Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone heard anything on the Falcon wagon yet?

I was under the impression that a decision would be announced December/January, well thats come and gone and still no word.

Anyone heard anything on the grapevine, I guess no news is bad news, but with so many large fleets who plan orders months in advance I would assumed some news would be floating around by now.

A short while ago Burela changed his tune a little and said that Falcon wagon could be sold alongside of Mondeo rather than have Mondeo replace it - probably due to continuing stronger than expected Falcon wagon sales and lower than expected Mondeo wagon sales.

I am still waiting on a decision before trading in the current hauler, not that im hopeful but I just know I would kick myself no end if I went out and bought a Sportwagon and then knowing my luck find out the next day that the Falcon wagon was going to be updated. I was going to sign for the Holden in January, but thought Id keep waiting for the Falcon announcement. With the FG, in living memory I cannot remember a Falcon so much better than the opposing Commodore, so I continue to wait.

So any whispers from Ford or suppliers? any word on the next Telstra tool of trade vehicle?

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Interesting that Ford's preference for the mondeo station wagon has fallen flat
and in comparison, Holden's Sportwagon is powering on with private buyers...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
any word on the next Telstra tool of trade vehicle?
Toyota Hiace/Hilux with canopy/Ranger with canopy
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Toyota Hiace/Hilux with canopy/Ranger with canopy

Wow, so that basically confirms its dead then. Im surprised they didnt go with a Falcon LPG ute with canopy, especially with its safety ratings and comfort. I also thought Ford would have been banking on the Mondeo wagon taking over the role.
Old 18-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I also remember someone from Telstra posting that Falcon wagon
has been removed from Telstra vehicle procurement lists.

I think Burela fiddled while Rome burned....
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Getting more and more signs that the wagon is dead. So don't hold your breath. Guess they see better profits with making more terri's, utes and sedans.
Old 18-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Getting more and more signs that the wagon is dead. So don't hold your breath. Guess they see better profits with making more terri's, utes and sedans.
It depends on what happens with the LILPG system. If it is still delayed, and the exemption for Euro IV still stands, we have Wagon until the end of the year. Then it all depends on whether Ford have engineered the Copperhead engine for LILPG.

I'd say it is a gonner, but then again, stranger things have happened.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I had a family member who has worked for Telstra for like 20+ years tell me the other day they Falcon wagon was no longer available
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It depends on what happens with the LILPG system. If it is still delayed, and the exemption for Euro IV still stands, we have Wagon until the end of the year. Then it all depends on whether Ford have engineered the Copperhead engine for LILPG.

I'd say it is a gonner, but then again, stranger things have happened.

It was a goner in 06, but it survived. So you never know.
Old 18-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Terraplainin'

Reading through the comments on that inane article on news today unearthed the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy of Geelong Posted at 11:30 AM Today
Falcon has been designed for left drive, just check out the dash panel for the steering shaft has a stamping there, and left drive has been engineered since AU. The reason Falcon isnt exported to the US is we (i work there) cant send another vehicle of the same class to the same market that Ford has another vehicle in. ie Crown Victoria. Also say goodbye to the wagon by oct this yr and the ute has just ben placed on life support due to the "One Ford' policy.

Comment 166 of 244
So, just to October then. Maybe.

PS. Andy, if you work for Ford, maybe best not to comment on a public website...
Terraplainin' is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraplainin'
Reading through the comments on that inane article on news today unearthed the following...

So, just to October then. Maybe.

PS. Andy, if you work for Ford, maybe best not to comment on a public website...

Falcon is 'Design Protected' for LHD. This means that there are components of its interior that allow an easy conversion to LHD should the need be. The Console is one part, as is the firewall, and a number of other parts. Whilst we're on that subject, Ford has very nicely allowed Ford to use front suspension parts that will take a front driveshaft should the need arise. Oh no, FWD Falcon!!!

Edit: that being said, he is right about the Wagon. We're not expecting LILPG until then. For the why, you'll have to figure that out yourselves.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A smart move would be to make the Ecoboost I-4 Falcon a sportwagon but I doubt Ford thinks that deeply...
Old 18-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

So we cant send falcon stateside because of the panther platform........

But the panther platform just died.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
Falcon is design protected for LHD and front driveshafts....what about a 4wd falcon???
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well, I think its kind of sad its dying, its been around for 40 years and like the Fairlane it will be going to the big scrap yard in the sky. I understand business is business but as a car enthusiast its still a shame to see a great car finish.

I guess we should be glad it lasted this long, the fact it still sells yet it is basically 12 years old shows there is a market for this type of vehicle. Correct me if im wrong but I think it is still outselling the entire Mondeo range.

And its also a shame to see a major fleet like Telstra replace an Australian made car with Thai made Hiluxes and Rangers, it would have been good to see them go to a Falcon or Commodore ute.

FG LiLPG XR6 Falcon wagon, now thats a Ford I would love to have had!
Old 18-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine if they unveiled an FG wagon and RTV ute. Nothing fancy just "Built Ford Tough" with a massive advertising campaign directed towards fleet and the younger market.
I reckon they could just sit back and watch the vehicles roll out of the factory.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon's engineering is preserved for LHD and AWD, not 4WD
Old 18-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then, how come Holden can sell dunnydores as Pontiacs, when GM has a similar car in America ?????
Old 19-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Falcon Wagon

Correct me if Im wrong
but didnt the Falcon wagons come out with the XK model
in 1960 thats 50 years not 40
as I definitely had an XL wagon 1962 model in 1972
and I remember paying $250 for it
and that it went around Australia and got 33 MPG
Melbourne to Darwin down the red centre 600 miles of dirt
in those days to Adelaide and back to Melbourne
wjth out a hitch
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #19
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Good riddance I say.

The B series wagon is an absolutley horrid vehicle in my opinion, doesn't flow together at all. Look at how many Holden Commo wagons there are on our roads (pre VE) compared to Falcon wagons and you can't argue the point.

Now ofcourse this is a Ford Forum and I know i'm going to get crap for saying this which in a way is sad, but if the B series wagon was anything to go buy then people should've seen this coming a long time ago.

:
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #20
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

To my knowledge Falcon wagon is dead as of the end of this year. Petrol models will stop end on June, gas will stay till the end of year. There are no future design changes for wagon. i.e. no FG model
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #21
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting around in a work BF wagon at the moment. the Wife dove it the other day and was really impressed by the load space. She said she would have one in a shot if it looked better.... Ford haven't even been trying with the wagon for years, and it still sells, go figure.

I suspect one of the reasons the Falcon has stood the test of time is that many derivatives used the same components, keeping costs down. Without the backing of the wagon, the ute, and the LWB, I wonder on how rosy the future of the Great Australian Road Car really is, and FoMoCoAu for that matter.

Funny how Mondeo has come along twice and both times it has failed in this country. I wonder if they had put those efforts into the Falcon if it would be a completely different animal? Perhaps young families would be lapping them up right now?
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Funny how Mondeo has come along twice and both times it has failed in this country. I wonder if they had put those efforts into the Falcon if it would be a completely different animal? Perhaps young families would be lapping them up right now?
No, most people are moving into smaller cars, that's the main issue with falcon. it's percieved as big and thirsty.
i think the problem with mondeo is it has no flavour. :
Old 19-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the BF wagon was never gonna sell with an **** end from 1998.

The Territory killed the Wagon. But who cares the Terry is way better than a falcon wagon.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Correct me if im wrong but I think it is still outselling the entire Mondeo range.

And its also a shame to see a major fleet like Telstra replace an Australian made car with Thai made Hiluxes and Rangers, it would have been good to see them go to a Falcon or Commodore ute.
FG LiLPG XR6 Falcon wagon, now thats a Ford I would love to have had!
I think a lot of other people including myself would have owned one as well but unforntunantly they dont think of any current trends until its too late...
Times have changed since they got burnt with the e series xr wagons but obviously its a case of once bitten twice shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Good riddance I say.

The B series wagon is an absolutley horrid vehicle in my opinion, doesn't flow together at all. Look at how many Holden Commo wagons there are on our roads (pre VE) compared to Falcon wagons and you can't argue the point.

Now ofcourse this is a Ford Forum and I know i'm going to get crap for saying this which in a way is sad, but if the B series wagon was anything to go buy then people should've seen this coming a long time ago.

:

I suppose vr/vs compared to ef/el is fair game but without trying to insult/target/anger/bait anyone with a reply comment...... being pre VE i still think there is too many taxi wagons, telstra wagons, fleet/ rep wagons, as well as the smaller minority of private buyers falcon wagons on the raod for a car that has been tagged as dead already?
and also i know the ratio of fleet/ government buyers compared to private buyers is a joke but can you blame them considering they arnt the most attractive looking standard family car on 4 wheels?
If there was enough private sales to design a back row dickie seat for the standard pov pack then im sure a simple xr version is not too much to ask for considering the amount of interest from people doing it anyway??

F6 TORNADO ENGINE & RUNNING GEAR

T SERIES 5.6 STROKER AND RUNNING GEAR:

ANOTHER 5.6 STROKER WAGON.....

VERY SPORTWAGON LOOKING BUT IMAGINE IF FORD GOT THERE FIRST????

xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I had a loaner BA wagon a couple of years ago for a few days. I actually thought it drove very well, as good as the sedan. Had me considering buying one.

Thats under normal driving conditions, not fanging it.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Bonnet hump on FG F6 Wagon...nice touch....

Lukeyson
Old 19-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Ford made their mind up with the station wagon when they released the Territory. Nil investment made because they didn't want to keep making it. Just like the BA Fairlane and LTD. It's a common theme with Ford Aus. Slowly but surely, the SWB sedan will be next.
Old 19-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford
I seem to recall emphatic posts from one half of a famous couple here, that the VE Sportswagon was infact a hatch, even though it doesn't qualify as one in the historical sense.

You need to add a "E" pillar to swing the back door on, if it's going to pass the AFF new wagon definition.

Last edited by Wally; 19-03-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The chops of the FG "sport wagons" are hot but I am biased, my wife nor I care about a terri or similar but a gm sportwagon is getting closer on the cards for her next soccer mum run around.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #30
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Then, how come Holden can sell dunnydores as Pontiacs, when GM has a similar car in America ?????
Because culturally Ford US has always resisted better products from other Ford outposts. Remember Euro Fords are only now making it into the US market and then only after Ford was looking at the abyss.

GM resisted too, but Bob Lutz, drove the Commodore, liked it and pushed GM to make the Commodore happen stateside. He is a persistant bastard who never took no for an answer. That and Holden employees seem very good at turning their US bosses into fans, when they are based out here.

No one in Ford has ever done the same for Ford Australia and Ford Australia often undermines its own success as well. Culturally Ford Aust just isn't geared up to be the best at anything. They can't promote, support or build markets for their cars. Success stories like the Territory turn into disasters for them, because they just don't get what it takes to be the best car company in this market. How can people like that sell a car to the US that doesn't want it? The answer is they can't and they haven't.

Dam shame for Falcon which in FG guise deserves better, than the last chapter in a book on "History of the Ford Falcon".
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post