Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Holden ECOTEC - tell me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Someone here mentioned the VT SS with the L67 option instead of the 5L - here's one:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...13906387/?Cr=6
I remember when Wheels tested one against the 304, and it was quicker. Showed how much of a boat anchor the plastic engine was.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #62
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I remember when Wheels tested one against the 304, and it was quicker. Showed how much of a boat anchor the plastic engine was.
A little unfair. I believe that the 5.0 EFI Holden V8 especially in VT guise was a quicker V8 that it contemporary Ford 5.0 form the eL /AU days.

dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 12:42 PM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Wonder what the L67 is like in the VS, as its a lot lighter than the VT - probably the same deal vs the 5L boat anchor.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #64
hayseed

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/brea...7XcrepJ5aQSRac
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #65
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
A little unfair. I believe that the 5.0 EFI Holden V8 especially in VT guise was a quicker V8 that it contemporary Ford 5.0 form the eL /AU days.

dr Terry
I had a test drive of VT 5.0 Calais coming of fleet. I was considering buying it. It was about 3 - 4 years old at the time. It didn't feel that quick (ie pushing it hard). VS to VT added approx 150Kg. VS Ecotec Berlina I had drive of felt peppy.

I also considered LS1 VX Berlina Wagon another 2-4 yrs old car coming off fleet. I thought up to 80km the Ecotec was doing well to keep up. Once above 80 the LS1 started to really go. I pulled the dip stick from the car and level was at the bottom. Early LS1s (VTII and VX) had oil burning issues. Thought it was best to stay away from the VX Wagon and wait for VY Ecotec to hit the market. The VY was the last of the line and though they should of had most of the bugs sorted.The Ecotec has good practical power for every day use.

The 5.0 is a great sounding V8. I'd just get one for the sound.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

dr Terry
The VT SS was slower than any AU XR8. Probably slower than an an ELII XR8 as well. All the extra pork of the VT didn't help it.

From what I remember the AU was running 14.9's while the VT couldn't even crack mid 15's. Going off that Wheels mag I mentioned earlier where the SC V6 was half a second or so quicker over the quarter mile.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Makes you wonder if they had access to forced induction in the mid 1990s why they never experimented with a supercharged 5L, surely if you were the powertrain engineers at Holden during that era you would have thought about it, albeit the LS1 was on the radar I guess. Although they did a DOHC prototype of ye olde boat anchor so they must have had some freedom there.

As much as the VT 304 is a boat anchor, its the best boat anchor of the lot, the cylinder heads have heart shaped combustion chambers that are a little smaller giving a compression increase, and they went to a hydraulic roller cam from ye odle hydraulic flat tappet cam the VN-VS has (excl series III VS)
Old 24-01-2023, 03:31 PM   #68
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have such old test as well.
The Holden EFI 5.0L is a stronger engine Block than the Ford EFI 5.0L, the Holden V8 can handle more power than the Windsor easy when supped up, so why plastic ? that's just ignorance.

Yes the Holden Sequential V8 had to run on 95 octane or it would just retard the spark timing if you got up it or on a hot day, taking it easy on a cold day you could use 91 but when Holden first brought out the New Sequential V8 they said to use 95 octane in them but sales dropped off badly and they then said 91 octane is ok ?
Well if it did not have a knock censor you could not run it on 91 in fact.

Remember the 165KW VN-P-R-S it did not have a Knock censor but the 185KW did have one, only not as advanced as the Sequential system as the Seq can knock 2 deg 4,6,8,10 and up to 12 deg out as it sees fit to do so, but the old EFI 185KW just takes out 12 deg directly if it detects a ping.

And boy do they drop power with 12 deg retard spark timing ! about 40KW drop in power I would say. My wife's VS V6 auto would flog my 179KW manual ute for sure on 91 octane.

I do not believe that the VS Sequential V8 was 179KW at all more like 168KW ? because I drove a stock VT SS manual and it performed better then my ute for sure.

How could a VS 179KW be so, when it had a single exhaust and the VT Duel with 2 cats.

The VT SS 5.0L Sedan Test against the Ford XR8 one has to remember the XR8 has lower ration diff = 3.27 and Holden 3.08, so that makes the Falcon feel more peppy for a start.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 03:57 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
The VT SS 5.0L Sedan Test against the Ford XR8 one has to remember the XR8 has lower ration diff = 3.27 and Holden 3.08, so that makes the Falcon feel more peppy for a start.
4L60E has better 1st gear ratio than the BTR which feels like its geared to do 300km/h in first.
2 users like this post: