Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 206GTi vs Fiesta

Has anyone test driven a 206GTi and compared it to the Fiesta LX/ Fiesta Zetec? How does the handling compare????

Old 25-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

From the reviews - I'd say they are two different cars. The Fiesta might handle better/as good... but it wouldn't have the luxuries or the power.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power doesn't worry me so much. Handling does.

Being a former Peugeot owner (306 S16) I'd love to get a secondhand GTi/ GTi 180, but they have their issues and I need a reliable car that's not going to cost a mint to fix every second week!

How's your Clio too Steven? That's another one I'll be looking at secondhand.
Old 26-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Swaytan
Swaytan

I think cars have a lot to do with the people that drive them too...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

True, thrashed Camrys aren't exactly thick on the ground...
Old 26-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
How's your Clio too Steven? That's another one I'll be looking at secondhand.
Unbelievable! I'm loving every second of it. Just got it back. Seems I have a one-of-a-kind problem with mine. Oh well... Just drive it and it rewards with a nice big smile.

For the money, nothing beats it!

If your after S16 performance, not sure the Fiesta will reward. Definitely check it out though. I was looking at one (or GTi6 or XSi) when getting the Fiesta. Ended up with the Fiesta because parents demanded that the car be new. So... I had no choice. Out of the new (off the lot) cars, the Fiesta was great value for money.

Had I been allowed to drive a second hand car - Definitely would have been an XSi (2001 model)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 26-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I came from an old 306 XR & even those handle exceptionally well, just not real powerful. A good GTI6 cost nearly as much as my new Zetec, & GTI 180's are around 28g. About as much as a new polo GTI. It's an odd market for similar sized cars. The Zetec doesn't lack much that the Polo has (35kw, rear discs, few more airbags & traction control) Actually the Polo has quite a bit more. The Zetec seems to be in no mans land between the more expensive Euro's & the cheaper Asian cars.
Old 26-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a Fiesta Zetec wouldn't handle as well as my old 306 S16?

I bought the ST24 after the S16 and was never happy with the handling- ended up selling it last year. Now I'm alternating between driving the wife's old '96 Excel (shes's just got a new Mazda 6 : ) and a Daihatsu Feroza....

The plan is to sell both the Excel and Feroza, add in some more $$$ (hopefully $10000 max?) and get myself something that's nice to drive again. Size isn't important as I prefer small cars (as long as a 186cm tall person can fit in comfortably.)

My current favourite is the Fiesta Zetec, but I haven't seen the WQ in the flesh or driven one. The 206 GTi sprung to mind as they are within reach second hand- BUT I've still got bad memories from my S16 (electrical issues, ECU replaced, second gear and synchro at 1000km etc.) From what I read they don't appear to have improved much?
Old 27-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kiwijohn42 posted the following quote from the latest Wheels magazine

"The WQ Fiesta Zetec is the cheapest real drivers car you can buy. "

in the following thread

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=46501

I had a read of this article in the magazine, the author was quite taken with the new WQ Zetec, and these guys of course get to drive every car on the planet for a living, "what a tough way to make a buck!!", might be worth getting your hands on a copy, even at the local library perhaps and having a quick read.

My only concern with the new Fez,......and.......... "I know I keep dragging it up"........... but for any new prospective buyers out there I think they need to be aware of the rust issue in the new WQ models, be prepared to get under your new Fez if you decide to go that way with a bottle of quality brand Rust Converter "because all the WQ's are plagued with this issue", all detailed in the following link, you may of course already have read it,

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=47415
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. I had already read the suspension rust issue post (first thing I did was search for "Fiesta problem" )- it was pleasing to not find too many posts. Try doing the same thing for a 206 GTi on a Peugoet forum !

I've also got that copy of Wheels and have read the article, but unfortunately it was only a quick drive type review and not a full test. Have there been any full reviews done yet by an Aussie mag?

(BTW some of that Lanolin based rust preventative spray would probably be the go for the suspension? It's supposed to be good stuff.)
Old 27-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #11
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Wheels had a WP Zetec in a handling shootout a while ago. It could pull more G's in a corner than a Liberty GT. That was without the sports suspension the WQ gets. Iv'e seen the same WQ 5dr in 3 british mags, but it was a 1.4. They rate it quite well, but there is some quality opposition for it in europe.
Old 27-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
FlaminFiesta

i went for a ride in a 206GTi 180 man it was poor build quality, sound was awful and bad handling but.. it had power !! for everyday i would go fiesta for pure power 206.. again i was disgusted with the poor interior quality!!
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

For $23,000 you can find a good example of a RenaultSport Clio 172.... With ESP too

Old 27-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sorry for the short reply before...

But back on topic,

If you do a search (in this sub-forum... Fiesta) you will find my Clio vs Fiesta review.

In short - the Fiesta (lowered with better tyres) can pull the corner as well as the Clio, however the Clio can get some nice controllable oversteer (which I experienced last night ). The Clio then has more speed on the exit too, and pulls away on the straight. The brakes are much better, and ESP is always there to catch you if need be. The Clio also has a deep and nice sound from 5,000rpm... where it literally screams and propells itself... to the speed limit!

The Fiesta was much easier to drive harder (as it was more understeer bias), revved nicely... and the gearbox doesn't rattle whilst idling! The Fiesta was also bigger interior wise, and had a smaller steering wheel, and better seating postion but....

The Clio has much better seats, which make up for the awkward-at-first seating position. I must admit, the seating position is odd as it is almost upright... and hence you can't do lean back styles. However, for the twisties and track work, the seating position ends up being great.

Old 27-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=Clio

There you go!

I suggest checking out the following;
- Ford Fiesta Zetec
- Suzuki Swift S (just so you can see how great the Fiesta is and handles)
- Peugeot 206GTi (later model ones with multispoke wheels... not the first one with I think it was 5 spoke alloys)
- Peugeot 306 GTi6 (good luck finding one!)
- RenaultSport Clio 172
- Ford Focus Zetec Mk1

*EDIT*
Oh, and how could I forget. Holden Barina SRi. This really does seem like the car you are after too.... Small, powerful, handles well. Bang For Your Buck champ under $30k!

Good luck with it!

Old 28-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #16
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Steven, thanks for the link. Your Clio looks very nice, although buying something smaller than the Fiesta scares me a little bit!?

I drove a 306GTi6 back when they were first launched. The suspension is exactly the same as my S16 had, but the engine and brakes were everything my S16 should have had.

I've also had a short drive in an auto Focus mark1 and was very impressed by the handling. However the interior.... well.... the most polite thing I can say is "YUCK! What were they thinking?"

I had a close look at a WQ Zetec this afternoon. It looks a lot better in the flesh than the photos I've seen (and Phantom Black looks awesome.) There was plenty of space for me in the front; the back was tiny- but no surprises there. Overall the interior was plain but functional.

The Swift I've ruled out. While they sound like they're OK to drive and are styled very nicely, I'd never buy any car that doesn't have protection strips on the doors. Sounds silly, but nothing peeves me more than having dings in your doors from ignorant pricks throwing open their car doors.
Old 28-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, it is a little smaller then the Fiesta. Why should you worry about rear passengers anyway? You get a foot rest (which Fiesta doesn't have), better seats and more visibility. So, who cares about the passengers? Lets worry about the driver

Haha - Yea I was told the S16 wasn't so polished. Hence I didn't even bother with it.

Yea, the Interior of the mk1 Focus needs to grow on you. The controls are well placed, but the looks of it are just pathetic!

I disliked the WQ Zetec when it came out, but I'm liking it more now (bar a few things). Interior was plain? I quite like the dash... it looks great! Speedo is a little weird with the increase in speed.

The rear of the Swift also looks weird. Def not something I like. Just thought it would be a good comparison for the Fiesta.

So, what about the Barina SRi? 1.8L, 4 wheel discs, sports highlights in the dash, projector headlights (in the newer and harder to find models) and 16inch wheels too.

Old 28-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've read a few bad things about the gearboxes and stuff like that with the European Holdens. My wife's cousin had an SRi Astra that decided to let go at around 21000km - conrod through the block!? Apparently it's happened to a few of them?

The left footrest missing in the Fiesta was very noticeable. I sat in one yesterday and went to place my foot to the left of the clutch pedal only to discover the tunnel in the floor prevented me from doing so. Guess it's something you'd get used to?
Old 28-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Guess it's something you'd get used to?
Kind of... I just left my foot resting ontop of the clutch (not pressing on it though).

But on highways it gets annoying... So I just put my foot near the seat (as If i was sitting on a chair).

I guess you will get used to it.

Yea, I've heard of some problems with the Astra 1.8L block - mainly that of the need for premium unleaded... and something about the ECU screwing up constantly. That said, I have two family friends with problem free Astra CD and CDXis.

Seems like your very set on the Fiesta now though - So... I guess all you need to do is pick the colour!

Old 30-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The left footrest missing in the Fiesta was very noticeable. I sat in one yesterday and went to place my foot to the left of the clutch pedal only to discover the tunnel in the floor prevented me from doing so. Guess it's something you'd get used to?
I was initially troubled not to mention completely surprised by the lack of drivers footrest when I first jumped into the Fiesta at the dealer yard, it's just something you would simply expect to be in a new car these days, I haven't not had a drivers foot rest in any car for quite a number of years.
But.......after owning my Fiesta for a little over a month and travelling just over 2000km I can honestly say that I do not notice it not being there any more, "but I did when I first got the car", I indeed did get used to it, dont know how long it took, think I must have just forgotten about it.........still believe Ford should stop doing such silly things though and stick the bloody thing in, seems miserable imo......the cost cutting "Bean Counters" must have got their way on the day when that decision was made.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Guys - the footrest doesn't fit because of the Transmission Tunnel. The LHD models have a footrest as the footrest is on the start of the LHS door... hence no suspension tunnel.

As for getting used to it... YEP!

My Clio has a footrest, and since coming from the Fiesta... I've used the footrest a total of two times! I just forget it is there...