Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default "Father" of Ford Territory Retires

Ford Australia Product Development Director and E8 Vehicle Line Director, Russell Christophers has announced his retirement.

Christophers will finish work on December 31, after a career spanning almost 39 years with the Ford Motor Company.
He joined Ford in 1973 as a Mechanical Engineering Graduate and has had a stellar career with the Blue Oval.

Of his many career achievements, Christophers is best known as the “Father of the Ford Territory” for his unwavering commitment to build the country’s only locally designed and engineered SUV.
“Russell has been a respected and key driving force behind many vehicles that our customers now own and drive,” according to Ford Australia President and CEO, Bob Graziano.
“During his time at Ford he has also held many key positions across Truck Engineering, Product Planning for Australia and the Asia Pacific region, Program Management, Body Engineering CAE, test operations, Prototype Build and Vehicle Engineering.

“You name it and Russell has had some input or responsibility for it.”
Christophers was also the Product Planning Manager for Ford New Zealand and a key member of the Ford Asia Pacific team based in Melbourne working with Mazda on regional vehicles for the Asia Pacific Region and Australia.
“One of his most significant contributions to the success of Ford Australia and the region was as the Chief Program Manager of the Territory, followed by the position of E8 Vehicle Line Director,” Graziano said.

“In many ways, Russell is actually the father of the Territory. He led the launch of Territory from a product development perspective as well as other E8 product, most notably the FG Falcon.”
The Territory is consistently ranked by motoring media as one of the country’s most practical, purpose-built SUVs and has won many awards, among them the highly coveted 2004 Wheels magazine Car Of The Year award and Australian Design Award.
“We wish Russell and his wife Anne all the best for their future and thank him for his significant contribution to the Ford Motor Company,” Graziano said.

Christophers’ role as the Product Development representative on the Australian Operating Committee will be filled by Jim Holland, APA Engineering Director.
David Wilkinson will assume the position of E8 Vehicle Line Director and will report to APA Truck and Large Vehicles Programs Director, Gary Boes.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: "Father" of Ford Territory Retires

What a career! Legend.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Would love to get in a Q&A session with him!

Wishing all the best.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

He oversaw some terrific products. All the best for him in retirement

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

All the best in retirement Mr Russell Christophers.

I remember speaking to you during the Ford Forums raid #2, trying to squeeze some details out of you about EA265 (now Territory). You were very tight lipped but obviously proud of what was to come. I love your product(s) and I'm sure you'd have plenty of stories to tell.

Maybe you should write a book.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
JG34JA

Thank you (and your co-workers) for the Territory Russell.
Our first new family car. Still going strong. To my way of thinking it found a gaping hole in the market and filled it perfectly. The AWD/RWD mix is now used throughout the SUV class, and you guys really pioneered it. Cheers!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder whether there's just a hint, as the Terri has such strong appeal to women, that Mrs Christophers is the "mother" of the Ford Territory?

I'm sure a lot of ideas must have gone back and forth over the kitchen counter!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I wonder whether there's just a hint, as the Terri has such strong appeal to women, that Mrs Christophers is the "mother" of the Ford Territory?

I'm sure a lot of ideas must have gone back and forth over the kitchen counter!
"Behind every great man is a great women". In this case this saying may have an element of truth.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
Buntz
Straight Eight

Well if JPD80 won't play wet blanket here... I will.

"I wonder if he is leaving because the products he fostered are about to be axed."

(Here's to that not happening - clink)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

"I wonder if he is leaving because the products he fostered are about to be axed."

I actually thought the same thing...

Congrats on a great career, though. The Territory shifted the family SUV category for good.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

Or maybe he is at retirement age? (which he is)

Territory and Falcon still have 4 or 5 more years left yet, maybe more. What is the morbid fascination with the demise of Ford Australia on this site. You never hear about Holden shutting down over on LS1 forums and yet, a smart man would acknowledge that on a business level, Ford are much stronger than Holden/GM.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great car, Even SX Territorys with over 150,000km still run rings around the brand new SUVs from Holden, Toyota and Mazda in terms of driveability, comfort, handling and steering.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Or maybe he is at retirement age? (which he is)

Territory and Falcon still have 4 or 5 more years left yet, maybe more. What is the morbid fascination with the demise of Ford Australia on this site. You never hear about Holden shutting down over on LS1 forums and yet, a smart man would acknowledge that on a business level, Ford are much stronger than Holden/GM.
I just wanted to get the negative thought in early and have it torn up.

Now the positiveness can carry over before even a second page happens!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I sadly think that he is going with the E8...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.