Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Kit cars

Has anyone on here built a kit car.
I'd like to build one sometime in the future and just wanna know peoples experience with them.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Kit cars

When someone starts putting out Kit Falcons , I'll be right into it. Wondering if kit cars are exempt from emissions and safety regulations ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A former workmate finished off one of these 818 rockets a little while back (the earlier model without a roof): http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/
I helped him out with several parts of it where more than 1 pair of hands were needed.

The FFR kit is very well put together - everything fitted first go, and they gave extensive instructions on what parts you need to source. He did the recommended thing & bought an entire WRX. It was actually still registered, but worked out cheaper than finding a wreck and chasing the missing/bent bits. Cost was under $40K finished - but that included paying people to do a lot of things, and sourcing a lot of new stuff that he could have sourced far cheaper with patience. When I worked it out myself, I reckon I could do it for $25-30K

You'll find lots more in-depth instructional info on the site too - plenty of reading for the Xmas break.

And there's also a forum where you can ask for help, or simply browse other's projects: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum.php

An acquaintance is doing the GTM, which uses a C5 Corvette as the basis for most of the running gear, electrics & instruments/systems. His stalling point was sourcing the Porsche gearbox/transaxle, but once that was found, it was back into action. I'm not in touch with him much, so I don't know how it's progressing, but he had nothing but praise for the quality of the kit as well.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmmm - I've had many thoughts about a DRB540.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
Warrenk

What type of ICV do want to build? There are AC Cobra's, GT40's, Concept Cobra's, a new one just released called a Stryker plus a company called Copycat Cars which also do number of differrent cars. Then there is how you want to built it. The Concept Cobra and Strker use donor cars which use most of the parts from BA/BF Falcon and/or FG Falcons. Pace, from the Gold Coast, have a AC Cobra replica that can be built using all new parts and a option of fibreglass or aluminium bodies. All the other kits use a combination of new and second hand parts.
And for price don't believe anything cheaper that $50,000 to $55, 000, and that is if you use all second and parts and do all the work yourself. Everyone I know who has built AC Cobras has a min cost of $65,000, GT40 cost around $100,000.

I have built 2, an AC Cobra and Concept Cobra. The AC took about 3 years and the Concept about 18 months.
You will also need an engineer which will cost from a $1000 upwards. The people I know who have built ICV's in Victoria cost about $3,000 for the engineer.
I think you will need is perseverance, if not it may end as a another unfinished project. A supplier of kit cars said he believes that about 40% end up as unfinished projects tucked away in sheds.

Warren
Old 27-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
What type of ICV do want to build? There are AC Cobra's, GT40's, Concept Cobra's, a new one just released called a Stryker plus a company called Copycat Cars which also do number of differrent cars. Then there is how you want to built it. The Concept Cobra and Strker use donor cars which use most of the parts from BA/BF Falcon and/or FG Falcons. Pace, from the Gold Coast, have a AC Cobra replica that can be built using all new parts and a option of fibreglass or aluminium bodies. All the other kits use a combination of new and second hand parts.
And for price don't believe anything cheaper that $50,000 to $55, 000, and that is if you use all second and parts and do all the work yourself. Everyone I know who has built AC Cobras has a min cost of $65,000, GT40 cost around $100,000.

I have built 2, an AC Cobra and Concept Cobra. The AC took about 3 years and the Concept about 18 months.
You will also need an engineer which will cost from a $1000 upwards. The people I know who have built ICV's in Victoria cost about $3,000 for the engineer.
I think you will need is perseverance, if not it may end as a another unfinished project. A supplier of kit cars said he believes that about 40% end up as unfinished projects tucked away in sheds.

Warren
I have no idea what I'd like to build TBH it's a while off yet just asking people what they're experience's with difrent kits/companies was. I really like the concept cobra I wanna use a turbo donk in it. so need to find out what will fit one it's just that a lot of kit cars that are built use a ls/or modular motor or a v
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile Re: Kit cars

My young brother built a Bolwell in 1973 (or maybe '74).

I gave him a hand from time to time and really enjoyed it.

Took 12 months or more and was a real beast when it was finished

e: actually wasn't a Nagari... can't rem what it was called...

Last edited by ronwest; 27-12-2016 at 11:19 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #8
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Boza,
I haven't built a kit car yet, but have been very close to start a few times.
The first one I nearly started 15 years ago was a Dax Rush, (Super 7) with Sierra Cosworth AWD. I spent hours studying parts lists and doing up a spreadsheet of parts to buy, but didn't go ahead, mostly due to there wasn't an approval scheme for individually built cars where I lived then.
About 8 years ago my neighbor was fabricating his own 4-seat stretch 'Lamborghini' kits in Perth, and for a while I was tempted to get one kit from him, however his body finishes and interior details was not great. And a Lambo shouldn't be (under)powered by a Camry V6, so I didn't go that route either.

You have got a great reply from Warrenk, with his hands on experiences and cost examples. (But I don't know if build time is included or not in the cost figures, probably not). Building a kit would take you something like 1000 hours. If you are retired and just need an unpaid hobby, then the cost of this DIY labor could be $0. On the other hand if you place an average $30/hour value of your time for lost income, then you are suddenly looking at $30.000 on top of the parts cost.

It would be interesting to hear more about your DIY capabilities and reasons for building a kit. Is it to find a hobby, or is it to build a unique car that can't be had by purchasing it from someone? Building a kit will involve custom fabrication, and it will take more time and skills than for example just heavy panel beating / rebuild of a car.
For example a big panel beating job on a factory built car, with stripping most of a body shell, replacing near half the shell, painting it, and just re-fitting all the original parts could take someone about 200 hours of DIY time. Currently I'm in the middle of engine and drivetrain conversion of my E90 from a dead 4-cylinder to a near new S65 V8 (M3). Still no fabrication involved, and it has taken all my spare time for the last 2 months, and I'm not yet half way through.
In my view building a kit car would be the next level of effort involved, as the parts will need fabrication and adjustment. The statistics referred to above, about half the kits ending up unfinished, is not surprising.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

I have built a couple of ac cobras and helped with a couple more, rules and regs are the worry, and its a case of how much you can do yourself and how much money you have , that will rule the build time. in my opinion , if you want an ac , buy the cheapest registered one, and modify to suit
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: