Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Ride On Mowers!

These things are a godsend!

I've had an eye open for a ride on mower for a while, as I'm sick of mowing my large block every single week in 30 odd degrees in summer. I suffer from migraines, and doing that is a near guarantee of a migraine.

So I found a one cheap on Gumtree. It was cheap as it had a small fault, not charging the battery at all, and the charging light was always on, even with the keys off. So obviously something wrong with the charging circuit. The previous owner was just jump starting it when he needed to use it.

So I bought it, and managed to find the schematics for it online. After some troubleshooting with the multimeter, I found the cause of the fault. It was as simple as replacing a diode. Costing a whole 40 cents! Score! :

So having fixed the fault, I decided to give it a good clean up. Came up pretty good with some elbow grease! And of course the Concours 900 dual action polisher :laugh:

First 2 photos are before the clean, rest are after. To get it so glossy after being so scratched, dry and matted was incredibly satisfying, and did my OCD a world of good

I gave it a run today. What usually takes me almost an hour, took me 10 minutes. I knew it would be quick and save effort, but DAMN! I was blown away by how fast and easy it did it! And the finish is just as good as any manual mower!

WELL chuffed with this purchase! If you're considering getting one, DO IT! DO IT NAO!

Old 27-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ride On Mowers!

Bloody hell eh.You can come down and give my old Viking a bit of a spit and polish if you want something to do next weekend.Looks like a new one again!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Pis-ton broke
Banned

thats the most loved ride on ive ever seen.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3x win!

Is your relationship with your neighbours any good? Well it won't be if you ever decide to test that diving light out.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell! You're very welcome to come and clean my ride ons.

That really is chalk and cheese!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When are you going to fix the gutter rash on the deck ?
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A side note for those interested: Regardless of your height DO NOT buy a bent shaft whipper snipper. They are useless for cutting in edges which is half their purpose. Buy a straight shaft. Also, do not buy electric tools as they are underpowered, dangerous and useless. A good blower is crucial. SNIP-BLOW-MOW-BLOW in that order for a pro result. I also do not recommend 2-Stroke Mowers. They cost a fortune ro run & have no torque which is needed for thick & long grass. If it is cheap its for a reason.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I love riding mowers, but I have a wicked hill. So I switched back to a walk behind with hand controls.

I flipped 2 times. After the second time I went back to the walk behind.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
A side note for those interested: Regardless of your height DO NOT buy a bent shaft whipper snipper. They are useless for cutting in edges which is half their purpose. Buy a straight shaft. Also, do not buy electric tools as they are underpowered, dangerous and useless. A good blower is crucial. SNIP-BLOW-MOW-BLOW in that order for a pro result. I also do not recommend 2-Stroke Mowers. They cost a fortune ro run & have no torque which is needed for thick & long grass. If it is cheap its for a reason.
I disagree re bent shaft whipper snipper.I've got a stihl which does everything a whipper snipper is supposed to do.Not as powerful as a big machine but still does the job
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey scotsman, I hope that green thing in front of the seat is a stubbie holder. If not, fit one immediately as it gets hot out there mowing. I fitted a twin holder to the mower I had when I used to live on acreage.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Pis-ton broke
Banned

do you have any performance mods in the pipeline?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep ride-ons FTW. I'm on 1466 sq mtrs and if I had to mow it with a push mower I would have sold the place long ago.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I killed my rover yardking after five years of abuse. Still runs strong but the deck is bent and its more or less useless. I'm currently mowing my 3ac garden with a push mower. Fun with soaking wet grass 2 feet deep. Buying a new ride on next week. Tempted to give a zero turn a go this time.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Haha yea, it may be a little overkill for a ride on, but I can't do things like that in half measures. It's all or nothing. And it was a great little project.

I was bloody happy with how it scrubbed up. Looks not bad for 19 years old! Mechanically she's in tip top condition, runs like a dream. Obviously been well looked after mechanically.

And that is indeed a little drink beer holder under the steering wheel.

The possibilities of mods/pimping it are almost endless. And they would all be cheap and easy to do!
Old 27-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #15
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
Haha yea, it may be a little overkill for a ride on, but I can't do things like that in half measures. It's all or nothing. And it was a great little project.

I was bloody happy with how it scrubbed up. Looks not bad for 19 years old! Mechanically she's in tip top condition, runs like a dream. Obviously been well looked after mechanically.

And that is indeed a little drink beer holder under the steering wheel.

The possibilities of mods/pimping it are almost endless. And they would all be cheap and easy to do!

Gotta get a turbo for it
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pro-tip mate.

The starter motor on these is a bugger. My old man bought a Victa of about the same vintage. (Late 90's??)
Dads had a Tecumseh motor which was great but had one problem and this Briggs engine looks to be the same.

There are two screws that hold the bracket tying down the starter motor. You constantly need to check these as they vibrate loose, starter goes out of alignment and there goes the gear. These starter motors are incredibly expensive for what they are.

Loctite doesn't seem to work, so just give them a quick nip with a screwdriver before taking it out for the day.
The deck is pretty fragile, watch for any rocks/old tree stump remnants etc. It bends easily.

Apart from that they are pretty foolproof machines Dad's old one would still run if I could be bothered but it's consigned to the back of the shed these days.

Can I ask how much you paid? IIRC Dad paid about $2500 20 odd years ago.

PS. Tune it, I added a limited slip transaxle to my Husky, haha.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought one for my 1500sm block but sold it a year later because i'm on a hill and it was almost tipping and i had to adjust my body to keep it upright, still took 30 mins to do and had to get the push mower out for certain parts anyway, sold it and bought a kubota self propelled and now its take 1 hour all up

oh and my dad has had a kubota ride on for 15 years and it still looks brand new, he cleans it after every use and even waxes it every few months so its easier to clean. plus its kept in the garage while the car is outside, he now has only 200sm of lawn and won't sell it because he loves it

p.s. even though most ride on's have a cup holder don't leave your drink uncovered, nothing worse than grabbing your beer and swallowing dirt and grass
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=ebv8;5994041]i bought one for my 1500sm block but sold it a year later because i'm on a hill and it was almost tipping and i had to adjust my body to keep it upright, still took 30 mins to do and had to get the push mower out for certain parts anyway, sold it and bought a kubota self propelled and now its take 1 hour all up

oh and my dad has had a kubota ride on for 15 years and it still looks brand new, he cleans it after every use and even waxes it every few months so its easier to clean. plus its kept in the garage while the car is outside,

How oftern do you see or hear this.A $30000 car sits outside because the garage is full of mainly worthless crap
Old 29-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the car was a $900 Ford Focus, the $55k car and new caravan has its own separate garage
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I wasn't actually referring to you.I was generalising what I have seen and heard.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #21
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I disagree re bent shaft whipper snipper.I've got a stihl which does everything a whipper snipper is supposed to do.Not as powerful as a big machine but still does the job
I love how easy it is to reach around and under trees but this design really comes into its own when used for channelling edges, especially for those with bad backs. For total 100% satisfaction, the rechargeable electric model is recommended, especially for heavy wet grass and professional contractors.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Lugh

I've got a bit of a thing for ride on mowers - Here is my grandfathers Greenfield that he bought some time in the early 80's. We lived on 40 acres and this thing has seen some work. In true country style when my legs were long enough at 7 years old I was put to work cutting acres of country on this.
It was very very tired when it came in to my possession, so I gave it a little love.