Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default WANT AN ST!? Get this instead....

http://wheels.carpoint.ninemsn.com.a...Alias=wheelsau

Looks great! Polo GTI for $26, 990.

110kW and 229Nm via its 1.8-litre turbocharged, 20-valve four cylinder engine... boosting anyone?! Does 0-100 in 8.2 (sounds slow... pretty sure ST is quicker)

Looks good though... would be a resonable competitor if the ST did come down under.... and considering the price... if i got a ST for $27990, i would be cheering!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 04:48 AM   #2
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Funnily enough Australia will be first country in the world to get this car.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I saw one of these on the road yesterday. Looked very trick.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

I love it, and its a great price that I could afford, but if I was gonna spend that sort of money, I'd Rather the 6 speed Golf GTi with the DSG box, Bi Zenon Headlights, leather and 19's.

Or just a XR5 ;)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I love it, and its a great price that I could afford, but if I was gonna spend that sort of money, I'd Rather the 6 speed Golf GTi with the DSG box, Bi Zenon Headlights, leather and 19's.

Or just a XR5 ;)
Um, Golf with DSG is $42990.... this car is $26990 :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 23-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Also... sounds to me like the same engine as the OLD Golf GTI released in 1999... just with more torque. I think im rushing to my local showroom when this hot hatch is released.....

Old 31-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
warbo
Starter Motor

Yeppo, it's the same engine as the older Golf GTI, I used to have a GTI before my Focus, nice engine, they are alot of fun. The Polo is alot lighter so should be a hoot, and being a VW will be well made
warbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Um, Golf with DSG is $42990.... this car is $26990 :
Wow, So you know your Teki. What I meant was if I was gona spend big on a Volkswagen, I'd go the Gti Golf with the extras that you dont get on the Polo for the extra price. Its like XR6 and XR6 Turbo. You pay extra but at least you wont kick yourself for getting the slower or less appointed model.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Wow, So you know your Teki. What I meant was if I was gona spend big on a Volkswagen, I'd go the Gti Golf with the extras that you dont get on the Polo for the extra price. Its like XR6 and XR6 Turbo. You pay extra but at least you wont kick yourself for getting the slower or less appointed model.
The Polo GTI is not less appointed. Its in a different class. And its a good $4 - $6k cheaper then its major competitors, so how is that "spending big on a Volkswagen," ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Funnily enough Australia will be first country in the world to get this car.
How do you figure? They've been making Polo GTI's for years, in older guises that we didn't get here....

here's the last generation

The old Polo GTI had 125bhp (93kW) and 112lb-ft (152Nm). Hit 100km/h in 8.7 sec (compared for 12.8 for a regular 1.4 55kW Polo). The new one, will be an awesome, awesome car. And $26,990 is good pricing too... prices it below its competition.. the Renaultsport Clio 182 and Peugeot 206 GTi 180... and it's better then both in my opinion.

It's got the old Golf GTI's 1.8T, its factory turbo, and those are very mod-happy engines.

Oh, and its out in Europe, and has been for a while...

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publi...inien/GTI.html <-- Volkswagen Germany site.

What I really can't wait for is the rumoured 132kW version of the Polo GTI. That will be... well, interesting.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

steffo, steffo, steffo.....

Australia is the first market in the world to get the new model....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Steffo.... first learn your stuff before speaking.

The Aussie market is the first to get the NEW polo GTi... also, where on earth did you get that the RSC 182 and Pug 206 GTI 180 are competitors with the Polo GTi?

Youve lost the plot. 110kw vs 130kw. I dont think they are competitors at all! Polo GTI is playing with the likes of the Barina SRi, 206 GTI (not 180), C2 VTS (we dont have it here though), Fiesta ST.

The RSC and GTI 180 are well above the Polo, in every way. Hell, the Clio is supposedly a better hot hatch then the Golf GTI, yet the polo should be better then a Clio? Very much doubt that!

OH, and the 130kw approx Polo GTI isnt destined for Australia just yet.... if it was, then YES it would possibly come better equiped and maybe compete with the big guns.

Last edited by Teki04; 01-11-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The Polo GTI is not less appointed. Its in a different class. And its a good $4 - $6k cheaper then its major competitors, so how is that "spending big on a Volkswagen," ??.
Nearly 30 grand on a warmed up supermini IS a big spend. The Gti Golf is a proven car in many comparos worldwide and is bigger and more practical. It does everything thet the Polo GTi will do but with more space and fun teknikal bitz (Like the DSG gearbox, Bi-Zenons) to ponder over while you latte it beachside.

Relax would ya mate?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think what we are getting at, is that the Golf would cost about $47K on the road with options you want... the Polo would be $28/29K... then the insurance is cheaper.

Not everyone can afford to get the best. Its like saying, dont get a Fairmont, save for a 3 series BMW... not everyone has the $$$. Polo seems like a great buy...

And, screw the Bi-Zenons... Fiesta ST doesnt have them, and i still want one!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Bi zenons are sick. Thats my only point.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
FlaminFiesta

yeh i want bi-zenons as well !
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

The old MkIV GTI Golf has this same engine with 110kW @ 5700rpm and 210Nm @ 1750rpm. The GTI Polo gets 19Nm more torque and keeps the same power. VW claims 8.2 to 100km/h, but I think that's conservative. The old GTI Golf did it in less then 8 seconds.

It'll beat the GTi 180 and Clio 182 in normal driving manouvres like overtaking and that (229Nm @ under 2000rpm)... GTi 180 has 130kW @ 7000 and 202Nm @ 4750, and the Clio's got 131kW @ 6500 and 200Nm @ 5250, but that's not the point I was trying to make, I do agree that they've overall faster cars.

What I meant is the GTI is better value (like XR6 Turbo). It's a 1.8 Turbo enigne with an already well established aftermarket (which I hope makes it here). For really cheap you can make it... scary.

I hope the 132kW version makes it here....

:
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
VW claims 8.2 to 100km/h, but I think that's conservative. The old GTI Golf did it in less then 8 seconds.

It'll beat the GTi 180 and Clio 182 in normal driving manouvres like overtaking and that
Um, have you ever been in the old Golf? I heard it wasnt too much of a rocket. Hence why the new model has been praised for going back to the HOT HATCH status.

And, how do you know that? Have you driven a Polo GTI and RSC 182 Cup and not told us?

Im just saying, that at the moment, without drives of either, i still think its going to be a hot hatch, just not quite in the league of the Clio and Pug. Even Evo Mag said the same thing about the Fiesta ST. It does its job of hot hatch, but still cannot surpass the Clio.

Well, from what i have read, the Polo is just over 100kg more then its current range. So, 1150kg, in comparison to the 1050kg Clio.... i think the Clio/206 will handle better, and might make up the power to weight ratio!

Old 02-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Um, have you ever been in the old Golf? I heard it wasnt too much of a rocket. Hence why the new model has been praised for going back to the HOT HATCH status.
Yes. The old GTI was not fast or very hot hatch like. But with the same engine + 19Nm less torque then the upcoming Polo GTI it was able to 100km/h in the 7 sec bracket. I just think VW's 8.2 sec estimate is a bit conservative, especially since the old one wasn't much slower (8.7) with 93kW and 152Nm.

We'll see when its released.

:
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

There has never been a Polo GTI here..... so where are those figures from? Overseas?

8.9 seconds 0-100 was what Motor got from the old Golf GTI, and 8.4 seconds from Wheels... so lets just say about Mid 8s... so again, where did you get 7 seconds from for the old Golf?

Considering the Clio has more power, and is lighter... It gets 7ish seconds in Motor and Wheels, as does the GTI180... The Barina SRi (92kw) is getting mid 9s 0-100.... so i think the 0-100 of 8.2 claimed by VW should be about spot on!

Last edited by Teki04; 03-11-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #20
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Dont go for what motor says...they never do optimal launches, have 2 people in the car and half a tank of fuel. So there times are always conservative.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 AM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
Dont go for what motor says...they never do optimal launches, have 2 people in the car and half a tank of fuel. So there times are always conservative.
Thats why i quoted two magazines... but i havent seen the old GTI stock get 7s