Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 29-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Launching using Handbrake?

Hi guys, I just fitted a new boost controller and to test to make sure it was reading accurately I thought I would stall it up in my driveway.

Anyways I tried with the handbrake on (so I didnt run into the shed :P) and it got around 3psi and the car still wasnt moving, then later I tried without the handbrake and barely reached zero vaccuum before the car lurched forward.

Is it common for people with turbo cars to launch using the handbrake? Can I expect to be able to stall it up more using the foot brake only when my mickey thompsons are on and Im sitting in the staging lane?

I wish I had of tried this when I had the EB, Im sure my 60' would have dropped heaps!

Old 29-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
eb six on boost
NO CARBON TAX

your lucky you have a floor mounted handbrake, try it in an eb! lol
if it holds your car an makes boost, give it a go and compare findings dan.

im thinking of fitting line locker the opposite way eg to lock back brakes with more pressure.

michael
Atomic performance engine, powerglide, coan converter, gtx55 turbo, 2000hp plazmaman water to air, 100mm throttle body, twin 50mm gates, side exit exhausts, 18 x 2200cc injectors, ems 8860 and race dash.......
7.83 @ 177 MPH

1100+ rwhp @ 40psi

the first 7 second sohc ! eat it

1993 eb falcon 15.4 @ 90mph (tow car)
eb six on boost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Dan just practice see what works best, maybe a few quiet relaxed Sundays at Heathcote are needed...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Aeron
DJR Fan

Did you know that V8Supercar drivers now use a handbrake to do their starts. They load up the drive line to get a better start. I've done it a few times in my T and it takes off quite well, but dont let the clutch slip for too long.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the only downside I could see is the AU handbrakes aren't exactly renowned for their effectiveness.. Stalling up againt the park brake would no doubt see its normal operating effectiveness suffer..

LOL practising launches in your driveway I love it

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
eb six on boost
NO CARBON TAX

well dan i took my car out for a quick blast around the block.
i tried both hand brake and foot brake, best i could manage was 3 vacuum.
breaks cant hold it, it either creaps or spins the tyres.......
need rear brake upgrade. lol
Atomic performance engine, powerglide, coan converter, gtx55 turbo, 2000hp plazmaman water to air, 100mm throttle body, twin 50mm gates, side exit exhausts, 18 x 2200cc injectors, ems 8860 and race dash.......
7.83 @ 177 MPH

1100+ rwhp @ 40psi

the first 7 second sohc ! eat it

1993 eb falcon 15.4 @ 90mph (tow car)
eb six on boost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trans brake it!
Ive got pretty big brakes on the rear but the handbrake makes loads of difference. Only a few weeks til heathcote I cant wait!

Ive got 308 rwkw on tap now too! Im itching to go racing!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I got to try out this method today and it seems to work! My 60 foot times without it ranged from 2.05-2.3 something.

With it I managed a best of 1.76

If I let the car creep with it long for too long it killed my takeoff but finding the right point to let it go helped heaps. I was launching with 6-7 psi with it and 3-4 without.

I just have to practise doing to earlier so Im not spooling when the light is green!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Dan, 1.76 is awesome 60 foot..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post