Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Removing scratches from taillights

Just purchased some second hand G6/XR50 taillights for my G6ET, they are in pretty good condition except for some swirl marks in one, and some minor scratches in the other. I'm thinking that polishing them should get all the swirl marks out, and should go some way to make the scratches disappear, but not sure how to go about it.

What should I use, plastic polish? Ok to use a dual action orbital and a light cutting pad?

Or would a normal light cut polish like S20 Black do the job?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Removing scratches from taillights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Just purchased some second hand G6/XR50 taillights for my G6ET, they are in pretty good condition except for some swirl marks in one, and some minor scratches in the other. I'm thinking that polishing them should get all the swirl marks out, and should go some way to make the scratches disappear, but not sure how to go about it.

What should I use, plastic polish? Ok to use a dual action orbital and a light cutting pad?

The guys at work just use the standard polish gear from doing the cars after spot ups, the same stuff they denib new painted areas with.

Wet sand with 1200, 2000, cut and polish, then finish with a soft polish.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
MuzzMelbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
...then finish with a soft polish.
Couple of coats of UV clear coat for fading prevention, like polycarb headlights?
Old 25-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

When I restored some radio facias and some taillights/headlights, I used Autosol Metal Polish which gave me the desired result.
Autosol Metal Polish works well on acrylic plastics.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2023, 08:18 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Don't bother with a plastic-only polish, that's just marketing.

Scholl S20 Black will be perfect for the job, start with a finishing pad and step it up if needed. Perfectly fine to use a dual action machine too.

In this case, I am dealing with factory defect headlights, but the process is the same. I actually needed Sonax Cutmax on these.

Typically, you would only polish headlights if absolutely needed, however taillights are different as they are not coated in the same way as headlights are, so you don't necessarily need to apply a UV protectant afterwards.

I usually just apply something like NV Nova Jet or Carpro Reload. You can otherwise get a specific polymer sealant to treat headlights.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...nt-spray-236ml

photo hosting service

These kits are also worth looking at due to the specific sealant they have included -

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/in...40102509609049
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I hit them with the s20 black on a da. Worked well. Didn’t completely remove it all, but unless you put your face right up against it none of the scratches are visible. Have to have the right angle of light too. Standing behind the car you don’t see any.

Good result.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I hit them with the s20 black on a da. Worked well. Didn’t completely remove it all, but unless you put your face right up against it none of the scratches are visible. Have to have the right angle of light too. Standing behind the car you don’t see any.

Good result.
Nice work.

Sometimes you have to know when to stop, if the result looks good and you have to be selective in seeing the remaining marks, then why bother chasing it further. Coat them in your chosen LSP and chances are that fill, hide or reduce any remaining marks.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2023, 04:07 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Nice work.

Sometimes you have to know when to stop, if the result looks good and you have to be selective in seeing the remaining marks, then why bother chasing it further. Coat them in your chosen LSP and chances are that fill, hide or reduce any remaining marks.
Exactly. If you can’t see it it’s not really worth chasing your tail to get it perfect.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Look pretty good to me.

2 users like this post: