Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Mondeo?
Yes 34 75.56%
No 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default If written off, would you buy another one?

I monstered a bloke in the carpark this evening, with a very simple question...

If your Mondeo was written off, would you buy another one?

Response (after a pause, deep thoughts, and trying to find the right words)
>> Yes...

Any major problems ?
>> Only Ford Customer Care
(Ah...so that explains the pause for right words!!)

This is a type of comment I've heard before on this forum.
Good car, room for improvement in after sales service.

So, for you owners out there.....Would Ya Go Round Again?
(I fully accept only keen car nuts haunt these forums, so biased answer expected.)

allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
warren77

Well I pay for the 4 years "new for old" car insurance.
So definitely.

But agree with you...Ford after sales services suxs
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wish i could be part of Ford's customer care department, when i go into the bank or something, it's just so damn easy the service is great, Ford need customer service like that!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would for sure. easily the best car i've ever had.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would especially with the newer auto & engines but again service sucks especially with the hi-tech stuff

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
i would for sure. easily the best car i've ever had.
Wait until you get Bluefin...then you will not stop smiling!
Old 19-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'm the same with the service from Ford CSC.
Most of the dealers don't know much about them, particularly when they first came out, so it was up to us to tell them what the issues were, and even then they didn't believe us. They work on the 'keep saying no and they'll give up' method of customer service.
My major issue was the tailgate dripping water (fixed), and the battery going flat and causing some issues. First was CSC, even though they didn't approve it, and second was a flat battery - not much can be done about that.
I'm waiting for the Titanium diesel wagon and will probably lease one of those in Jan when mines up.
Are any of the other car company's customer service centres any better?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
mighty-mon

A definite YES from me too!! (Well as long as it was an XR5 Turbo model or some other hi-po donk)
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mondeo is great. I love it. But I think I'd try something different. Back into an Aussie built car again. Not sure which one.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Are any of the other car company's customer service centres any better?
I had two subis for 7 years.
No issues with customer service at all.

Had a clutch replaced at 48,000km as it was making noises. No problems or them trying to avoid it. Offered me a loan car for two days but didn't need it as I was travelling.
Another issue where Subi were amazing, was I was having issues with my car alarm (not fitted by subi). Would not work in my drive way.
They had the car for 4 times over 10 day period, trying to find the issue. Each time I was given a car, and my car was washed and cleaned. Turns out it was my home door bell (wireless) stuck in the on position cancelling out the signal.

So my Subi experience has been excellent.

My biggest gripe with Ford is the lack of knowledge on a product they are selling.
Old 20-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Of all the different car brands I've owned over the years Ford is by far the worst where after sales service is concerned. Honda were the best over a 6 year period where we owned 2 each of the Accord Euro and CRV's. The quality of car was excellent as well. We now own a Mondeo XR5 and a Ford Territory and it's fair to say the levels of service at Ford is underwhelming at best and zero care factor at worst. We love our territory for the practicality. Having four sons we needed the extra space and seats. Territory isn't quite 3 years old but has more squeaks and rattles and bits and pieces falling off than anything we've had in the past. Strange as it may seem we love the car. It's comfortable to ride in and has a great engine but the quality is not quite Honda. Factor in the service from Ford (or lack thereof) we may not go back to Ford for our next car(s). Mondeo XR5 is a dream though and still loving every minute of it. Interesting article in the Australian newspaper yesterday said that Dealerships make more money in after sales transactions ie servicing and parts than they do with actual selling of cars hence they are moving their best sales people from direct car sales to the back end (parts & servicing). Can't see that has happened at Ford yet. Appalling. Only wish they read these forums.
DAGGLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

If the XR5 was still available then yes, since it's not I'd most likely go for another maker.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
r2d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
If the XR5 was still available then yes, since it's not I'd most likely go for another maker.

I am of the same opinion. The mondeo is a great car, lots of room. However, no XR5 means new car next year. So bring on the new Territory Turbo.

I love a car with a hairdryer.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Thanks peoples...great responses. Mirrors other posts on this forum. Generally positive, a few product niggles but some bigger service-related issues.

I would agreee with the comment above about Subaru customer service, and along with Mazda, these new car sales people know their product.

Ford is not alone with sub-standard service. I've also walked out of a Toyota dealer whilst waiting for someone to get back to me when trying to buy a new car (some years ago now - bought the Subie instead).
Old 23-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Vail XR5...saw a comment on this forum yesterday about 'definite XR5 replacement'.
We can but live in hope, just make it a normal manual p-l-e-a-s-e.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2
I am of the same opinion. The mondeo is a great car, lots of room. However, no XR5 means new car next year. So bring on the new Territory Turbo.

I love a car with a hairdryer.
Are you sure Ford is going to do a Turbo Terri?
There will be a diesel Terri for sure.

But maybe not a performance version.
Old 24-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Are you sure Ford is going to do a Turbo Terri?
There will be a diesel Terri for sure.

But maybe not a performance version.
Just for you Warren

http://www.caradvice.com.au/68675/20...coboost-spied/

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
HelenG
Starter Motor

Hi Everyone, I have a 1995 Mondeo. What a disaster! Have seen the new Mondeo but have purchased a Rav. After all the problems I have had with the Mondeo I could never look at another Ford
HelenG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

Not is a million years!
Fent-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenG
Hi Everyone, I have a 1995 Mondeo. What a disaster! Have seen the new Mondeo but have purchased a Rav. After all the problems I have had with the Mondeo I could never look at another Ford
^^It's that close minded attitude of Australian's that cost the Mondeo(and Ford for that matter) so many sales(its reputation), imagine they made the mondeo and put a Camry badge on it, the sales would be huge. Hell stick a corolla badge on the focus too.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #21
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenG
Helen, i'm interested that you'd let a bad experience with a model built 15 years ago influence how you felt?? besides the fact there's been at least 2 model changes since then, it's like saying because 486SX IBM Compatible PC's were crap that our current PC's are crap too... makes no sense, sorry...

@ Fent-Dog, would you care to elaborate?? have you an MA or MB Mondeo and if so, what is it about it that makes you feel that way??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at

Last edited by mondo_broady; 07-07-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
christophera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
^^It's that close minded attitude of Australian's that cost the Mondeo(and Ford for that matter) so many sales(its reputation), imagine they made the mondeo and put a Camry badge on it, the sales would be huge. Hell stick a corolla badge on the focus too.
It would take more than a Toyota badge to improve Ford's quality control. There are plenty of reasons why they sell more cars than Ford. People buying Toyotas know that they are getting a quality product that will hold its value. They also know that if something does go wrong then Toyota will do what they can to fix it.
It's no accident that they are consistently the best selling cars.
christophera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #23
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Hmm, good question.

Am I happy with the car? Absolutely.
Would I buy another without checking out other options? Probably not...

Bought the TDCi for the economy, which is brilliant on the highway. Unfortunately it spends 90% of its time in peak-hour (well, Adelaide peak-half-hour, but getting worse lately).

I was trying to be a bit 'green' with this purchase, as well as reducing my running costs, so perhaps the Mondeo wasn't the ultimate choice for my needs.

I also have the X-Trail, which does plenty of highway and off-roading, so it seems my best combination would be:

- a medium-size diesel 4WD (ie Challenger, Santa Fe, or even Terri if it ever appears)
- possibly a *shudder* hybrid for the city, ie Camry Hybrid

I feel that's a better solution for my needs, the diesel for the touring car and the hybrid for stop-start city stuff. But either vehicle could perform the other's role pretty well anyway if needed.

But I'm happy enough to stay with what I've got for the time being
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd buy a Skoda Superb wagon...
Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #25
ADunn
Starter Motor

Interesting the comments about Toyota quality. I left Toyota for Ford. I had a 2000 Camry Conquest Wagon. In its first year the paint job started to disintegrate and it had to be re-painted under warranty. Eight years on from that the clear coat started to come away. No such issues with my parents 20 year old EA Falcon. Was also annoyed by the getting holes in the fuel tank a couple of times. Looked at all the options when replacing the Camry and the Mondeo seemed the best value. Main criteria was size. As you can imagine, coming from the 2.2l Camry I have no complaints about the performance of the Mondeo. Hopefully when this question is asked in a couple of years time I would still say yes.
ADunn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #26
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Toyota paint - I had same problem on an 88 Camry (ownership being an aberration I'd prefer to forget - great aircon but sticking speedo and tach needles cost me a speeding fine - 95 in 80 zone with no other traffic !! Quickly exit Camry stage left...)
In contrast, 20yr old Honda paint still shone like new, 'til some light fingered lads bent the metal underneath (grrrr).
Hope the Moondust Silver Mondeo paint stands up to Oz sun.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

[QUOTE=mondo_broady]Helen, i'm interested that you'd let a bad experience with a model built 15 years ago influence how you felt?? besides the fact there's been at least 2 model changes since then, it's like saying because 486SX IBM Compatible PC's were crap that our current PC's are crap too... makes no sense, sorry...QUOTE]

My professional experience suggests that what Helen is saying is absolutely correct. It's not about a model, it's about a brand, and brand perceptions.

To take your analogy further, if I have had a really bad experience with an IBM, I'll say "Stuff buying another IBM, I'll buy a Sony" And if that new Sony is good, then that will further reinforce why I wouldn't bother going back to an IBM. Why would you? There are lots of really good alternatives out there

The fact is, the car industry (like the PC market) is full of very good brands with very good products. And if you stuff me around once, then there are lots of alternatives for me to look at. You'll have to give me a REALLY good reason to come back and consider you. A brand has to earn the right to even be considered again, irrespective of how long ago the bad experience is.

Is the current Mondeo a very good car? Of course it is. But there are lots of other very good cars out there to choose from. And the other Helen's out there don't owe Ford a thing
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Agree with melbzetec. It's not Helen's problem, it's Ford's. You can't afford to put out a sub-par car in the current market. It will haunt you for years...

Think EA quality, AU styling (subjective I know)... and Helen's experience with the 95 Mondeo...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think thats close minded though, to base your assumption's on a previous model. I am not doubting for a second that thats the way it goes today, because i know it does. I just dont think it's right though.

Test-drive a car, and base it on it's own merit, not it's predecessors.

Then again, some may call me close minded in saying i will only ever buy a Ford. I really think the Mondeo is a solid car, but it isn't really a class leader, I hope it will become one though.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #30
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll stand by what i said, it makes no logical sense.

btw the point of my analogy was just because one type of something is crap, it doesn't stand to reason that they're all crap, especially 15years down the track.

anyway....