Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Nappa
Impressive...

Default Fiesta Auto

Just got my new demo car its a Fiesta LX 3dr Auto in Moondust Silver, now i would have loved the manual (the GF has one and its loads of fun) but i must admit that the auto is a good one and the car can still be enjoyed. Now i've driven plenty of Fiesta's but when you start to drive it everyday you get to know it and learn the best way to drive. Overall im very impressed and no longer think that an auto on a small engine is useless.

Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I had an LX 3dr auto for 2 weeks while waiting for my Zetec. It's fine if you just want to bimble around but it certainly didn't have the get up & go of a manual. A couple of times it wouldn't change up when it should have & not changing down when I wanted. But I just hate autos anyway for that reason.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

THANK GOD. At least someone agrees with me. I do agree the auto is something not to be shamed about anymore, especially in the fez. The one thing i love more than driving it everyday is when you go down a hill and just tap the brake, it automatically downshifts and holds the car back, then punch it and ur off.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
THANK GOD. At least someone agrees with me. I do agree the auto is something not to be shamed about anymore, especially in the fez. The one thing i love more than driving it everyday is when you go down a hill and just tap the brake, it automatically downshifts and holds the car back, then punch it and ur off.
Thats right, Contrary to what Kiwijohn has said, the Fiesta's 4 speed auto is meant to be one of the best gearboxes in its class ever.

They reckon the ONLY problem is is that it's too expensive (a $2000 option). But yes, it downshifts, and holds gears, and adapts to the driver.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
i have an auto focus and cop jokes about it (only on here though lol), do i care? nup. Got enough go for me (for now), and its easier to drive. im too lazy to drive a manual :.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

It might be one of the best, but a manual in a small car will always be better. I'm too impatient for autos.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, way too many threads these days are turning into auto vs. manual battles, the kind of battle where there is only ever one real winner, manual
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
It might be one of the best, but a manual in a small car will always be better. I'm too impatient for autos.
Like a DSG in a golf? Granted, strictly not a true automatic transmission, but still, it is is a self shifting unit, and its quicker than the manual.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Nappa
Impressive...

for me i'd love a fiesta zetec manual, but i was suprised at the auto in my fez, its said to be the best in its class. On a XR5 drive day some fellas in a XR5 were struggling to keep up with the driving instructor in a Fiesta LX 5dr Auto, at first i suspected that he migth of had a Fiesta/mondeo ST 2ltr under the bonnet but now i understand that if you really let it rev, the auto is still great up high. Can't double clutch or heel and tow tho, so i do miss that from a manual.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
On a XR5 drive day some fellas in a XR5 were struggling to keep up with the driving instructor in a Fiesta LX 5dr Auto.
Not calling you a liar, But I highly doubt that comment. VERY highly doubt that.

Unless the driving instructor was an Awesome friver and the guys in the XR5 were chumps.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #11
Nappa
Impressive...

well mate i saw it with my own eyes. of course the instructor was a good driver but the other blokes were experianced salesmen and could steer, i was amazed as was the other bloke sitting next to me. We all had a chat about it and the instructor proved (lifted the bonnet) that it was a stock fiesta.
i know it sounds far fetched, the XR5 is fast but what we saw idicated with the right driving the stock Fiesta can be a little rocket.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I also find that hard to believe. ANY motor magazine can not get sub 10s for 0-100 in a Fiesta, let alone an auto... no matter how hard you try. Now, considering the XR5T is 6.9s... either something was wrong with the XR5T or the driver was absolutely crap. I have a car that the XR5T can beat, yet I know for CERTAIN that I can beat a Fiesta Auto.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He didn't say it was a 10km long drag did he, Why does 0-100time matter?

If the circuit was tight and narrow the instructor can easily have beaten the xr5T simply becuase he had more confidence of what the car can do and how to handle it thus was much faster.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Now, considering the XR5T is 6.9s...
The XR5T goes 0-100 in 6 flat , without traction control got it to 8 seconds :P

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
Swaytan
Swaytan

I got my Fez in Oct last year, I ended up going with a manual to save a bit of cash. The only thing was, I'd never actually driven a manual in my life!

My girlfriend actually had to drive the car home from the dealership! How embarrasing...

Anyway's, for about 2 weeks every night, I took the car out by myself at about 1 in the morning so nobody would be around. And after 2 weeks I couldn't believe I'd ever driven an auto!

I will say though that manual's suck when sitting in heavy traffic. The first time I was in a traffic jam in my Fez, I got a cramp in my left leg!
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Anyway's, for about 2 weeks every night, I took the car out by myself at about 1 in the morning so nobody would be around. And after 2 weeks I couldn't believe I'd ever driven an auto!
this doesnt surprise me as the manual has been one of the easiest cars to drive, it has an extremely light clutch, and gates that are just hard to miss.

my brother is visiting from perth, and i took him up to bathurst and he was just amazed at how much easier it was to drive than anything else.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #17
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the Auto family! (:

and yes I don't know how to drive manual but I still love the auto!
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
The XR5T goes 0-100 in 6 flat , without traction control got it to 8 seconds :P
um, what the?

Your saying it was quicker WITH traction control? :

And Helder - he didn't buy an Auto... he sells them! :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #19
elle
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
well mate i saw it with my own eyes. of course the instructor was a good driver but the other blokes were experianced salesmen and could steer, i was amazed as was the other bloke sitting next to me. We all had a chat about it and the instructor proved (lifted the bonnet) that it was a stock fiesta.
i know it sounds far fetched, the XR5 is fast but what we saw idicated with the right driving the stock Fiesta can be a little rocket.
I heard the exact same story from a mate of mine (dealer) who went on the drive day recently here in Brissie. I was sceptical at first but now i've heard it again i'd have to say the instructor was nailing it thru there.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #20
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AhAAHh i got owned there XD

I just read the "Just got my new demo car its a Fiesta LX 3dr Auto in Moondust Silve"

XD
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
[It has] gates that are just hard to miss.
Yeah, but not since you chucked in your Faux Ferrari metal gates :