Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drag Racing, Comparing different tracks around Australia

Billet for sure.

Heathcote is always 2 - 3 mph more and on Steve's 146 run he did run a bigger tyre.

Also why is it that no one breaks records at WSID?

More than 5 people have now told me this.

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 
Default Re: How many broken input shafts have occurred from zf tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevapower View Post
Billet for sure.

Heathcote is always 2 - 3 mph more and on Steve's 146 run he did run a bigger tyre.

Its funny I think of Kwinana like that, I always come to Heathcote and run faster (ET) than Kwinana even though the track prep is not as good and my car is down 20-30rwkw in the 70+% humidity Victorian air...

I just put it down to getting more runs = more practice.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
joe@cms

Quote:
Right so I need another 100 ok. Joe!

would you like fries with that....
joe@cms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
rednose
RNS10S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
Steve's (Glouva) XR6T was making quite a bit less then 630 on Nizpro's dyno (I have been told) and ran 146 at Heathcote when it went 9.8 so I think anwhere from 550-570 upwards and you will run 9's pretty comfortable.
I think it was run in 5th, so it would show less wouldn't it?
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@cms View Post
would you like fries with that....
Bahahaha good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose
I think it was run in 5th, so it would show less wouldn't it?
I'm not sure how Dave runs them all I know is that Bayswater dyno is a heartbreaker!
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

Pro drag racers rate it as the best track in Australia, and records confirm its the best.
Last year in one meet, 20 national drag racing records were set at the Nitro Champs at Sydney Dragway.
http://www.andra.com.au/latest-news/...s-claimed.html

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are so its all the non pros that make this claim?

Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

No idea who claims what, I have good friends who travel the ANDRA scene across Australia and Sydney is the place they love to race, theirs and the ANDRA records is the only info I can share.
From a street car perspective we like HPR because not having a cage isn't an issue.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Willobank holds the most records.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
prasac
Banned

tell me again how the WSID track isn't any good

you will find most guys go on a Wednesday night, the track isn't prepped or has a little prep, if some fast cars say they are going on a Wednesday they will prep the track. it's guys that don't race regularly, don't have the car sorted etc that have issues, we have done alot of Race 4 Real's and the car has been fine as we can make adjustments with the eBoost2 etc. last Wednesday was also cold, the track was dewy and unprepped. little to no quick cars to put warmth into the track.

go on a Test n Tune, Full Throttle Friday or when a big meet is on and the track is at it's best you will run super quick
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I know WSID can be really good at last years Test n Tune I dropped 0.4 of my previous PB track was like it had sandpaper on it.

My point is that I hear that other tracks can be quicker and i don't really understand it.

My mates dad runs a NA XY super sedan I think can't be sure. He's said things like at Heathcote he runs 147 mph but his PB at WSID was 144! Then you have the guys from Pac that seem to always run PB's at Willobank.

Also you have the guys saying Calder is always about 0.2 quicker on average.

Would be good to hear other peoples input on this.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
prasac
Banned

it's not just track there is alot of variables that come into it, weather, car changes, altitude etc etc

Sydney has got many many records, don't blame the track
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

when I used to crew years ago and both Calder and Heathcote were being used and prepped properly, it was always considered that most cars would run about 2 tenths quicker at Calder and it was because of the RA, guys running against indexes would have to adjust their cars or times depending on what class they raced in

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
it's not just track there is alot of variables that come into it, weather, car changes, altitude etc etc

Sydney has got many many records, don't blame the track
Nah in no way am I blaming the track (WSID) I'm just trying to get an understanding of how and why other tracks might be faster at times or generally.

Some healthy discussion would be great.

I just got a message from my mate Jason Grima and he said temp is the main factor when deciding on what track is quickest!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
SpoolMan

Yes for sure especially boosted cars in the cold weather, we have seen 3/10ths drop with the yellow F6 from one meet to another.

Perhaps this discussion is better played out in the drag racing Forum area, leaving this thread for the ZF.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Yes for sure especially boosted cars in the cold weather, we have seen 3/10ths drop with the yellow F6 from one meet to another.

Perhaps this discussion is better played out in the drag racing Forum area, leaving this thread for the ZF.
Yes I agree Spooly can we move it to there?

Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Nah in no way am I blaming the track (WSID) I'm just trying to get an understanding of how and why other tracks might be faster at times or generally.

Some healthy discussion would be great.

I just got a message from my mate Jason Grima and he said temp is the main factor when deciding on what track is quickest!
a couple degrees here and there for Pro Stock guys like him, it's important. we are intercooled, run E85 and have alot of things in our favour. we have raced in 8C nights and 38C days, was roughly about 1/10ths difference. our quickest pass to date was run on a 27C day

just seen Spooly's post, i will start a thread Matt
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
prasac
Banned

Default quickest dragstrip in Australia

discussion on what is the quickest strip in the country.

i believe Sydney, Willowbank then Perth in that order just from guys i know that have raced there.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
SpoolMan

Default Drag Racing, Comparing different track around Australia

This thread has been cut from another thread to discuss the difference between drag racing tracks in Australia.
Altitude, ET, MPH, Weather temp and humidity, start-line and anything else you can think of.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drag Racing, Comparing different tracks around Australia

Thanks Spooly!

Could be a great thread this well informative at least!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

+ 1 for the Sydney Track Crew also a big thanks to Ray Treasure, if your after a sticky track try a Track Championship Day at WSID.

RA = Relativity Altitude and it plays a big part for NA Petrol cars, has a smaller effect on alcohol cars and reduced effects on intercooled turbo cars.

Humidity will effect both NA and Alcohol cars, less so on a boosted application.

As each track is at a different real altitude and subject to different weather conditions, each track will have its own benefits. The layout of WSID for example reduces the effects of crosswinds and tail winds compared to a open layout like Heathcote.

Depending on your power out and car setup a bit of wheel spin will help generate wheel speed and reduce the engine load / stop it bogging.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which track is the closest to sea level?
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Small world, he used to live on my street.

I would expect with WSID being the newest it would set the highest standard. Selfishly of course I'd like to think when I race there it's going to go faster, not slower, at another strip n
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
Which track is the closest to sea level?
Ravenswood used to be, I believe Adelaide is now.
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's what I thought even with the moderate to heavy WSW winds common on race day here I remember back when it was pretty full on racing(90s/early 2000) plenty of interstate guys looked forward to the trip over on comp meetings/4,6,Rotor Shootouts etc.

Now with a Doorslammer owner taking over AIR's meetings the prep is even better imo...he doesn't scrimp at all.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Comments as an social drag racer, who does nothing but bolt on some tyres to prep the (circuit focused setup) car.

I've only raced at WSID and Heathcote. As other have mentioned, my MPH is higher at Heathcote, but my ET's are quicker (and more consistent) at WSID.

e.g. this years AFFNats, closest I got to my PB (12.427) was a high 12.5. but spent the whole two days doing mostly low 13's (i.e. way off). but at 112+MPH.

a Wednesday night at WSID will see me doing 12.5 after 12.5 after 12.5 at 108-109MPH.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #27
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know that I would place too much faith in Heathcotes timing system being 100 percent accurate. Sydney and the other major tracks and systems have to be certified to be able to claim records so pretty sure they would be right.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
347xt

willobank is better because you cant smell the tip the hole time you are there like in sydney
347xt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #29
prasac
Banned

small tyre PB's seem to be run in Sydney more than any other track. you need to remember the super quick car's run 33x17'' slicks.

i follow alot of the APSA guys, these are guys running small tyres, the majority of the APSA guys have run PB's in Sydney compared to Willowbank etc. the few guys i have seen that have gone to WA to race, have run similar times within 1/10th.

the smaller tracks are getting better, i have heard good reports from guys going quick in Portland and Benaraby, for now, i think since Ray Treasure came up to Sydney, i think it's the best track, followed very very very closely by Willowbank on the right day.
Old 13-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Ive seen the same, mph reads high at heathcote by 3 to 4 mph.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post