Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default My dash cluster is epileptic, wtf???

i go to switch my car on this morning, the car started up fine, but then i look at the speedo and tacho needles and they were shaking like they were having a fit...
what is their problem??? :

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont know those cars too well, but probably a lose ground wire or lose clips on the gauges... is everything having a fit or just the speedo and tacho?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
4dlvr
4dlvr

its almost as if the dash cluster is delayed for about 2 seconds. then everything is fine.
it just has its little fit, and everything is fine.
ive been starting and switching the car off for a few hours now just to examine it, i realized if i wait a couple seconds while leaving the key on iii it doesn't do it, where as if i just put the key in and start the car rite away it will almost certainly do it
Old 20-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

the LR's are known for their dash problems. i know Melbzetec's Dash deciedes to play dead whenever it wants.

Mine atmo is having issues, but i know its cause of the wiring harnes which i need to get fixed.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mine is still not fixed, but my research suggests it is a result of dry solders behind the dials. Apparently one potential fix (yet to do it) is to remove the instrument cluster, spray the back where all the connections are with WD40 or similar and let it dry. Not a 5 minute job, and no guarantees
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
HPB
Starter Motor

Mine is still not fixed either. I removed the cluster and sprayed all the circuit boards, connectors, etc, as suggested on some UK websites, but to no avail. I've also gone around and cleaned and tightened all the earths. There is one behind the drivers kickpanel which is the actual cluster ground, but nothing has made a dffierence thus far. I'm going to put a new battery in my car and see if that changes anything - it's the original 5 year old battery, and I've seen dud batteries cause all sorts of issues in other vehicles, so I'll give that a go. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try and pick up a second hand cluster.
HPB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
melbzetec

Damn. I was hoping the removal and WD40 spray approach would work.

I've got a new battery, but still getting the intermittent problem.

I'll do it anyway, but looks like more searching.

Maybe I just replace with a Motec dash!!!!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 24-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Damn. I was hoping the removal and WD40 spray approach would work.

I've got a new battery, but still getting the intermittent problem.

I'll do it anyway, but looks like more searching.

Maybe I just replace with a Motec dash!!!!!!
ill take one as well..

Old 24-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

It happened to my focus after it had a flat battery.

I think it does it every 60 starts and every time u do a hard reset on the ECU.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
4dlvr
4dlvr

after several hours of kicking the dash, flaming at earth wires i cant find. i decided to change the battery and it worked. shiit, if only i got off my *** and tried it earlier
Old 29-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
melbzetec

A bit more research today.

If it goes epilectic.....it will be the battery getting low on charge.

If speeddo and tacho just die for a few seconds or minutes, (rather than dance about) it can be a faulty VSS....vehicle speed sensor..which is apparently in the back of the gearbox casing

Old 30-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
A bit more research today.

If it goes epilectic.....it will be the battery getting low on charge.

If speeddo and tacho just die for a few seconds or minutes, (rather than dance about) it can be a faulty VSS....vehicle speed sensor..which is apparently in the back of the gearbox casing
thats gonna cost you alot to get fixed

Old 30-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
melbzetec

Not necessarily. The part is only about 25 pound in the UK, and is accesssible from underneath the car.....you don't have to open the gearbox