Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tech Question....Adjusting Turbo Boost????

O.k now i'm a Diesel mechanic by trade so i know exactly how simply any turbo works on a truck engine.

But, My question is about the Good old Barra I6T engine.

How exactly is the boost 'adjusted' on say a stock engine from say 2-3 psi up to 10, 15, 20psi and so on to pump out all the power you guys have been getting out of them?

Is it just more fuel which equals bigger explosion/burn???

I also realise bigger and different designed turbo's also help with the power gains.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Tech Question....Adjusting Turbo Boost????

The ecu sends a signal to the wastegate solenoid to bleed off reference boost to the actuator

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. And if you try to cheat by using a bleed valve to get more boost the ECU sees that as a fault and cracks the sads. To do it the right way involves more fuel (bigger fuel pump and injectors and adjustable pressure reg) More cold air Turn up the boost (by telling the ECU what you want and fitting a bigger intercooler) and Modding the wastegate flap and exhaust to get rid of backpressure and still be able to control your boost. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome stuff guys that all makes perfect sense now.

Now I know what they'll be doing when i get my new BAXR6T project car tuned soon that i got cheap this morning... (needs a full $4K respray but is otherwise in perfect low kay condition!!!).
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Project BAXR6T..........Mint Condition........................Coming soon.

May try for at least 300KW with basic CAI + bigger exhaust and bigger Cat mods + tuning for 95.

If I like, may try for 350-400KW.

This is gunna be FUN!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

You will a different list of mods

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Tubro territory 08 getting nearly 20 psi no adusting Boost
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Project BAXR6T is getting fully payed for and driven home this Saturday afternoon on an un registered vehicle permit.

The tyres are still great but damn I hope the brakes still work after i do a few little speed tests........... LOL!!!!!!