Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #91
landau460
BA MK2 GT

i bet my left nut depending on the diameter of the rim that there was mini tubing i new a guy with 15 s by 325 that had measurements done got them on and wasted a lot of tyre scrubing out had to have the back up and if he had pasengers wasted tyres.
landau460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #92
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatasslandau
in nsw you are only permitted to go 1in over factory specs so if came out with 7s you can only go 8s but if you change your rear axle assembly you must comply to the specs to which it came out of and therefor must be engineered as it's been modified.so the trick is [this is what i did] f100s came out with 9'' diff 31 spline axles and 9'' wheels so 1inch over means i can have 10s as diff housings are the same and i have 31 spline axles and bearings to suit no ones to say it's not a f100 i could have changed the brakes to disc as they are factory and a upgrade from f100 drum engineer was happy as and even engineerd with 295/50/15
My engineer said that exact same thing about the original vehicle specs etc to me which is what i was trying to explain......poorly. But i was uder the impression it was 2 inches wider than oem up to 10's max. Perhaps my memory is going :
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #93
78 Interceptor
Starter Motor

Tyres are B F Goodrich Euro T/A's 245/50x15 & 305/50x15 and Wheels are 15x8 and 15x10 Superlites.
If anyone currently has their coupe engineered to run the 15x10's under the back, I would love to know what you have done and possibly get in touch with your engineer to see if the same can be done for my coupe.
I may post photos at a later date. Cheers
78 Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #94
fatasslandau
the money box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Interceptor
Tyres are B F Goodrich Euro T/A's 245/50x15 & 305/50x15 and Wheels are 15x8 and 15x10 Superlites.
If anyone currently has their coupe engineered to run the 15x10's under the back, I would love to know what you have done and possibly get in touch with your engineer to see if the same can be done for my coupe.
I may post photos at a later date. Cheers
hey there mine is engineered with 15x10s guy was at blacktown nsw different rules for different states though got mine done some time ago don't know if he's still around if your interested send pm
cheers col
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #95
71valiant

I think that makes the most sense so far AusLandau, not that anyone elso is wrong.. My belief is if you put the shorter (xy) diff in, you mess with the drive too much, if you change the offset dramatically, you mess with the drive too much!
Everyone's opinion on what looks cool is different, but is there a tried and true 'AS CLOSE TO PRO-STOCK' look as possible without putting too much strain on anything that's expensive to replace?
Let's face it, is there a better car to be playing with!
They look pretty phat with 10's n 8's and lowered a bit!
Old 18-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #96
cob115
COUPE WHORE

i dont get it?? iv been driving my coupe for years and years with 295s on the rear as standard ,and pizza cutters on the front,never had probs with the boys in blue,only to pull me over and admire the coupe ,but why do you guys in other states have to get em enginererd???.iv seen brand new cars get defected for the stupidest thing i kinda dont worry any more bout my fat tyers loud exhaust etc ,if there going to defect your car they will,any car thats not regulary serviced or in poor condition is far more of a hazard than a coupe with fat tyres thats loved n looked after,go the fat tyres go the coupes

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #97
JK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
i dont get it?? iv been driving my coupe for years and years with 295s on the rear as standard ,and pizza cutters on the front,never had probs with the boys in blue,only to pull me over and admire the coupe ,but why do you guys in other states have to get em enginererd???.iv seen brand new cars get defected for the stupidest thing i kinda dont worry any more bout my fat tyers loud exhaust etc ,if there going to defect your car they will,any car thats not regulary serviced or in poor condition is far more of a hazard than a coupe with fat tyres thats loved n looked after,go the fat tyres go the coupes
Amen to that Pat!! :1syellow1
JK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #98
78 Interceptor
Starter Motor

For the most part I agree with you all, but check your state rules and regs guys.
NSW RTA allow 1" wider than standard rims.
VIC Roads allow 2" wider.
Not sure about other states.
As other members have posted- although we are largely left alone by the cops, the wide rims on the back pose a potential problem with excess stress/load on the bearings/axles. The concern is that if something gives eg axle breaks, there could be an accident. Thus your insurance companies wont want to know you, but the cops will.
There has to be a proper way to engineer this problem out! I have been told that the double row wheel bearing in the disc brake version of the 9" is more than adequate for these loads and confirmation of this is all that is needed for a certificate- but this info is more heresay than fact. Once I have it figured, anyone and everyone can have access to the info available. I agree that most coupes are more loved and looked after than the average car, unfortunately- the cops and the state rego guys done see a difference.
If anyone has there car engineered. Please let us know what needs to be done.
Thanks.
78 Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #99
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

3 years and havn't had a problem with 10" on the back .... or anything else for that matter?? Explains why I have to keep replacing wheel bearings .... one side only though

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #100
cob115
COUPE WHORE

the wide rims on the back pose a potential problem with excess stress/load on the bearings/axles. The concern is that if something gives eg axle breaks, there could be an accident

your stressing to much about nothing,my father bought his 1st coupe in 1976 last of the xb,he used it to carry the family and also deliver spuds/potatoes when his truck wasnt around, wasnt uncomon for him to load it up with the boot full plus the back and front seats loaded to the max ,hes told me hes had a ton in it : and from what i remember i belive him,no probs ,now befor any one s,,,ts a chicken were talking the 70s.iv had a few coupes since then and fat tyres has and never will cause a problem,go the coupes

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 19-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #101
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
fat tyres has and never will cause a problem,go the coupes
as long as you have the right offset... Nothing wrong with going XY width, as long as you keep the right offset. When i shorten mine to XY width, I'll be keeping the 295/10" combo with 5" backspacing.

In SA, if your car is pre-Jan '74, you can have any width rim/tyre you want, so long as they don't foul on bodywork, and the front rims are at least 70% of the width of the rears. The tyres have to be the appropriate size for the rims. IE cant have 235's stretched on to 10's, or 295's on 6" rims..
Doesn't have to be engineered either.

Pity we can't have 6/71's sticking out the bonnet...
Old 19-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #102
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
as long as you have the right offset... Nothing wrong with going XY width, as long as you keep the right offset. When i shorten mine to XY width, I'll be keeping the 295/10" combo with 5" backspaci

Pity we can't have 6/71's sticking out the bonnet...
well you can just dont get court :why you going to cut the diff if your staying 295s with a 5inch back space?

Old 19-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #103
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

gives me a bit more space between the outer guard lip and the tyres.
Old 20-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #104
XB74GS

Hey fellas,
where in Sydney can I get 15' old school tyres without selling a kidney?
Size wise 225-295.
I've just started to make enquiries and have been a bit shocked by what I've been hearing.
Thanks
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #105
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB74GS
Hey fellas,
where in Sydney can I get 15' old school tyres without selling a kidney?
Size wise 225-295.
I've just started to make enquiries and have been a bit shocked by what I've been hearing.
Thanks
Todd.

Maybe give Mathews Tyre Service a call in Campsie 9789 5777, They are always cheap as chips and can get pretty much anything you want.
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #106
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It seems you didn't learn the first time, your account is no more.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #107
GT0090

Default XB Coupe Tyre, wheel, money combo in Vic - without selling the kids

Guys, I'm going thru the same dilemma for my XB Coupe get to get 295/50 x 15s on a set of Jelly / kidney bean mags 15 x 10: options seem to be
1. shorten diff: I've bought a disc brake XB diff (currently running 8" BW drum) & plan to shorten in to XY length and get 4.5" backspace wheels from WheelBoyz
- anyone know who can shorten diff in Melb ?
2. keep diff at XB length and get the guards rolled, but I'm not sure how this will go with stainless arch moulds
- any know where to get guard rolled (with mould) and not screw up my car ?
3. keep diff as XB, don't roll the guards and sell a kidney to get a set of 5" backspace wheels
- I think this is most unlikely option 'cause of the cost

I welcome your opinion.
or if anyone has a spare set of 15x10 5" backspace jelly bean or hotwires . . .
GT0090 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #108
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0090
2. keep diff at XB length and get the guards rolled, but I'm not sure how this will go with stainless arch moulds
in my opinion, rolled guards never look right - they would be much harder with the stainless trims, but i suppose as along as the trims were done right, they would hide some imperfections in the guards

my old man had his guards and trims rolled on his landau, and while they were done well, they were still noticeable
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #109
cob115
COUPE WHORE

either way your stuffed with the back space gt0090 even more so if you keep the stainless molds,unless you go a smaller tyer?

dono gtxb67 iv rolled the gards on a few coupes(my xc cobra xbgt etc) n from looking at them you cant tell the difference?

if it was me and i loved the wheels car combo i would do the diff n shorten it,
eithe way post a pic of what you do cheers pat go the coupes

Old 26-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #110
GT0090

Default diff it is

- two votes against rolling the guards (plus I'm scared of a screw up), so shortening the diff to XY width it will be
any ideas on who ?
- an old thread on a HHHHHHolden site suggested Supa Trik Eng in Dandenong (??)
GT0090 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #111
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0090
Guys, I'm going thru the same dilemma for my XB Coupe get to get 295/50 x 15s on a set of Jelly / kidney bean mags 15 x 10: options seem to be
1. shorten diff: I've bought a disc brake XB diff (currently running 8" BW drum) & plan to shorten in to XY length and get 4.5" backspace wheels from WheelBoyz
- anyone know who can shorten diff in Melb ?
3. keep diff as XB, don't roll the guards and sell a kidney to get a set of 5" backspace wheels
- I think this is most unlikely option 'cause of the cost

I welcome your opinion.
or if anyone has a spare set of 15x10 5" backspace jelly bean or hotwires . . .
I'd be inclined to look into American Racing Torq Thrust II, they're a modern billet type rim and available in a range of back spaces but keep the "Old Skool Cool" look. Might cost a few bucks but then you'll have the old mags to sell.

Another option is if they have enough meat on them to machine off some material off the inside hub face but there's a bit of risk involved.

Good luck.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #112
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Does anyone know what the length of a xy diff is compared to an xa diff?? Is it 59 1/2 and 61 1/2 inches??
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #113
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Been looking through Summit Racings web site for 17"x10" American Racing Torq-Thrust IIs for the coupe, and all i can find is 17"x 9.5" or 17"x11", no 10"s.....

Any thoughts/advice on which way to go, i really would like to go with a set of these wheels but..... used:

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #114
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmfp
Does anyone know what the length of a xy diff is compared to an xa diff?? Is it 59 1/2 and 61 1/2 inches??
I'm sure I read the XY diff is narrower and used on A-B-C cars to fit wider rubber.

If thats wrong, someone will correct me.

"Target acquired .... target engaged ..... TARGET ANGRY!!!"
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #115
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeNZ
I'm sure I read the XY diff is narrower and used on A-B-C cars to fit wider rubber.

If thats wrong, someone will correct me.
the xy diff is narower but wasnt used buy ford to go on any coupes the coupe diff is the same as any xa xb xc model the p5 p6 ltd diff is the same width as well ,i think the xy/w diff was 15to 20 mill narower but not 100%

Old 13-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #116
fordmfp
Blue blooded

The reason i ask is my 15x10s have a 4.5inch backspace and i can only get 265s on the back and i really want to run 295s so i might change the diff over to an xy so it will fit the bigger rubber

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11259539
Old 17-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #117
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
The reason i ask is my 15x10s have a 4.5inch backspace and i can only get 265s on the back and i really want to run 295s so i might change the diff over to an xy so it will fit the bigger rubber
did u machine the back space down?i fitted a set of worn out 295s T/As to my 15x10s just to dummy it up n see the clearance al well il be putting them on the coupe this week il take a pic of how there machined n post it,those rims afr pure 70s clasic

Old 17-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #118
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Mate i had a look at the backspace and didnt think there was much meat in them and wasnt sure if they could be machined down. I'll have to go whip one off and have another look. If you could post pics up that would be great!! Did yours have a 4.5" backspace aswell?

Old 17-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #119
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Mate i had a look at the backspace and didnt think there was much meat in them and wasnt sure if they could be machined down. I'll have to go whip one off and have another look. If you could post pics up that would be great!! Did yours have a 4.5" backspace aswell?
i got 3of them one of them was used on a few bathurst chargers in the 70s : ,looks exactly the same as the 2for ford coups ,but the back space has been machined diferent ,i had em polished when i bought em n the guys said they all same rimes and if i wanted to machine the charger one down it can be done ,the back space for the 2xford coupes is 5/ 1/4 inch the one for the charger is 4 1/2 back space.il post some pics of the inside n markings n how they sit on the coupe hopefully this weekend look awsom on coupes pretty rare to

Old 17-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #120
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Oh true mine must have been off a charger then!! They look awesome polished i just have to get that done. 5/ 1/4 would be perfect to get the 295s under the back. I'll have to take mine to the local mag wheel guy and see if he can machine them down for me. Thanks for your help mate looking forward to the pics