Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Default TX5 struggles to REV up

Hi Ford owners

For those who have read my other post, will know my car's distributor has been replaced with a refurbished one - bad mistake using a refurbished model.

But now my TX5 struggles to rev up when it's cold. Especially now that it's winter here in Cape Town.

Keep in mind I turn on the rear defogger, activate the front demister and also drive with the main headlights on. In other words, a lot of energy/power is needed when the car is still cold.

Problem is, I had two or three mornings where I could feel the car to struggle revving up as I change gears and accelerate.

It feels like the engine wants to die, is the best I can describe it.

After about 10 minutes, after the car is warm again, it drives fine again.

Any idea's what may be causing the struggle to rev up when the car is cold & I have many electrical things on?

Oh, it's a '93 manual, with about 192000km's on the clock.

Thanks TX5 fans
WineAnt

WineAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

how have you got the timing set on the distributor?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Default Reply to FordACE

Hi FordACE

After having the refurbished distributor installed, I took it to the Ford dealer, where I service my car, to have them do the timing according to their data.

Not sure if it helped any, but at least I know it's been tuned according to what Ford says is the correct timing for my Ford TX5.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

you should check to see if your catalytic converter rattles. best way to do this is get a rubber mallet and tap it against the converter, listening for anything loose in there.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Hi FordACE

Now we're getting somewhere, or at least have something to test/check.

Is the catalytic converter suppose to rattle or should it sound solid?

Sounds like a silly question, but it's the first time I've come across a catalytic converter maybe causing a problem. I'll do some research what this component does. Perhaps it's time for it to be replaced. It is a 1993 model TX5 after al.

Either way, I'll check it out.

Thanks FordACE.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

rattle is bad, means the biscuit (not one you can eat), has become dislogdged. The catalytic converter resides in your exhaust system, it's role is to change the gases dispelled from the car into something less toxic. if it becomes blocked, the car struggles to exhaust it's gasses and thus, the engine struggles to operate effectively.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
fordmondeoman

what ford ace is saying could be a cause, a slight rattle from the cat doesnt mean that the honeycome in it has failed or melted down so dont condem it if it rattles stright away. If the problem has happen as soon after you replaced ur dizzy then im guessing its proberly got something to do with that. i would guess it has a electronic ignition system most likely so dwell angle should be right. when you say it stuggles to rev does it not rev out with 100% throttle while driving? does it rev out when in N or park? one other thing to check or get checked is the air flow meter or map sensor as they play a big part on load for the engine. if not sure unlug the sensor and try if its much better then thats ur problem.
With electricle loads eg lights on rear demister that wont make any real difference to engine preformance. hope some of this helps
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Hi FordACE

Thank for the info. After I read your suggestion, I did some more research about catalytic converters.

From my knowledge, it hasn't been replaced ever since it rolled off the assembly line back in 1993.

It's been looked after by a person who really just wanted the best for his car. To be stock standard and in 100% perfect running condition.

Now it's my responsibility to take that role over. I also just want the best, but I'm not a mechanic & don't want to take it to some Ford dealers where I'm just a number. It happens a lot here in South Africa. I've tried taking my car to someone who knows what he does, or so I thought, and my car has never been the same afterwords:(

Anyway, it's something to check. Thanks FordACE.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Hi fordmondeoman

Funny. my parents also drive a Ford Mondeo

Anyway, thank you for the reply.

With "eplaced ur dizzy", what are you referring to? Is dizzy another name for a distrubutor? If so, ja, it all started after I replaced my faulty distributor. If only I could have gone back in time and rather get a brand new one, than a refirbished unit.

1) "when you say it stuggles to rev does it not rev out with 100% throttle while driving?" - it revs fine, it's just that there's times when it feels like it wants to 'die'. Almost like it's running our of petrol/fuel, as an example as one accelerates.

2) "does it rev out when in N or park?" it's a manual model, not an auto.

A-ha, something else to check "air flow meter or map sensor". Thanks fordmondeoman. I'll have that looked at too.

Thanks again & I will keep you Ford fans updated with my progress.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Waris93
Starter Motor

Default Re: TX5 struggles to REV up

I own mazda 626 V6 2.5 manual which is pretty much same car as yours but with mazda badge, they have known problem of distributor failure, because of bad engeenering design, Did you also replaced spark plugs and cables ? And I've heard many cases where people got faulty brand new distributor so get it checked, and try to pull some codes, could be anything, here is a video on how you can check if you have any codes very simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BCN...e_gdata_player
Waris93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Waris93
Starter Motor

Default Re: TX5 struggles to REV up

Damn didn't realised how old this post is I am on my phone sorry :P
Waris93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post