Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Default "Evolution ends here....." Thoughts on the VE ute

Holden are right, the evolution ends with the VE ute in that they have ruined it altogether. From what I have seen so far, it looks like a Chev has mated with a Proton and created this abomination. The front looks like a normal VE Commodore, but the view from the rear gives the impression that your looking at an overwieght Proton Jumbuck ute. Still not sure about the overly flared wheel arches, I wasnt a fan of them when the VE was first released, and I'm not a fan of them now. And it still looks like your going to have very little visability when reversing....a problem that was made very clear in the Crewman's.
Anyway, now I've had my little rant, what do others think of it? Be interesting to hear other opinions of Holdens "most anticipated ute since the FJ"
:: :togo:

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well whilst i think its a stupid slogan (cos obviously their gonna have new models down the line) their marketing department has done a stellar job. i mean hell, how many threads have there been on this forum speculating about it and waiting for it to come out.
Old 31-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

and the advert is great, even its a holden they are advertising.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
twr7cx

The ad is cool!
Old 31-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Fantastic ad, has anyone seen the storage cabinet that slides on grooves in the tray? Great idea! Hats off to Holden for some innovation!

Holden seems to be moving their whole lineup towards sports/sports utility so its no surprise the ute is more 'poser' than ever, but considering the clientele its aimed at/the purpose its designed for, its a winner (as the wagon will be)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
ford_gal_86

Yeah Im not a fan of it at all. The back is like its a 'bitsa' (bit of everything.) Apparently it isn't built to hold a hell of a lot in the tray so I somehow don't think it will be popular with the tradies.
ford_gal_86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
boss-290

To be honest, I really like the look of the VE Ute in "Ute form", not sedan form.

Plus, their marketing flogs everyone and everything in its path.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I absolutley love it Holden is the pop star of car makers. Even when they release absolute ****, people just jump on the bad wagon.

Holden means a great deal to the bean counters at GM
Old 31-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If "Evolution ends here....." does that mean it's the last one? : or just false advertising :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think the ute looks great.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

the ute looks crap IMO!
it just looks all wrong, its like they mixxed sharp and rounded lines together.. seriously WTF??
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
F6T
Has V8 envy

the add is great. they look OK front on (and from certain angles) but side on and from the rear they look terrible. don't like the taillights how they wrap around the sides at the rear. Also, the rear end is jacked up too high. the look just doesn't flow.

Not my cup of tea.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
all4ford
XW 351

The ad is great and I like the new ute. I absolutely love the new Maloo. Well Done Holden/HSV!!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
If "Evolution ends here....." does that mean it's the last one? : or just false advertising :
I think the "Evolution ends here" throwaway is suggesting that a ute of the highest standing has realised, making everything else the equivalent of amoebas.

Holden once again have done a very good job at advertising.

Pity I don't like the look of the ute.

Funnily, I still prefer the Ford advertisement with Mr Frothy and the Metrosexual being pulled over for being alive.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Holden marketing as usual have done a great job, though the slogan is a bit dumb, it will continue to evolve.

I think Holden have done a good job with the VE and the ute is no exception. I still believe utes should have the tray integrated with the cab and not be a bolt on extra. Sorry Ford.

The VE includes some new features such as the below tray storage areas and they have firmly declared it's a sports ute and are not pretending it's anything else. So in that sense have left the tradey market for the Rodeo and are not trying to fill two markets with the one model, unlike Ford. Everything things from the RTV to XR and GT-like models are all based on the same leaf sprung platform, which can't be favouring the sports end of the market.

I do dislike the front styling treatment on the SS/SS-V models, however if the ute came in Calais spec I would sorely want one. Though I'd have a moral dilema as the V6 sucks and is a 6.0l V8 ute that would be used as a "gentlemans express" really acceptable in these times...
Old 31-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
rapom1

Like the looks or loath them. Its a sub 14 second car for under $40k (in SS manual form) and probably with 70% resale after 3 years to boot. No wonder there's a 3 month wait. I'd but one tomorow if dealers weren't chasing full RRP for them (because they can).
rapom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
BammasAUIIIXR8

Thanks AU2SW - I knew it was fugly but couldn't quite put my finger on what it reminded me of.

'overwieght Proton Jumbuck' sums it up perfectly !!!
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I still believe utes should have the tray integrated with the cab and not be a bolt on extra. Sorry Ford.
But do you understand why they have done it? Versalitility is the name of the game when it comes to designing a proper ute, not a show pony that can only take 350kg's of payload.

So when you say sorry to Ford, you are also apoligising to Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and even holden themselves when they created theier own "one tonner".

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #19
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
...So when you say sorry to Ford, you are also apoligising to Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and even holden themselves when they created theier own "one tonner"....
No Dan. IMHO Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi have never had a ute. They had and still have small pickups. Holden had both a ute and tonner (pickup) with the H-series Holdens (70's) and previous Commodore. I really consider the AU-BA/BF Falcon ute to be a sedan based pickup rather than a ute.
Old 31-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
No Dan. IMHO Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi have never had a ute. They had and still have small pickups. Holden had both a ute and tonner (pickup) with the H-series Holdens (70's) and previous Commodore. I really consider the AU-BA/BF Falcon ute to be a sedan based pickup rather than a ute.
Unfortunately Holden tried doing both but canned the 1 tonner as the development dollars were too much on their sales (yes I know one was IRS and the other live axle but there are other factors to consider).

The way Ford have gone means they can keep the tub as well still have their tonner, and keep their profit margins when the sales decrease.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good add, to bad the best ute in it is the 1st one they show!
Old 31-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think the ute looks great.
The ute and sportswagon looks great.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
t2te50
Banned

Saw one today and looks pox. Falcons look heaps tougher with the tray segregated from the cabin. Had 1 ton of steel in the back of the company xr6 ute the other day! I think their only rated at 600kg or something. Built ford tough.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #24
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i really like the new ute, only the "s" and maloo versions, they look better then the sedans and the maloo is the only good lookin HSV in the bunch
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #25
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Mate I'm not quite sure if you actually know what a ute is?? The original idea of what a ute is, says that it is a vehicle that is as comfortable, smooth and refined in the cabin/ under the bonnet as a family sedan/ coupe but still strong enough to be used for work.
The Falcon Ute does this perfectly, comfortable cab, exactly the same as Falcon sedan from the B pillar forward, But still strong enough from the back to hold a tonne of bricks in the tray, and tow 2 tonnes behind. The Holden Ute while it definitely is car like, it isn't tough enough for real work.
The fact the tray is connected to the body is not even relevant.
As for the Japanese 'utes' (Ranger, Hilux, Rodeo etc.) They really aren't utes at all because they aren't based on sedans. So in that point you were spot on
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #26
herbs

No dropside tray option = me not buying one.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #27
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
To be honest, I really like the look of the VE Ute in "Ute form", not sedan form.
I didn't know they made a VE Ute in "Sedan form"

Why wasn't i informed?!??!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #28
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I saw one today and it looked like a cupboard on its side with wheels.It looks too boxxy. Talk about payng out on the au ford.The new ute should have been used as an anchor for a boat.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #29
dave289
Banned

lets just face the facts.tha best thing about the ve ute is the commercial.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #30
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I'm still yet to see one on the road. And yes I do my fair bit of driving.