Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #91
nevetsg

I have just replaced the Goodyear excellence on the front with some zetum (kumho) ZU37's from Bob Jane. It is a different car, so much nicer to steer and killed the tramlineing. $129 each so pretty cheap.
This can be my reminder. They went on at 132000kms. Seem a bit soft to touch so let's see how long they last.
The Goodyear's were already on the car when purchased at 108000km.

Nevetsg.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #92
IngoStang

Default Re: ****Tyres**** who runs what

Just put some Pilot Super Sports on this morning. Much nicer and grippier than my previous zero nero's. I don't think they will last over 50,000 k's like the Pirellis did though
IngoStang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #93
cram_it_frog
wombat

I just put 2 new Bridgestone Supercat on the front and plan to replace the rear when I need to .

On the rear is Yokohama A.drive which was on the car when I bought it few months back

I have no idea what yokohamma tires are like .

I live in Broken Hill we have only 3 tire stores now Bridgestone and Premier independant they sell BFG and other 4x4 and another independent who sells cheap Chinese tires

There is one more but they sell mostly huge grader and mine tires

Good year just closed down through lack of sales

So we do not have the luxury of choice like you have in the city where you can shop around for a good deal .

I think tires for me are important living in a remote town I often travel to Mildura and Adelaide 110 speed limit and the roads are not good so a cheap badly made tire is out of the question .
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #94
nevetsg

Note on the ZU37's. I now notice slight torque steer off the line that I never had on the Excellence's. But with the tramlineing now a thing of the past, I can cope.

Nevetsg.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #95
b2428

After being disappointed with the toyo teos and needing a new ser of hoops I decided upon a set of hankook ventus or something. Good price as jax had buy 3 get 4th free. All up $411.

First impression pretty grip in dry. Hasn't rained yet so can't judge wet grip. Really quiet and fairly soft riding even with 41psi a Tyre. Still tramline a little but the car as with every Tyre set I have had.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #96
GPT
Starter Motor

Michelin PS3 for mine
GPT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #97
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01 View Post
2011 Mondeo Zetec with 30,000km, and the front tyres have had it. Rears have quite a bit left funnily enough....yep, probably should've had them rotated a while back!

Anyway, some prices for the relatively uncommon size 215/50 R17:

Costco:
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - $291 each (with a $50 discount if you fit four)
Bridgestone RE002 - $253 each (same discount as above)

KMart:
Goodyear EfficiencyGrip (Mondeo OEM tyres) - $225

I've gone for Continentals, which I have been able to get from Jax for a really good price.
So I ended up getting 21,000km out of the Continental ContiSport MC5s (fitted to the front)... Not great, especially considering the original Goodyears on the rear are still okay!

Going to try Hankooks at $155 each...
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #98
cram_it_frog
wombat

I was not a happy bunny I thought I had a perfectly good spare so when I decided to go get a slow leak repaired I found out different,

The cost of the puncture repair is $25 and the tyre was a damaged on the edge and it may not pass rego

so replace slow leak and put spare on that way I have 4 brand new tyres the front were done 2 months ago

No cannot use the spare it is original tyre and is past 6 years old and you cannot drive on it. Because i have 4 aloy and one steel rim the previous owner did not rotate there tyre what a wast.

So Now I have 4 bridgestone supercats

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
Old 18-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #99
MondyMondy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caggs View Post
Just changed the Goodyear EfficientGrip's that were OEM on my MC Zetec TDCi Wagon. They were great when new and up to 25k but then started playing up - tramlining and getting quite noisey. Yesterday i swapped them for Yokohama C Drives - oh what a difference they make. The car feels so much lighter, there is no tyre noise and no tramlining. I got 43k out of the Goodyears, but probably should have swapped them around 30k, but at around $1k plus wheel alignment, I tried to hang on as long as possible. I hope the C Drives last.
Caggs, I'm now in the same position - MC Zetec TDCi Wagon with 45K on OEM Goodyear EfficientGrips - time for new tyres and have been considering the C Drives - appreciate any feed back you might have on these on the MC Zetec TDCi Wagon.

Cheers,
Steve
MondyMondy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #100
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just switched to these and man do i love them. They even sorta hook up in 3rd now which is great.

pirelli p zero corsa asimmetrico

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #101
cram_it_frog
wombat

vevapower so how much are they to buy ?

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
Old 18-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #102
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a great deal and paid $300 each.

Not sure what proper retail pricing is!

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #103
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Caggs / MondyMondy - see my earlier comments re Yokohama C-Drive on XR5.

Cost was $275 ea Vs $380-420 for OEM Continental ContactSport 2 - hated the Conti's from day 1 of ownership (brand new car). At approx 32K kms, glad to see them go.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #104
MondyMondy
Starter Motor

Thanks Alan, with the ZETEC's 215/50/17 and 95 load rating there aint too many options, now also considering the Michelin Primacy 3 ST
Old 19-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #105
Greane01

Now have four x Hankook Optima H426 - very quiet, but can't comment in wet/dry handling just yet...
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #106
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
Caggs / MondyMondy - see my earlier comments re Yokohama C-Drive on XR5.

Cost was $275 ea Vs $380-420 for OEM Continental ContactSport 2 - hated the Conti's from day 1 of ownership (brand new car). At approx 32K kms, glad to see them go.
My experience with OEM conti's on my MA TDCi sedan was also not good especially for tram lining in undulations/ruts from heavy vehicles eg Stud Rd and FTGully Rd intersection, Rowville! Once I got the opportunity to change went for Yoki's and the improvement was amazing.

Unfortunately my current MC wagon had Conti's again here in Germany - OK at high speed but in local driving same behaviour being twitchy with unstable tracking unless the road surface is super even. Since we must use two separate set of tyres for winter and summer due to temperature effect I won't do enough kms to renew them before its time to return to Oz.

Yokohamas are the best tyre I have used irrespective of the vehicle in my 39 years of driving.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #107
MondyMondy
Starter Motor

Just put four Michelin Primacy 3 ST's on my mondeo MC TDCI wagon. 215/50/17 95W. It's only early, but the difference is night and day compared to the OEM Goodyear Efficient grips. Corners so sharply and no more understeer. Tramlining gone and just more relaxed, confident driving. Addmittedly, the comparison is with tyres at the end of life (if not a little past best before date) but so far, feels like I mad a good choice. Got them for $225 each. Probably could do better.
Old 14-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #108
Caggs
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondyMondy View Post
Thanks Alan, with the ZETEC's 215/50/17 and 95 load rating there aint too many options, now also considering the Michelin Primacy 3 ST
Mondy - The C Drives were crap - they started off great but after 15,000km bacame very noisy. Now running Maxxis and very happy after 5000k
Caggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #109
whitetdci

I have just had some goodyear assymetric 2's on and they have to be the grippiest wet weather road tyre I have ever used and I have used a lot and wet grip is my main criteria. The down side is they didn't last long and seeing I have mellowed significantly (and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY!!) I find it hard to justify the super sticky stuff. I have now gone for a Pirelli Cinturato on the rear and will do the same once the Goodyears on the front expire. I also have these on the rear of my other car as they came like that and they seemed good. had the maxxis 511's on the front.
They have been fairly well behaved too. I got the pirellis from bj for $135 a corner which is pretty good bang for buck. Remember bjs price match too so if you find a price on a tyre take it back to them. I would prefer to deal with a big name with multiple outlets if something goes bad.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #110
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have replaced both the wheels and tyres on my Titanium.
I now have Genuine 2014 Focus ST wheels in 18x8 55ET (same as OEM Titanium Wheels) and have changed the tyres also; Continental ContiSportContact 5 235/45R18 98Y XL tyres.

What a difference this combo makes!

The Focus ST wheels really set the car off, I just wish they were the 19" Y-Spoke available in Euro markets!!!

Also, I am selling my OEM Titanium wheels. I will place them on eBay over the coming days if anyone is interested! PM me if needed!
Old 23-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #111
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the common pleasures of getting old is blurring at close quarters.

I replace tyres at 3mm tread depth. Rotate rear to front at 15,000km DIY oil changes. The mechanical vernier gauge is about $15, and definately challenges my eyes.

I noticed a digital (meaning easy to read) gauge at Supercheap for about $30. Could be innaccurate.. No worries, just use the old points feeler gauge to check, (besides it's branded MICHELIN! (China all the same)) Result: good to 0.2mm, and: easy to use.

Verdict: Good product, easy to use but seniors get your feeler gauge out while you've still got the receipt.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #112
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P.S. It's also pressure gauge. I'd suggest comparing it with a suspected good gauge like one of those digital servo gauges which I'm guessing are specified as good to +/- 0.1 psi. Just guessing, I guess.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #113
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a cheap Slime digital gauge and it reads the same as my ancient PCL pencil gauge and the digital air thing at the service station.
Old 26-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #114
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I checked out Choice Magazine for their tyre pressure gauge shootout and bought a $25 Haiger from Auto1.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #115
fitzy1980

Bridgestone Potenza RE 11S
fitzy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #116
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Two weeks ago I had a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus fitted with a 4 for the price of 3 promotion for $675. They are a P215/50-17 95V rating. Though the tyre plate says 95W, according to the RMS in NSW, this is legal as long as the speed rating is above 140km/h! I think the V rating of 240km/h will be OK for me, I doubt she'd get anywhere near that speed. Apparently it is not allowable to decrease the load rating, which seems pretty sensible.

My thoughts on them are that they are much better than the Goodyear EfficientGrip that were fitted as the OE tyres. They seem much quieter, excellent in the heavy rain we've had lately and NO TRAMLINING! That in itself is worthwhile. They are an asymmetrical design and the car steers and rides very well on them. I've given it a couple of fangs through Galston Gorge and there was no hint of drama.

Initial impression is that they were a good recommendation.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #117
mauricio

This week I purchased a set of Maxxis 235/45ZR17 MA511 for my 2009 TDci Zetec Mondeo. I was buying on price as I don't expect to hold onto the car long term. So far they have been fantastic - quite surprised actually. Quiet and grippy so far, and with the $100 eftpos card when you buy 4, the deal was hard to overlook.
mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #118
Scports
Starter Motor

My Mondeo was purchased with good year ineffincies they were rubbish.
I put Michelin primacy st3 $200 a tyre but well worth it.
Scports is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #119
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scports View Post
My Mondeo was purchased with good year ineffincies they were rubbish.
I put Michelin primacy st3 $200 a tyre but well worth it.
I've had the same tyres for 2 years now. They also wear well - looks like at least 40,000 km, which is good mileage on our crappy chip seal main roads in NZ.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #120
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I need two new 235/45 R18 for my Mondeo Titanium. Does anyone have any suggestions out of the following that I'm considering:

Continental ContiSportContact 5 (OEM)
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 (my first choice at the moment, but I've read reviews saying that its predecessor is better)
Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Primacy 3

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in two minds about getting the Continentals again - they grip well, but they've only lasted 25,000km. Who's got experience with any of the above? Or are there any other (premium) alternatives that I've not listed?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post