Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 16-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Madaya's Big Night

So as not to confuse readers with Kable72's Drag Racing Tips Thread, I thought I'd present the results of my first ever drag experience in a new article.
Firstly, thanks to all for advice and encouragement, it was the best thing I have done in years and I'm sure it wont be the last time I give the 1320 a look.
The Perth Motorplex (first visit) is well set up, and man, with the previous 2 Whoop *** Wednesday's being rained out, they had a huge turn out, all sorts of cars and lots of spectators too.
To paint the picture, travelled in convoy 140 kms, with workmate Steve T, leading the way in his supercharged L76 engine Commodore Ute, me in the FG XR6 CC, Steve's son in a VF wagon, also the L76 but stock. An all 6 speed manual crew.
Steve had as a passenger Nathan G, who came along as spectator. Nathan was an old hand at drag racing having run 9's in a modified Holden ute. He was happy to sit in the stands. I had my girlfriends 16yr old son on board, looking forward to being a passenger, but at the preliminaries, the scrutineer was quite firm that you had to be 18. Darn.
Cut to the chase.
Put helmet on early, for those of us not used to wearing them, they can isolate you from the world. Avoided the burnout, being manual, inexperienced and stock Dunlop tyres, I know I would have fluffed it.
Get to staging, white lights on, glanced across, hey, its a Ford EA/EF CC. Enough of that. Amber lights on, last amber, revs around 2500, press right foot down, left foot up and off we go.
TC on, didn't flash, bit of wheel spin. 5000 - into 2nd, the other guy is moving away, saw 5500 before third, darn, you realise there is nothing left, the other guy is pulling away, struck 4th just before the line - I did it
The drive back was just total chill, slow and easy.
Time 16.527
TS = 133.97
RT = .606
60' = 2.485
Second run was 16.572
TS = 137.27
RT = 0.397
60' = 2.51
Held third to the line.
I was content with the two runs, I don't think I could find another second.
Okay, not the fastest runs in the world, but pretty much the stock values.
Was surprised at how calm I was at the staging. It's just matter of fact.
Recommend a run to anyone and everyone.
Will upload pics and vid soon.

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
prasac
Banned

Default Re: Madaya's Big Night

well done, you don't have to go fast to be happy. beating a PB in a fast car, you feel the same way as doing it in a slow car as long as you're having fun that is the main thing.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To right. Maybe some inlet, outlet work. It would be nice to get into 15's. Wouldn't cost too much.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Old 16-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

You had fun want more and didnt brake anything that is a win win...... Anyone can do drag racing and everyone should.....
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a link to the first run...(You Tube).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXDmVQz0O4
Not to sure what the black Ute had under the bonnet (I figure it was an I6) but it was probably the quietest run of the night
Cheers mates.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Next time you go take more time stagging you want to just edge in to give you every poof teenth of a second.
Old 17-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i reckon you would drop into the 15s if you can get your starts right 2.4 and 2.5 for 60' ..you can do better son haha

when i did 1st run at drags i was bummed ..it that it but then you start racing the clock and you get right into it
glad you had fun
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah turn traction control off thats what your right foot is for....
Old 17-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The main thing is you had a blast.

I'd love to take the family taxi down the 1/4 ... just for amusement value.

The problem with racing is that ... it makes you want to do mods to see how it goes next time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, (and I'm no Doctor), in those brief milliseconds that you can absorb, after the 1st to second terror is dispensed with, it was obvious that between 4k to 5k+ it felt pretty flat. 3k to 4k was still pulling.
Surprised not much above 4k, you're just revving the engine to save on a gear change.
Hmm, definitely some pipes in order. The Pacemaker 4500 just looks like the regular FG manifold, minus a few kgs in weight and smooth bends. Gonna look at the 4490 or similar.
Old 18-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Yeah ignore the 4500 unless youre keeping your stock cat.

Dont be scared to rev out to 6000, IIRC the FG's by way of manifold design make peak power at both 5250rpm and 6000rpm. Or so ive been told.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah upgrade the extractors and Cat and she will rev much more freely.
Old 18-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good onya for havin a go, my first ever pass I dropped the tailshaft on the finish line and smashed the tranny into about 10 pieces left oil and bits everywhere, ran 15 something. Fronted up a few months later with new trans and a pair of slicks and ran 13's. Once you get bit you go back for more. As stated before you can have as much fun in a slower car as in a fast one so get back there every chance you have.
JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the encouragement team. Stock is stock, not to sure what stock is for a ute. I see the Ecoboost sedan gets sub 15's, and I6 sedans get 15's. Hmmm.
Old 19-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

All the quick times are from auto's though. phat_stak_tipa ran his XR6 manual and got a 14.9@95mph with 2.3 60ft. Utes are heavier and have worse aero so there's no shame in not matching those times.
Old 19-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Great read buddy ... thank's for sharing
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the videos and replaying things over in my head, I'm determined to find at least half a second more before I try any mods. Gear change points, tyre pressures etc - the track wasn't as sticky (so I'm told) as you find with the 'pro' cars. I lightened the car to the point where I ran without the spare tyre. Being an ally tray ute, maybe I should put a little more weight were it is needed.
Looking forward to the next run.
Old 21-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From your numbers there should be alot of gain to be had with the trap speed. Maybe look at your shift speed?
Old 21-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I found with my BA XR6 it helped if I was racing someone I knew next to me cause the determination to beat them was too great to ignore, even if I knew I was gonna get smashed.

Thinking that way got me from 16.2 to a 15.8. 60 foot went from around 2.3 to 2.1
Old 21-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

With the utes .... I'd say a bit of weight over the rears would aid in traction off the line for you ... or change to 16"s with some drag tyres to aid in traction.

I guess lower the rear tyre pressure first and see if that makes a difference in traction for you.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post