Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
gutza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Air Compressor Carnage

In the follow up video, the guy said he regularly drained the water, and gives his ideas about what happened.

Original video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_FJ6Pat4I

Follow up video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2LbTHfU5fQ
gutza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Air Compressor Carnage

Props to the tank, it wasnt a minor failure. It pulled the suicide bomber and took other things with it.
But surely the preasure releif valve isnt fine, or the cutoof switch is faulty. Tanks are rated, but rated to safe operating preasure, not failure pressure which is higher. That thing would have gone off like a bomb. Surely something audable of visual to indicate something wasnt correct.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

I agree with .:4:. comment the pressure relief valve most likely failed and the way the guy demonstrated the relief valve working working properly is questionable at best.
Could also be a failure of the tank itself but we won't know as it was not inspected by a qualified engineer.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

You'd think an over pressurised tank, or even a rusted one would either crack or blow a hole and lose preassure before going full on bomb explosion.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was about 6 months ago Dad called me and said his compressor was constantly cycling. When the motor stopped it would leak air for 30 to 60 sec or more and either stop or cycle some more. It had been playing up for a while and I figured it was either the pressure switch or maybe the check valve.

His compressor was very similar to the one in the vid. Commercial quality, 60L tank, big single belt driven cylinder, I think it ran at 145psi. Was about 20 to 22 years old at the time.

Found the pressure switch wasn't sealing properly and there was a leak from the regulator hoses. But was shocked to find a pinhole leak in the bottom of the tank. All the rusty water on the ground would say it had been leaking for a while.

Dad didn't give it alot of maintenance... If at all.

Undid the drain plug and nothing came out, even though I could hear water inside. Stuck a wire into the drain port and it was covered over by rust, all nice and crunchy. Removed a plug from the top and stuck a stick down and all I could feel and hear was rust crunching around.

Figured it was time for a new one. The very humid air here wouldn't have helped. But we count ourselves very lucky. This pin pr!ck hole could have been an explosion like this given what the inside of the tank felt like. Maybe it was the long time constant short leak after the compressor stopped that prevented a similar fate.

Incidentally, since the pump and motor were still in great condition and worth quite a chunk of cash, I put it up for sale as a pump and motor for $250. People were all over it like sh*t on a shoe. All focused on the $900 compressor for $250, even though I told them the tank was crap and not to be trusted they still wanted it.

The eventual buyer drove over an hour to collect it. Told him it was leaky and rusty. He said he was going to weld it up and use it.

Can only hope the poor b@stard is still alive.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Courtesy of the ever impressive YouTube algorithm, this showed up on my feed today... Rather enlightening.

2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
gutza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi arm.

Thanks for the video. Very interesting.

Cheers.
gutza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #8
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you look closely at the first video posted, the Tank has been welded on , note the drain valve on bottom of tank , and the welds around that area... His own Fault.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
if you look closely at the first video posted, the Tank has been welded on , note the drain valve on bottom of tank , and the welds around that area... His own Fault.
Good eye and good pickup.

Definitely not a pretty weld (although much prettier than any attempt I've ever made) and has definitely been added somewhere along the line. Most likely to repair a leak.

I didn't read the video comments before but I see alot of people commenting on the weld.

I suppose if they added that one, they could have made a repair near where the tank ripped open. But at a minimum it speaks to the overall integrity of the tank. If someone has made a repair for a leak then the rest of it wasn't so flash.

The first thing Dad said when we discovered the hole in his tank was "surely we can get it welded". 5 mins of quick research said yes it could be done, but overall it is a really really bad idea. Plus you'd only be repairing a tank with not so good insides. Lipstick on a pig as it were.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Illegal to reweld pressure tanks unless its certified after. So may as well go buy another $150 Compressor
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #11
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The weld near the drain point is certainly a worry.. red flag that the tank is sus

Good trick is to leave the drain bung open slightly to drain the water out
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #12
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
The weld near the drain point is certainly a worry.. red flag that the tank is sus

Good trick is to leave the drain bung open slightly to drain the water out
My compressor is setup like that too.

Regards,
George
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post