Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default 2012 Fiesta Zetec Auto

Ok the better half if looking at a 2012 Zetec as her current WQ Fiesta is about stuffed (Unfortunate circumstances)
Now whats the goods and bads about these cars? I know they are built in Thailand which IMO is a shame, has the build quality dropped off?

What are the issues you guys have had with these cars?
Thanks in advance.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2012 Fiesta Zetec Auto

I have a manual WT zetec. love it to bits. never ever let me down. great around town, and when i do take it on the hwy its quiet and comfy. and doesnt drink!
only downside i would say between a WP/WQ and a WS/WT is the handling doesnt quite feel the same. i drive dads WP a bit and think it handles that bit better. not that it doesnt handle very well, handles brilliantly, can be alot of fun.
great cars, plan on going again in about a year and a half when the ST arrives. that will be fiesta no.3!!
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
wombat66

I've got a 2012 Zetec auto. Really happy with it. The transmission is a little different to my previous car (2007 Mazda2) but heaps better. No issues at all so far. The voice control on the radio is not very accurate but I don't use it so that doesn't bother me. The indicator stalk being on the "wrong" side hasn't been a problem at all. I've only hit the wipers accidentally 3 times in 4 months. Build quality is much better than my old Mazda. Great little car!
Old 20-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah she is accustomed to the wrong side so thats no worries.

Also i have voice control too, i rarely use it.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Forgetting my experience which is in a different thread on here, and the one from another member whose WT leaked pretty badly, I suggest you read some of the threads on the dsg gearbox on here (I believe the software needs reflashing on some to reduce the jerky nature of the box). 95% of Fiestas are fine and won't have an issue but if you do the warranty is nigh on useless. Also may want to read tcrowdys thread on his experience and 18 month fight with City Ford Zetland to get his car fixed...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Also if you are considering keeping the car long term (outside warranty period) and you're buying the dsg box you may want to ring a dealer and find out how much you'll be up for (supply and fit) for a new one...

Just make sure you're sitting down when they give you a price....

Mate's box went in his Mk 5 Golf Gti outside warranty, VW quoted him just shy of ten thousand to supply and fit a new one... Regardless of brand those boxes are complex and expensive, long gone are the days of a $200 reco torque converter box....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
wombat66

I have read about a few issues with previous models (leaking) and older WTs (jerky gearbox) but not with the newer ones.
Old 20-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Pursya

Though the vehicle is now built in Thailand, most of the issues that occurred in the German version have been rectified. Not that there appeared to be many problems, just the usual first of the run niggles.
There appears to be a few "niceties" lacking in the newer model, such as the soft touch dash. But the handling is rated as better.
I doubt if you will regret buying a 2012 Zetec,
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
wombat66

Most of the people that complain about the Fiestas on these forums seem to have the previous model.
Old 21-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Moorie

I have a 5 speed and after 40,000k's very happy with the driving experience - handles great, drivers seat is very comfy, blue-tooth works well. On the downside, the rotors are rubbish (like many newer cars) and are warped pretty badly - yeah I drive it pretty hard, but.. As mentioned the voice control is so, so, but I don't have a need to use it.
The biggest negative for me has been Ford's view on fixing items under warranty - I have found my local dealer to be very poor - they wanted me to pay for a piece of trim at the 15,000km service that was faulty (in comparison, Nissan are more than happy to fix trim items my Navara D40 at 140,000 on the extended warranty - yeah I cant believe it either!!), apparently trim is only covered up until the first 'free' service, or about six weeks in my case.
If you can yet your head around this portion of owning a new Ford, go for it, it's a great car and for mine the built in Thailand is a small issue.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorie
I have a 5 speed and after 40,000k's very happy with the driving experience - handles great, drivers seat is very comfy, blue-tooth works well. On the downside, the rotors are rubbish (like many newer cars) and are warped pretty badly - yeah I drive it pretty hard, but.. As mentioned the voice control is so, so, but I don't have a need to use it.
The biggest negative for me has been Ford's view on fixing items under warranty - I have found my local dealer to be very poor - they wanted me to pay for a piece of trim at the 15,000km service that was faulty (in comparison, Nissan are more than happy to fix trim items my Navara D40 at 140,000 on the extended warranty - yeah I cant believe it either!!), apparently trim is only covered up until the first 'free' service, or about six weeks in my case.
If you can yet your head around this portion of owning a new Ford, go for it, it's a great car and for mine the built in Thailand is a small issue.
Agree the rotors are rubbish. Changed mine with some EBC TurboGroove at 30000. Shame as they still had a bit of meat left. I do track it though.

As for your trim issue that's rubbish that it's only covered until the free service. who told you that? I know this as a friend just had a nightmare of a time with a similar issue on an XR5.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Must just be Fiestas with rotors as my XR5 is on the factory rotors and they are more then up to the task time and again.
She wont drive it like some of you guys (or me when i get the keys ) so i doubt rotors will be an issue.
Keep the info coming guys its muchly appreciated.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Mate I will be totally honest with you. The car will be fine, The Thailand quality is a bit more plasticy inside but everytime I get into a thai model there are things I wish I had. There is nothing wrong with them from where I see.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Forgetting my experience which is in a different thread on here, and the one from another member whose WT leaked pretty badly, I suggest you read some of the threads on the dsg gearbox on here (I believe the software needs reflashing on some to reduce the jerky nature of the box). 95% of Fiestas are fine and won't have an issue but if you do the warranty is nigh on useless. Also may want to read tcrowdys thread on his experience and 18 month fight with City Ford Zetland to get his car fixed...
Is the leaking issue my car? Because mine is a WS if it is mine, so again a previous generation issue. : )

And the resolution of my issue is so far so good, although taking it in for a service tomorrow and to get a few more issues (likely related to the fixing of the leak) looked at. So will see how that goes. Otherwise I would gladly recommend these things, even with the issue/s I have had. Too good a car otherwise!!!! : )

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Moorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
As for your trim issue that's rubbish that it's only covered until the free service. who told you that? I know this as a friend just had a nightmare of a time with a similar issue on an XR5.
My local Ford dealer referred to it as 'trim' however it was the felt lining that is inside the rear wheel wells/under the arch. Other cars that I have owned have either had a hard plastic liner or a spray on liner that was painted, but not the Fiesta - anyway it looked as though it hadn't been fitted properly and it was deformed, not sitting flush.
Long story short, I refused to pay and mentioned that every conversation I had had with the service department was that it was a warranty claim and that I wasn't going to pay. The Service Manager insisted that 'trim' was only covered up until the 3000 km service.
The car now gets serviced elsewhere.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
waterskier

My WT had the same rear guard liner issue it deformed and was replaced no questions asked by Morley Ford at 60,000 km and I didnt purchase the car from them and it has never been to a Ford dealer for service.... All depends on the dealership i guess!
waterskier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I dont want this to turn into what is wrong with your Fiesta just some good and bad points.
Thanks for your help guys muchly appreciated.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
wombat66

Two little things I find a bit annoying are the electric window control buttons seem to be too far back and I'm not keen on the interior door handles. I find them a bit sharp on my hand. Just small things but if I was designing the car I would change them

Edit: I didn't like the red display in the beginning but it's great in bright sunlight. The blue display in our Focus is nicer but harder to read in bright light.
Old 24-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a 5sp manual WS Fiesta and its like driving a go-kart, I've belted it up and over Mt Macedon heaps of times, you point it somewhere and it just goes there, has a nice little growl inside the cabin when you get into the higher revs too.

Haven't had one issue with it either, except minor problem like this little plastic cover thing fell off the side of the drivers side dash and the passenger side window switch seems to pop out of its hole very easily if I lift the base with my fingers.

I also cracked the top left of the windscreen a tiny bit and bent one of the steel wheels slightly when I bashed it into a massive pot hole going from a gravel road to tar at around 100km/h but I caused that.

The interior is also higher quality than our LV Focii. Its essentially a newer car as in design.

The electric power steering is the bomb, could turn it with your little finger and the turning circle on it is very tight.

I replaced the OEM continental tyres with Kuhmo KU31s at the 35000km mark.

Don't get the auto though, I don't care if its got 50,000 gears and 3500 clutches controlled by cyborgs made by apple, autos in small cars suck balls. The 5sp manual in these things shifts better than our LVs 6sp.

I'd cross shop it with the Kia Rio though as its probably now best in class power wise.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Pursya

Oooohhh......I forgot about the turning circle!
Simply amazing.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both those plastic vents have fallen off the dash off our ws now, the glue on those isn't long lasting. I wouldn't buy the ws in an auto but the wt should be some improvement. Still if you really want to have a fiesta the way it's meant to be, you want the manual version.. In manual the ws has been 100% ble over the 160,000km's we've done, other than bending the original zetec rims which are really a rubbish rim and should have been recalled imho
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post