right, its the car coming from the right you have less time to react to. and its second nature when entering roundabouts, or pulling out of side roads.
In the clip you can see the Astra saw him first and the Kia reacted just in time. but their initial view to the right was obscured.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typically what happens here is the Kia gets rear ended as it slams the brakes on.

Whilst the Commodore just keeps running reds without a worry in the world.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I was a near miss last Friday. Just pulled up at my local servo and luckily had my trailer hitched up.
An elderly lady was parked in the butcher's car park next door, got in the car and doesn't remember a thing after that.
Well, she floored it, smashed through the tables and chairs outside the butchers, took out the post holding up the awning and the downpipe, jumped the concrete ridge and came flying through the air across the rear of my trailer. The table, post etc all ended up in my trailer (came down from about 6m in the air), she slewed sideways past the side of my dual cab, through a garden, bounced heavily back onto the road and screamed at full revs down the road and into the back of a large Winnebago! Fortunately she hit the right rear corner of the Winnebago just left of centre of her bonnet.

Luckily for her she escaped with only bruises. Apparently she had some sort of medical episode.

Her car is a write off and the Winnebago's heavy rear bar was pushed up - didn't look too bad.
How wrong you can be.
The next day, the Winnebago drove to the next town about 30km away and promptly exploded! A gas line must have been slightly damaged in the crash and fortunately only let go after the people had pulled up and gotten out at the park.
Crikey, few people there including yourself need to purchase a lotto ticket
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Was common sense when I learnt to drive .. but when you ride motorbikes you ALWAYS have a good look before you enter the intersection as the first vehicle (even as one way back). You get t-boned on a bike at speed and its likely you wont be going home ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #20
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Was common sense when I learnt to drive .. but when you ride motorbikes you ALWAYS have a good look before you enter the intersection as the first vehicle (even as one way back). You get t-boned on a bike at speed and its likely you wont be going home ..
I think that this is a really good point - when I learned how to ride, I was taught "What will you do WHEN the car pulls out, not IF the car pulls out"

It changed the way I drive a car, and I can't help but feel some drivers have a sense of comfort / complacency in their cars compared to bike riders.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
.:4:.
Kicking back

I was taking my son to the doctors a couple of months back and in the carpark was stopped behind a car waiting for a car whilst it reversed out of it spot. In that time I saw an elderly lady walk to her car that was blocked in by me, her car was in the shadow of my van even, start it put it in reverse and back straight into my rear wheel arch. Damage to me was minimal so I was polite about it, although her rear bumper was all but off, but I did let her know that I had a child in the car. Had it been the door he was in I wouldn't have been so nice about it. How did you not see a van that hadn't moved since before you got into the car? People never cease to amaze me...
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes you have to look out for yourself, if im starting off with a green light from a multi lane intersection and theres a large van or semi blocking my vision of any possible red light runners , i will let the large vehicle lead the way across the the danger area, it probably sounds a bit over cautious , but ive been very close to t boned on a couple of occasions and self preservation = no. 1.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post

I have noticed the more people that are around, the less people seam to look.

In New York people would cross on red without looking because the people in front of them crossed and they are just blindly following the group.
I noticed a few time where cars approaching a green light had to sound their horn to actually get pedestrians to look and stop.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Angry Re: So saw a near miss today

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Common occurrence in Melbourne. Have learnt never to take light turning green for granted. Sometimes there is a police car sitting at the intersection and they don't even bother to enforce this
Sadly, like most other laws.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #25
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was driving my son home along a road with a 70kph limit on Tuesday. We were 6th car back in the cue as we approached a right turn lane. For some reason the first car suddenly slowed down to 30kph at the actual turning point which caused the rest of us to brake. Looked back in the mirror to see a red Mazda SUV not slowing at all. I swung to the left and waited for the inevitable bang but she swerved right and drove into the turn off lane. At this point I though she was turning right. Nope. She continued straight ahead past the end of the turn off lane and into the path of the oncoming traffic in the opposite lane not once slowing or braking. Three cars travelling in the opposite direction all ended up totally off road and on the shoulder. The second car in our queue broke to give her a gap to get back in. I have no idea what she was thinking but she copped a lot of abuse from the four cars in front of me when they all past her at the next set of lights.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #26
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Sadly, like most other laws.
The biggest insult ever was nearly getting run over by an Asian lady in a Magna while crossing a pedestrian crossing in Sydney. Two HWP officers had just gotten into their car with their Subway sandwiches, and the driver glanced nervously over at the HWP car. And all the HWP would do was smile and wave to the driver who had just nearly run over me... I guess they are highway patrol after all, not footway patrol right??
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #27
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The biggest insult ever was nearly getting run over by an Asian lady in a Magna while crossing a pedestrian crossing in Sydney. Two HWP officers had just gotten into their car with their Subway sandwiches, and the driver glanced nervously over at the HWP car. And all the HWP would do was smile and wave to the driver who had just nearly run over me... I guess they are highway patrol after all, not footway patrol right??
I nearly got squashed by a truck which ran a red light a few weeks ago (yes, the little man was green so it was my turn to cross) and the traffic cops in the lane next to the truck didn't seem too phased...

Good thing I always look both ways.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post