Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #271
Holgii
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
For those that may be interested, anybody know what the quality is like...?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-X...item4cf47b8061
I'd be very cautious with this guy,so much money for four wheels, surely you can get better ones for a better price..
Old 25-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #272
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holgii
I'd be very cautious with this guy,so much money for four wheels, surely you can get better ones for a better price..
you are correct opinions are like arseh0les !!

as far as being cautious with this guy ,......Jack Brabham trusted him enough to spin up wheels for his F1 back in the days ,..so did Moffat , Jim Richards & Gossy ,. and he is still spinning wheels 50 years later,...you reckon he may have the runs on the board ?? ....i do .

as for finding better ones for a better price as you put it ,.... you get what you pay for bud ,..ADR approved made in Aus and a classic design ,comes at a price unfortunatly .

you want cheap ???....there is always the imported from USA Chinese made bling bling crap that some numnuts fit to their coupes ,......you can spot them out a mile away ,...they look shocking and the owner is quick to tell you how cheap he got them .
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #273
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351
you are correct opinions are like arseh0les !!

as far as being cautious with this guy ,......Jack Brabham trusted him enough to spin up wheels for his F1 back in the days ,..so did Moffat , Jim Richards & Gossy ,. and he is still spinning wheels 50 years later,...you reckon he may have the runs on the board ?? ....i do .

as for finding better ones for a better price as you put it ,.... you get what you pay for bud ,..ADR approved made in Aus and a classic design ,comes at a price unfortunatly .

you want cheap ???....there is always the imported from USA Chinese made bling bling crap that some numnuts fit to their coupes ,......you can spot them out a mile away ,...they look shocking and the owner is quick to tell you how cheap he got them .
Hey Nick
The guy advertising the Hotwires is Jeff from Aussie Muscle Car traders
Not Walter from Neales Wheels!!!!!!!!!
Peace out
George
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #274
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

wow, what just happened!

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #275
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Old 25-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #276
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

^^^ Right on ^^^

Settle down you guys......

You get what you pay for. If you don't like the price just move on. They're pricey but so what?? Where else are you going to get brand new hotwires?? The market will decide.....

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #277
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Hey Nick
The guy advertising the Hotwires is Jeff from Aussie Muscle Car traders
Not Walter from Neales Wheels!!!!!!!!!
Peace out
George
Hey George,...

i didnt mention any names on who advertised them ,...but im sure most people can work out Jeff is the retailer not the manufacturer .

if my memory serves me correct you were tooting someone's horn when looking for wheels ,..until you were expertly educated.

the point im trying to make is you get what you pay for.,..unfortunantly for some ADR compliance only enters the equation when the insurance assessor knocks back the claim due to the wheels.
Old 26-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #278
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oops - I stand corrected!

Sorry Nick....back in my box now..
Old 26-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #279
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oops - I stand corrected!

Sorry Nick....back in my box now..

now that i have you in the featal position ,........ill add that you should have gone 11's on the rear to really stretch those 295 Yoky's out .

will she be ready in time for Echuca ??
Old 26-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #280
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nick - unfortunately the chances of that occuring are very slim indeed

I will be in Echuca but the Landau will be in pieces still getting painted. Which is really upsetting but something I should have expected. The guy is doing a lot of work for a very fair price so I should not complain. The standard of his work is second to none and I need to be patient.

He has a 2 door HK monaro which is nearly complete then he can get stuck into mine

I am looking at my Simmons wheels every time I walk into my second bedroom.....no bed in there just a full Landau interior and those lovely V5s!
Old 27-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #281
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nick - unfortunately the chances of that occuring are very slim indeed

I will be in Echuca but the Landau will be in pieces still getting painted. Which is really upsetting but something I should have expected. The guy is doing a lot of work for a very fair price so I should not complain. The standard of his work is second to none and I need to be patient.

He has a 2 door HK monaro which is nearly complete then he can get stuck into mine

I am looking at my Simmons wheels every time I walk into my second bedroom.....no bed in there just a full Landau interior and those lovely V5s!
ahh the joys of a resto,..unfortunantly the paint & panel process is the enduring hurdle ,..I have yet to see one done properly in the timeframe thats promised ,.....if you push them to finish quickly they cut corners ,.. since you landed yourself a gun tradesman best to grin and bear it ,...I admire your patience

it will all be worth it once its all together ,..there is no greater satisfaction than getting your pride & joy on the road the way you imagined it .
cheers
Nick
Old 28-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #282
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Ok Guys, Time to get this thread back on track!!!

Any one know where I can get a Mickey Thompson N50 x 15 INDY PROFILE Tyre from?
With a bit of modification to the offset on my rims and a slight massage of the outer wheel well I can just squeeze them in.
According to the tyre size convertor I used they work out to 345/50/15. Noice!!!
I've got one tyre just trying to chase up another .

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #283
fatasslandau
the money box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Jack
Ok Guys, Time to get this thread back on track!!!

Any one know where I can get a Mickey Thompson N50 x 15 INDY PROFILE Tyre from?
With a bit of modification to the offset on my rims and a slight massage of the outer wheel well I can just squeeze them in.
According to the tyre size convertor I used they work out to 345/50/15. Noice!!!
I've got one tyre just trying to chase up another .
hey jack make sure they fit im running 325/50/15 and had to massage the rear quarters and shorten the diff slightly
Old 28-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #284
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Gday Colin,
Heres a pic of the one I tried on our coupe. Its purdy tight but I didnt notice any scraping when I took it for a drive around the block.
Quote:

Heres a pic of Joes coupe with MICKEY THOMPSON N50 x 14
He actually flared out the lip on his wheel arch.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #285
greenjgs

Hi Jack

Make sure you try it on the left side as well. The diff is slightly off centre in a falcon and what works on the right may not work on the left.

Cheers G
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #286
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjgs
Hi Jack

Make sure you try it on the left side as well. The diff is slightly off centre in a falcon and what works on the right may not work on the left.

Cheers G
Was going to say the exact same thing last night but was having issues inputting the message into my iphone last night!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #287
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

No Worries Fellas, All good fits both sides just.
Might have to work the left side a bit more though.
I'll see once I find another tyre.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #288
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Hey Fatass,
Jacks are on 10's i think, pulling the side wall in. yours are 12 right??

Might be the difference.

You can always put a watts link or panhard in to pull the diff either way for clearance too.

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #289
fatasslandau
the money box

hey jack have tou got the actual size coker tyres make a n50-15 size is 28'-13.00'-15'
which converts to roughly 325/50/15 they look like the exact same pattern
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #290
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Thanks for that, I'll go and check them out.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #291
XRGREIGHT

Guys, Have 235/60/14`s on the front of my coupe and they are rubbing on the rear firewall. They are on a 8 x 14 rim. What front tyres do most of you guys run with ?
XRGREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #292
greenjgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGREIGHT
Guys, Have 235/60/14`s on the front of my coupe and they are rubbing on the rear firewall. They are on a 8 x 14 rim. What front tyres do most of you guys run with ?
I have 265 5-0/15's on the from of the Goss and I get a very minor rub. It all depends on, obviously tyre diameter and rim offset. Have you had an alignment done? If you take the caster up to 3 deg. this will improve/stop the rear rubbing but you may need to clear the front on the guard.
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #293
devortex
Starter Motor

Default Looking to swap out for bigger wheels

I've got 14" wheels on my XB now with 235/60 in front and 245/60 in the rear. To small for my tastes so I'm on the hunt for something new. I think the wheels I've got are the factory option ROH alloy ones? Is there a market for these at all?

I want to stay with something that looks fairly period correct but maybe jump up to a 16". Any suggestions for tyre sizes and wheel brands?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04584.JPG (89.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04583.JPG (112.8 KB, 101 views)
Toyota FJ60 Expedition Rig
Tractor Junkie
devortex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #294
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They dont look like factory option 52 sports road wheels - slightly different I think. but that could be due to the non geniune centre cap changing teh appearance of the wheel!

Mine looked like this

Some more information on the wheel on this trusty website, scroll down for section on option 52

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/wheels.html

A good aftermarket wheel which many people use on their cars is the torque thrust made by american racing

Comes in 17 inch diameter and looks a treat!

http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchR...ywords=VN30978
Old 26-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #295
homegrown
hotshot

Default Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatasslandau
hey jack make sure they fit im running 325/50/15 and had to massage the rear quarters and shorten the diff slightly
Thats a massive tyre, is that on 10 or 12 inch wide rim Thanks.
Also does anyone know what combo Gary Myers is running on his coupe, tyre and rim size. thanks.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #296
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
I like the snug look at the back there.
Im running a 295 50 15 tyre but I should have gone bigger, there's still plenty of room. I want them to sit closer like the above pic like a real snug fit. I will go bigger eventually when I can afford (may consider tubbing) but for the time being can you get spacers for these? Thanks.
Old 27-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #297
bbcoupe
It's simple, more CUBES!

I used to run 295/50/15 on 10 in rims for quite a while but now find that 275/60/15 fill the guards better an give the rear a nice stance with reset lowered springs.

Last edited by bbcoupe; 27-03-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: wrong pic
bbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #298
homegrown
hotshot

[QUOTE=bbcoupe]I used to run 295/50/15 on 10 in rims for quite a while but now find that 275/60/15 fill the guards better an give the rear a nice stance with reset lowered springs.

Thanks, Hey love the photo great shot, Yeah thats what Im after a tall tyre that fills in the guards. Ive been taking note of just about every tyre that I see on a coupe these days. I dont want to waste any more money on the wrong size. I noticed at Jafs you and your mates Yellow XC and Blue XA have the same tyre. I used to have a big McCreary that filled the guards nicely but I cant remember the size but thinking 28 x 12.5 would do it. Not 100% sure though.
Old 27-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #299
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very impressed with the 275/60...really fills the guard nicely!
Old 27-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #300
homegrown
hotshot

These were my old McCrearys and was really happy with size them. But it seems as though Ive down graded with the 295s.
The fronts were 70 series I think, now I have 60 series to drop the front down too.