Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Newcomer

Hi there,

I'm Ivan and I just got my WQ Fiesta LX 3-door auto on Friday. I'm STOKED, what'a car. It was the best new car (imo) I could get for $20,000 or less. Thought about the Zetec, but when I found out the cost to replace those 195/45's... I decided to go with the LX. :/

I'll take a few pics if anyone's interested.

So what kind of Fiestas do yous have?

Ives

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Heya, welcome to our little family, hope we can all be helpful...... watch out some of the ladies get a bit testy at times.......
I've got an diamond white 04 LX (WP obviously)
Cheers,
Carey

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the model before the new one (no idea what it's called), ink blue and alot of dents/crashes on it

Oh it's an Auto too (: Welcome to the Auto family!
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

So how much are the tyres? I didn't think about that when I got mine.
Old 28-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #5
TheColonel

WQ Zetec in Panther Black here Who cares about tyres... he he he
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
Heya, welcome to our little family, hope we can all be helpful...... watch out some of the ladies get a bit testy at times.......
I've got an diamond white 04 LX (WP obviously)
Cheers,
Carey
Thanks for the welcome, man. I'll keep an eye out for those testy ladies Diamond white's pretty cool, man. I was tossing up between diamond white, moondust silver and panther black. Ended up with panther black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
I have the model before the new one (no idea what it's called), ink blue and alot of dents/crashes on it

Oh it's an Auto too (: Welcome to the Auto family!
Cool! but not so cool on the dents and crashes Yeah, I got the auto cos 50% of the time the traffic to and from work are bump-to-bump. And i wont take this baby on a track anyway.

Well.. when I got my L's, no one has a manual car for me to practice on.. so I still cant drive a manual :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
So how much are the tyres? I didn't think about that when I got mine.
I asked K-Mart Tyre & Auto (when I was researching on the car)... it was $295 each and that's the cheapest : . It wasnt some cheap brand, I couldnt remember the brand.. only remembered the cost of each tyre :/
The guy even said "we never had a customer who needed 195/45 R16s before".

The tires on the LX now is a 195/50 R15s and I can get that replaced for $130-135. Less than half the price of 195/45 R16s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
WQ Zetec in Panther Black here Who cares about tyres... he he he
Heeey! nice colour isn't it. Ah colonel, maybe you have the financial strength to replace those 4 tires no problem but I just feel $1200 is a bit too much for a set of tires.
Old 28-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Hey Ivan, Welcome!

My Fiesta is a 2005 WP Zetec (its in my avatar pic). It's manual with ROH rims. I've had it for a bit over a year now, and I'm really happy with it!

Enjoy your new car mate,
-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Newbie

Hey !

welcome to the forums.. im mitch. 04 colorado red fiesta.

LMAO @ kmart tyre center. The only rubber they know about is for falcons and commodores.

195/45/16 isnt too dear at all. check tyres out like nankang. you will be suprised at the price.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Continentals are a top notch tyre and very surprising to see on a "budget" model vehicle like the Fiesta. Good on Ford for fitting decent tyres!

IMHO tyres are part of your insurance policy ie. better to pay a bit more because they might save you from a serious accident or death one day!
Old 28-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Swaytan
Swaytan

Jeans Blue WP LX here.

Re: Tyres - I'm getting a new Black WQ Zetec mid next month. I couldn't care less how much the tyres cost, as I get a car allowance from work, so it's all tax deductible...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Welcome!

Great cars... I had the WP Zetec before, and they are great cars. Very easy to drive (again... I saw that today by driving Mitch's car). Hope it brings you happy driving days!

As for Tyres - Surely they can't be that much! My top of the range Michelins in 205/45R16s are $280

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I'll take a few pics if anyone's interested.

So what kind of Fiestas do yous have?
Ives
Welcome Ivan, .....yea, get some pics up, Iv'e got a WQ Zetec in Diamond White, had it for about a month now, eats tarted up Lancers and Suzi Swifts for Brekky....lol, hope ya enjoy ya new car, Panther Black is pretty sweet too imho. :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

G'day Ivan. I've got a WP 3 door LX manual since October. Most fun I've had driving has been in my Fez (although my $200 Fiat 131 trumped it for value for money :P). You'll be enjoying long Sunday afternoon drives in no time as well!
Old 28-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Hey Ivan, Welcome!

My Fiesta is a 2005 WP Zetec (its in my avatar pic). It's manual with ROH rims. I've had it for a bit over a year now, and I'm really happy with it!

Enjoy your new car mate,
-Dan
Sweet, looks good, Dan.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Hey !

welcome to the forums.. im mitch. 04 colorado red fiesta.

LMAO @ kmart tyre center. The only rubber they know about is for falcons and commodores.

195/45/16 isnt too dear at all. check tyres out like nankang. you will be suprised at the price.
Hi Mitch, I was thinking of getting a white LX. It contrast well with the headlights. But settled with Panther Black

Have you replaced your tires yet? if so, how much did each cost? (and what tyre was it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
The Continentals are a top notch tyre and very surprising to see on a "budget" model vehicle like the Fiesta. Good on Ford for fitting decent tyres!
That's why the Zetec feels like it's super-glued to the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Jeans Blue WP LX here.

Re: Tyres - I'm getting a new Black WQ Zetec mid next month. I couldn't care less how much the tyres cost, as I get a car allowance from work, so it's all tax deductible...
Oh, that's fantastic if they're tax deductible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Welcome!

As for Tyres - Surely they can't be that much! My top of the range Michelins in 205/45R16s are $280
Thanks Teki, hmm..yeah I might double check on the tyre cost again. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Welcome Ivan, .....yea, get some pics up, Iv'e got a WQ Zetec in Diamond White, had it for about a month now, eats tarted up Lancers and Suzi Swifts for Brekky....lol, hope ya enjoy ya new car, Panther Black is pretty sweet too imho. :
Thanks, dude. Yes i'll post pics up in a minute

Diamond white is a nice colour for WQ Fiesta (nice contrast with the head light unit.. as I said a lil earlier ).
So you cleaned up Lancers n Swifts ay? Are you driving manual or auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
G'day Ivan. I've got a WP 3 door LX manual since October. Most fun I've had driving has been in my Fez (although my $200 Fiat 131 trumped it for value for money :P). You'll be enjoying long Sunday afternoon drives in no time as well!
Sweet, that's a nice colour!

Yeah "MISTA_FIESTA" (Damian?) invited me to the Fiesta/Focus cruize, but couldn't make it as I already have plans for the day. Hopefully next time! :1syellow1

Here are some pics... not the best pics (cos I was in a hurry :/ ). I'll post better pics next time.

See the interim label? it's that new.
Old 29-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=HyperKid]
Thanks, dude. Yes i'll post pics up in a minute

Diamond white is a nice colour for WQ Fiesta (nice contrast with the head light unit.. as I said a lil earlier ).
So you cleaned up Lancers n Swifts ay? Are you driving manual or auto?
QUOTE]

Ya new Fez looks good Hyperkid, nothing like that new car smell is there.
Mine is a manual, the Zetec gear ratios as you may know are set for a bit of extra "Zing" off the line over the LX but not as good on the highway....revs higher than the LX in 5th gear....."Ford engineering stuff up imho",......... because of the gear ratios in the Zetec being so short, particularly 1st it is certainly capable of launching off the mark pretty quickly, hence leaving 1500cc Lancers and Swifts still only thinking about going somewhere while the Fez is off zinging its way down the road......"at least it makes for some good morning fun on the way to work, breaks up the drudgery of it all",....... my other car is an 1800cc Lancer so I know what thats capable of, a lot taller geared than the Fez, not so quick off the mark, would show the Fez up on the highway though.
Old 29-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #16
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, robjh80!

Your Zetec sounds good! Ah I havent taken my Fez to the highway yet (maybe soon). Also I havent really open up the throttle, cos I wanna run the engine in first.

Speaking about engine run-in... what's the ideal Kms? any opinions?
Old 30-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My advice (others may disagree):

Take it easy on your brakes for the first couple of hundred km, vary engine revs and don't sit on the same revs for any period- no full throttle or high revs (say over 4000RPM) until over 1000km. Would be worth changing the oil after around 4000km to something decent if you're planning on keeping it long term. With a manual taking it easy with the gear changes for the first couple of thousand will help with shift action later in life. With an auto drive it manually sometimes to rev the engine a bit without using full throttle.

We're currently running in the wife's new Mazda 6 and it's just done over 1000km. Gave it a full throttle squirt the other day and it goes very well!
Old 30-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #18
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The weekend I got my car I took it for a drive up to the Riverland which managed to get about 500kms of nice constant highway driving in very quickly. Still, I took it easy for the first 1000km too.
Old 30-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
My advice (others may disagree):

Take it easy on your brakes for the first couple of hundred km, vary engine revs and don't sit on the same revs for any period- no full throttle or high revs (say over 4000RPM) until over 1000km. Would be worth changing the oil after around 4000km to something decent if you're planning on keeping it long term. With a manual taking it easy with the gear changes for the first couple of thousand will help with shift action later in life. With an auto drive it manually sometimes to rev the engine a bit without using full throttle.

We're currently running in the wife's new Mazda 6 and it's just done over 1000km. Gave it a full throttle squirt the other day and it goes very well!
I see.

Regarding the oil, you mean the one that's in every new Fiestas "is not that good"?

On the "service booklet", it said that she needs SAE 5W-30.... anyone use different grades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
The weekend I got my car I took it for a drive up to the Riverland which managed to get about 500kms of nice constant highway driving in very quickly. Still, I took it easy for the first 1000km too.
Sweet!, yeah Im not thrashing the car at the moment. The Odo is still about 200kms and 3000rpm is the highest rev I've ever done.
Old 30-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Looking good mate. I remeber driving out of the show room like it was 2 months ago, in fact it was. Best feeling in a new car. Only up to 2600km, but loving the way she drives.
Old 30-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #21
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=HyperKid]I see.

Regarding the oil, you mean the one that's in every new Fiestas "is not that good"?

On the "service booklet", it said that she needs SAE 5W-30.... anyone use different grades?
QUOTE]

No idea what oil is in the Fez from new, Iv'e done 2000km in mine, just waiting to get over the 3000km complimentary service and then I'll drain the oil out and fill it up with "Mobil 1" 5W-30 grade which comes in the Gold container.
The wifes Lancer gets "Mobil 1" 5W-50" grade which comes in the Silver container.
Always used Mobil 1 in all my cars, I remember reading an oil test in one of the mags a long time ago where they stuck BMW 3 Series cars on rollers, filled them up with various oils and then basically ran them constantly for something like 500,000kms or something like that only stopping for regular servicing, refuelling etc, cant exactly remember the details, but anyway the upshot was that after the cars had done the miles the engines were then stripped down and all the components were rigorously tested for wear using micrometers etc, I remember reading that the car with the Mobil 1 in it had the least wear and the comment was something like "the components in this test car showed little or no wear from the measurements taken before the test commenced".........won me over from that day on.
Old 30-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Looking good mate. I remeber driving out of the show room like it was 2 months ago, in fact it was. Best feeling in a new car. Only up to 2600km, but loving the way she drives.
Thanks kiwijohn!

Does she still have that new-car smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
No idea what oil is in the Fez from new, Iv'e done 2000km in mine, just waiting to get over the 3000km complimentary service and then I'll drain the oil out and fill it up with "Mobil 1" 5W-30 grade which comes in the Gold container.
The wifes Lancer gets "Mobil 1" 5W-50" grade which comes in the Silver container.
Always used Mobil 1 in all my cars, I remember reading an oil test in one of the mags a long time ago where they stuck BMW 3 Series cars on rollers, filled them up with various oils and then basically ran them constantly for something like 500,000kms or something like that only stopping for regular servicing, refuelling etc, cant exactly remember the details, but anyway the upshot was that after the cars had done the miles the engines were then stripped down and all the components were rigorously tested for wear using micrometers etc, I remember reading that the car with the Mobil 1 in it had the least wear and the comment was something like "the components in this test car showed little or no wear from the measurements taken before the test commenced".........won me over from that day on.
So you're a Mobil 1 fanatic?

Just kidding.

That's interesting, though. I'll keep that in mind.