Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #1621
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
clearly i'm getting old, because when I see people drive like that now, I just think 'what a tosser'.
Diesel dual cab utes would have the highest average speed of all road users on the same road, so there is that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #1622
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Diesel dual cab utes would have the highest average speed of all road users on the same road, so there is that.
Tradies - always in a hurry, except when they're coming to your place
Old 05-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #1623
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this isn't really an accurate analogy. they aren't offering you a vegan burger. they are offering you a double meat burger. you just won't accept it because you thought it was going to be a triple meat burger....

more power, more torque, better economy and can go more places. whats the problem?

oh wait, the traffic light grand prix...
No mate its no double meat burger, with that engine it's more like a melted cheeseburger .

There's no question it's a great truck with its suspension and looks but its no freaking Raptor with a 2L diesel. You can polish a turd as much as you like but its still a turd.

The 10 speed is there to keep it on song and thus you'd have to consider that for most of its life it will be on song so there's also doubt the poor thing with have a long life span, which is going to cost.

"oh wait, the traffic light grand prix..."

Pffft nothing to do with it but knowing you have some lazy grunt on board when needing to pass etc is.

There will be a time when one will pull alongside and I will be in awe of its looks etc but then I will recall what's under the hood and reality will set it in.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #1624
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
No mate its no double meat burger, with that engine it's more like a melted cheeseburger .

There's no question it's a great truck with its suspension and looks but its no freaking Raptor with a 2L diesel. You can polish a turd as much as you like but its still a turd.

The 10 speed is there to keep it on song and thus you'd have to consider that for most of its life it will be on song so there's also doubt the poor thing with have a long life span, which is going to cost.
Have you seen the video Ford have posted, where they run it at full throttle for 18 days straight on a chassis dyno?

Driven one yet?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #1625
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Have you seen the video Ford have posted, where they run it at full throttle for 18 days straight on a chassis dyno?

Not knocking the ranger here, but I never trust anything ford says about it's "testing" Wasn't the ba "tested" for a million kilometres or something but somehow they never found all the issues owners had in the first 100 000
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #1626
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

But this isn't like a BA, it's more like a BF III
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #1627
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Driven one yet?
18 days at full throttle, yeah right if you believe that.

Why would I want to drive one when it now doesn't meet my needs.

I'm at the stage of wanting a new rig to see me out and the initial Raptor info was looking to be the goods. But then the engine killed it.

My current 4wd is old and doesn't have anywhere near the Raptors suspension but its engine performance would absolutely smoke a Raptor and there's noway I would take a big dump in that area so the 2L was so disappointing, considering the available US engines.

But hopefully future models may fix this.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #1628
spvd02

What - only 18 days? Why not 20, a nice round number? Too difficult? Running an engine for 18 days straight at full throttle is not an accurate simulation of daily use over several years. What about repeated cold starts, driving under load from low rpm (not just free-revving on a dyno). Diesel engines aren't all that stressed at maximum rpm anyway, as the slow-burning characteristics of the fuel prevents any potential over-load on moving parts, much like a rev-limiter on petrol engine. The 18 day test gives no indication as to how long this engine will last...
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #1629
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Saw my first Raptor on the road today, I must say it looked fantastic and more masculine then the Ranger Wildtrak.

I like them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #1630
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
What - only 18 days? Why not 20, a nice round number? Too difficult? Running an engine for 18 days straight at full throttle is not an accurate simulation of daily use over several years. What about repeated cold starts, driving under load from low rpm (not just free-revving on a dyno). Diesel engines aren't all that stressed at maximum rpm anyway, as the slow-burning characteristics of the fuel prevents any potential over-load on moving parts, much like a rev-limiter on petrol engine. The 18 day test gives no indication as to how long this engine will last...
They did.
both, cycling temperatures and running the engine flat out under full load
at 26 seconds, you can see the engine gauges are set a 3700 rpm and 375 nm of torque.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3OBo7_SjI

The engine has ben fully tested for other commercial vehicles like the FWD Euro Transit,
it's actually been out for a couple of years in other Euro vehicles.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-10-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #1631
spvd02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
They did.
both, cycling temperatures and running the engine flat out under full load
at 26 seconds, you can see the engine gauges are set a 3700 rpm and 375 nm of torque.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3OBo7_SjI

The engine has ben fully tested for other commercial vehicles like the FWD Euro Transit,
it's actually been out for a couple of years in other Euro vehicles.
Ok, then I stand corrected on that. The engine can handle sustained load as well as changes in operating temperature. A question still remains in my mind, however - while it may be able to withstand a range of operating conditions ( as it should ), does this indicate that the engine will last longer? Will it still operate well after a life of punishment, having covered 150K? I think larger capacity with similar output will hold a significant advantage here, which is why potential buyers would understandably veer towards the 3.2L, which would have been quite desirable with further development and refinement. Offering a 2L alternative does not satisfy these customers.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #1632
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
Ok, then I stand corrected on that. The engine can handle sustained load as well as changes in operating temperature. A question still remains in my mind, however - while it may be able to withstand a range of operating conditions ( as it should ), does this indicate that the engine will last longer? Will it still operate well after a life of punishment, having covered 150K? I think larger capacity with similar output will hold a significant advantage here, which is why potential buyers would understandably veer towards the 3.2L, which would have been quite desirable with further development and refinement. Offering a 2L alternative does not satisfy these customers.
And I get your skepticism but think about what you just said and what's been
happening with engne down sizing over the years.

You're now asking if the engine would last 150K when people used to ask if a
diesel would last 300K. The point being that they do and don't last, a heavy
fleet loaded Transit with 2.0 Ecoblue will more than pay for itself in improved
fuel economy over the old 2.2.....

but would the RR have been better off with a chipped and tuned 3.2 I-5 as a run to the finish
or was it more important to get a sub 2.0 litre engine in there for Asian and European markets?
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #1633
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Tradies - always in a hurry, except when they're coming to your place
No, most are towing a caravan / rented camper trailer on a freeway with kids in the back.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #1634
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and all of it claimed as business usage...
Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #1635
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Endurance testing of the engine included 18 Days of non stop full throttle use, I think it will probably be fine for day drive duties and week end warriors.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #1636
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Just sayin'

In reality its the diesel Territory effect, just buy a 50cc scooter for getting to work like i have and the Terri will make you feel like one of those tosser's when necessary.
From what I see, it's everything but stop light racing. Plenty of Utes and larger SUVs
prefer to slice through the traffic switching lanes left or right with little intent on stopping
or giving way unless someone makes them. Drive up a suburban street and old mates
driving out around a corner in front of you. No wonder there's so many crashes on the road.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #1637
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just wondering for anyone who has read the warranty section is there a clause that ford can void warranty if used in the conditions it was designed for
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #1638
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

several years ago, nobody thought the 3.2 could ever be made to run at Euro 6.2 emissions level which is would need to do so, for the life of this product. That's another reason why the 2.0 was developed. As it happens, the team at AVL did make is comply to Eu6.2 so the engine has a new lease of life.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #1639
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
several years ago, nobody thought the 3.2 could ever be made to run at Euro 6.2 emissions level which is would need to do so, for the life of this product. That's another reason why the 2.0 was developed. As it happens, the team at AVL did make is comply to Eu6.2 so the engine has a new lease of life.
I disagree, the Americans grabbed the 3.2 and used it in US Transit with SCR,
that's what allowed the Euros to meet Euro 6

The 2.0 diesel and its little 1.5 brother were developed to eliminate all the older
Ford based and PSA based diesels, the Puma design is now so out of date that
it has to be replaced - the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke is on the way.

European CO2 regulations are approaching the point of the 3.2 being removed
from segments where smaller more efficient engines can be used.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #1640
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner
18 days at full throttle, yeah right if you believe that.

Why would I want to drive one when it now doesn't meet my needs.

I'm at the stage of wanting a new rig to see me out and the initial Raptor info was looking to be the goods. But then the engine killed it.

My current 4wd is old and doesn't have anywhere near the Raptors suspension but its engine performance would absolutely smoke a Raptor and there's noway I would take a big dump in that area so the 2L was so disappointing, considering the available US engines.

But hopefully future models may fix this.

You spend an insane amount of time bitching about something you don't want.

And yeah the engine lab will quite often run engines at full song for very long periods.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #1641
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive finally driven a raptor. I was impressed with it in performance mode!

If anyones is looking to drive one spiritedly drive it in performance mode, it sounds and goes better.

Also you don't feel speed bumps at 80!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #1642
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

At what cost.

The earlier 3.2's go better then the current ones. Not sure what it is, smaller turbo, DPF or what. In fact mine does not go as good as it did prior to the 30,000 km service when it had a PCM update.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #1643
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
At what cost.

The earlier 3.2's go better then the current ones. Not sure what it is, smaller turbo, DPF or what. In fact mine does not go as good as it did prior to the 30,000 km service when it had a PCM update.
Most likely increased EGR rates, the later Euro 6 reduces NOX by 55%
and to do that, most manufacturers use increased EGR and SCR (adblue)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #1644
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Well I crawled all over (and under) this one yesterday at Euroa, show and shine trying to see what all the fuss is about.
I thought it would of had independent rear suspension, engine bay is super tight, passenger compartment looked OK, a little basic for what it costs but then I'm not into 4WD's. Maybe the white doesn't do it justice.

Quite liked the Mustang though.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #1645
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You spend an insane amount of time bitching about something you don't want.

And yeah the engine lab will quite often run engines at full song for very long periods.
This is a forum.

Again you missed the point as the vid shows its put on a chassis dyno and then supposedly for 18 days straight !!!! For 18 days at full throttle as is inferred without major diff and trans coolers etc they would give up let alone the engine. Total crap if you believe that.

Yes, they do test engines on ENGINE dyno's for lengthy periods but even on an engine dyno none would survive full throttle for 18 continuous days.

I assume you have seen Fords vid torture testing the F150 V6 ecoboost where they ENGINE dyno it at full throttle for 1 HOUR and then do separate hot and cold running tests etc etc all done over a period of weeks.

The guy in this vid infers a 18 day porkie and you believe it
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #1646
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is a forum.

Again you missed the point as the vid shows its put on a chassis dyno and then supposedly for 18 days straight !!!! For 18 days at full throttle as is inferred without major diff and trans coolers etc they would give up let alone the engine. Total crap if you believe that.

Yes, they do test engines on ENGINE dyno's for lengthy periods but even on an engine dyno none would survive full throttle for 18 continuous days.

I assume you have seen Fords vid torture testing the F150 V6 ecoboost where they ENGINE dyno it at full throttle for 1 HOUR and then do separate hot and cold running tests etc etc all done over a period of weeks.

The guy in this vid infers a 18 day porkie and you believe it
You may want to do a bit of reading on how Ford do their torture testing.
Things like running it flat out until it's red hot, then shutting it down and filling it up with -20° chilled water until the block forms dew all over it and then doing it again, and again and again for weeks on end.
Or how they run them flat out for 2 and a half months. 18 days....pfft.

That's only a small part of their torture testing.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #1647
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I disagree,
PX2 Ranger currently meets Eu6.1 with Puma and SCR, but PX3 is required to meet Eu6.2 from Sept this year. It is the step from 6.1 to 6.2 that was thought not possible (same as the Barra Eu3-Eu4 ??). Puma extension program by AVL made is work somehow

your other points are valid and Puma clearly has a finite life.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #1648
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For 18 days at full throttle as is inferred without major diff and trans coolers etc they would give up let alone the engine. Total crap if you believe that.
bzzzt! wrong!

not least, because temperatures would have stabilised within a couple of hours. pretty basic thermodynamics.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #1649
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Mercury Bullet;6200676]

Oh boy. Did you not read the following

"I assume you have seen Fords vid torture testing the F150 V6 ecoboost where they ENGINE dyno it at full throttle for 1 HOUR and then do separate hot and cold running tests etc etc all done over a period of weeks.

Yes, I know they do all sorts of torture testing over a period of time including hot to cold on an engine dyno and at max rpm etc and in the V6 ecoboost tests this was at 1 hour intervals.

But the muppet in the vid says

"Next the ultimate endurance test, full throttle for 18 days straight" and its shown doing this on a chassis dyno in 4wd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3OBo7_SjI

Bossxr8 then quoted this to me in response to my previous general reply to Prydey and I then called it that dudes statement has to be BS.

Now you're coming on board saying "Or how they run them flat out for 2 and a half months. 18 days....pfft."

Huh. 2 1/2 months !!! Mate, I think you're getting a tad mixed up between continuous and your flat out .

"You may want to do a bit of reading on how Ford do their torture testing."

Do you have a link ?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #1650
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
PX2 Ranger currently meets Eu6.1 with Puma and SCR, but PX3 is required to meet Eu6.2 from Sept this year. It is the step from 6.1 to 6.2 that was thought not possible (same as the Barra Eu3-Eu4 ??). Puma extension program by AVL made is work somehow.
Ford's modelling software didn't include the new test cycles
The Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP)
and Real Driving Emissions measured on an actual road course.

AVL did a great job but i noticed comments in the US with the latest 3.2 Transit
not seeming to have as much poke as the older versions, maybe they had to
tone it down to keep compliance in all the areas now measured / monitored.