Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2023 VW Amarok

I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it. I guess it’s better than looking that most utes in Australia.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If the point was that Amorok looks and drives differently to Ranger then they absolutely nailed the brief
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #33
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the Ranger coming out with the 2.3 ecoboost with 10sp auto as well? i'd almost consider buying a single cab 2x4 with a 2.3l ecoboost?
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 11:40 AM   #34
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
is the Ranger coming out with the 2.3 ecoboost with 10sp auto as well? i'd almost consider buying a single cab 2x4 with a 2.3l ecoboost?
not in australia
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #35
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
IIRC, Ranger will have AdBlue in the EU while in Aust. our emissions regs mean the Ranger passes without AdBlue.

This was an international media event for Amarok so AdBlue might be used in the Amarok for Australia and after diesel-gate they might not want to take any more negative press. We won't know until VW Australia release local specs.
AFAIK the Australian Amarok is still only a stg5 car so shouldn't have AdBlue.

I don't think they will surprise us with a stg6 car as our fuel quality is not good enough, and using stg6 hardware and downgrading emissions is not a 'thing'

as you say - we won't know until VW release specs, but I'd be pretty confident it will be DPF only and no AdBlue
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
Nope, turned hard, Ford has in excess of 17,000 for the new Ranger, 4000 of those for the new Raptor, thats nearly a quarter of the vehicles being petrol.
Cause it's only comes in petrol now.

If petrol was replacing diesel in dual cab utes then why has Toyota dropped their petrol V6 in Hilux due to poor sales? Same with the Landcruiser, they dropped the petrol V8 option due to such low uptake, and didn't even bother bringing in the petrol turbo v6 for the 300 series. The soaring cost of petrol is only going to reinforce that.

Totally different scenario to passenger vehicles, where diesels have dropped off significantly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #37
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it. I guess it’s better than looking that most utes in Australia.
Can you imagine (no matter how doubtful) if the Amarok was hugely popular and we had Ford made utes (Ranger and Amorak) as 1 and 2 in Dual Cab sales...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

If petrol was replacing diesel in dual cab utes then why has Toyota dropped their petrol V6 in Hilux due to poor sales? Same with the Landcruiser, they dropped the petrol V8 option due to such low uptake, and didn't even bother bringing in the petrol turbo v6 for the 300 series. The soaring cost of petrol is only going to reinforce that.

Totally different scenario to passenger vehicles, where diesels have dropped off significantly.
I’d recon that a fair portion of Rangers and Everests would be used like sedans and station wagons,
so maybe more than a few owners would be open to hybrid or even PHEV in the near future

Rumour is that Ford is developing 2.3 EB Powerboost PHEV for Mustang and maybe Bronco.
If any of that is true than perhaps we can have our cake and eat it too..l

I’m also thinking 3.0 EB hybrid in Explorer / Aviator with 550 hp and near 600 lb ft of torque..

Last edited by jpd80; 13-07-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 13-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #39
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't know what has happened to diesel over your side but the price of diesel over here has more than doubled over the last year its now usually only 15c cheaper than regular 91 then we have RUC which is being discounted at the moment but is normally $80 a thousand kms for a ute when you cost out the extra servicing costs for diesel vehicles it's cheaper to run my v8

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #40
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If petrol was replacing diesel in dual cab utes then why has Toyota dropped their petrol V6 in Hilux due to poor sales? Same with the Landcruiser, they dropped the petrol V8 option due to such low uptake, and didn't even bother bringing in the petrol turbo v6 for the 300 series. The soaring cost of petrol is only going to reinforce that. .
The cost of diesel is also soaring.
Consumers have been brainwashed into believing diesel power is better, more economical and cheaper than petrol power.
Just ignore the initial higher purchase price and ongoing service costs.
The Toyota PDF stuff-up worked well for buyers who thought that a diesel dual cab would be a great replacement for a small sedan shopping vehicle.
How many regret being talked into an unsuitable diesel for their daily driver

Ford won't know if the petrol V6 will sell in Australia if they don't make it available.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford has now filed for trademarks for electric versions of both its Maverick and Ranger pickup trucks.
Interestingly, the automaker has filed different trademarks in Europe and the US.
Old 13-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #42
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The cost of diesel is also soaring.
Consumers have been brainwashed into believing diesel power is better, more economical and cheaper than petrol power.
Just ignore the initial higher purchase price and ongoing service costs.
The Toyota PDF stuff-up worked well for buyers who thought that a diesel dual cab would be a great replacement for a small sedan shopping vehicle.
How many regret being talked into an unsuitable diesel for their daily driver

Ford won't know if the petrol V6 will sell in Australia if they don't make it available.
I have a diesel ranger now and my next one will be diesel; quite happy changing over from petrol to diesel.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #43
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I might sound old fashioned but I really am not a fan of the tablet styled infotainment that some cars are adopting. That's coming from someone who drives the latest Subaru Outback that has one. Im steering away from the amount of tech (especially the intrusive tech) that seems to be placed in cars these days.

Back on topic though, I expected more from the Amarok for next year. Its ok but I give it to the new Ranger in the looks department.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #44
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
Me too!

A little off topic, but why is Ford not representing the single cab models on their website Build and Price?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I’d recon that a fair portion of Rangers and Everests would be used like sedans and station wagons,
so maybe more than a few owners would be open to hybrid or even PHEV in the near future

Rumour is that Ford is developing 2.3 EB Powerboost PHEV for Mustang and maybe Bronco.
If any of that is true than perhaps we can have our cake and eat it too..l

I’m also thinking 3.0 EB hybrid in Explorer / Aviator with 550 hp and near 600 lb ft of torque..
The problem with plug ins is the extra cost. Most of them on the market today are about 10k more expensive than an equivalent non plug in. 10k buys a lot of fuel. Or at least it used to

I guess we will see how it plays out when it surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I might sound old fashioned but I really am not a fan of the tablet styled infotainment that some cars are adopting. That's coming from someone who drives the latest Subaru Outback that has one. Im steering away from the amount of tech (especially the intrusive tech) that seems to be placed in cars these days.

Back on topic though, I expected more from the Amarok for next year. Its ok but I give it to the new Ranger in the looks department.
Good luck finding any car these days without all the tech. 79 series Landcruiser is about all you'll find. Or soon will be when the other vehicles reach the end of their production runs, cause they are all copping big screens and extra tech with facelifts.

I'm pretty amazed that even the cheapest bare bones Ranger has the giant touch screen. All it's rivals in that entry class are packing those tiny little monochrome non touch screens that are about 4-5 inches.
Old 14-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #46
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good luck finding any car these days without all the tech. 79 series Landcruiser is about all you'll find. Or soon will be when the other vehicles reach the end of their production runs, cause they are all copping big screens and extra tech with facelifts.
Good old 70 series can't even manage to change it's own gears yet!

Facelift gets some USB's a cupholders yeow!
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
Good old 70 series can't even manage to change it's own gears yet!

Facelift gets some USB's a cupholders yeow!

It can't even pass the new crash regs, so Toyota had to classify it as a light truck to get around it. Don't know how that was even allowed by the authorities.
Old 14-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

79 series has this niche of hardcore buyers who pay through the nose for it too, I don't understand it personally, I like something nice and basic but not nice and basic and $120K that only has 5 gears and the worlds worst V8 diesel engine that makes less power and torque than an indirect injection Detroit Diesel V8 designed in the 1970s
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #49
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Franco you cut me up.
Course a Detroit diesel 53 or 71 or 92 would just blast a 79 series into the dust.
Back in the 80, s TNT overnight ran Kenworth cabover4 axle pantechs overnight on Melb -Syd etc etc with a 400 plus hp 8v92.
Remember following one in heavy rain around Gundagai -he was doing 130 km/hr -I gave up let him go. those things could fly.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Franco you cut me up.
Course a Detroit diesel 53 or 71 or 92 would just blast a 79 series into the dust.
Back in the 80, s TNT overnight ran Kenworth cabover4 axle pantechs overnight on Melb -Syd etc etc with a 400 plus hp 8v92.
Remember following one in heavy rain around Gundagai -he was doing 130 km/hr -I gave up let him go. those things could fly.
I'm talking about the 6.2/6.5L light duty diesel V8s that were in GM vehicles through the 1980s/1990s/00s and AM General HMMWV, they're also Detroit Diesel engines just probably not as well known as the stuff in heavy vehicles.

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me that a 6V53 or an 8V92 would also smoke Toyota's 4.5L V8 but we're comparing apples with Durians there

Sometimes you'll see Land Cruisers or Patrols repowered with the 6.5L but it's not as common these days as there are much better engines on offer.

Wonder how popular a 79 series cruiser would be but with the 3UR unleaded V8 - 279KW, 5.7L.

Use a tonne of fuel and be an absolute death trap, a modern 1980s F100, Franco Edition 79 Series 'Widowmaker'

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-07-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #51
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
why is Ford not representing the single cab models on their website Build and Price?
to the best of my knowledge, single cab ssb is not available in Australia. There will be a chassis cab option but that's all
Old 14-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #52
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
to the best of my knowledge, single cab ssb is not available in Australia. There will be a chassis cab option but that's all
That's what I was wanting actually, basically a new-for-old replacement for what I have now.

The Ford website is woeful, the build and price configurator for the new Ranger has been broken for more than a month now, pretty poor considering how much business they have tied up with the Ranger.
Mustang GT

Old 14-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #53
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That's what I was wanting actually, basically a new-for-old replacement for what I have now.

The Ford website is woeful, the build and price configurator for the new Ranger has been broken for more than a month now, pretty poor considering how much business they have tied up with the Ranger.
I agree that the website is poor but the build and price is working for me.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #54
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I agree that the website is poor but the build and price is working for me.
Well there you go, it's working for me now. As I said it was broken for weeks, it would not allow me to select a model grade. Even so, there is no Super-cab or Single Cab represented though.
Mustang GT

Old 14-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #55
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Supercab is on the build and price. Only available in XL and XLT with the 2.0. Single cab doesn't appear to be there.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #56
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Specs have been detailed...

It's interesting to note that the mid spec Amarok is better equipped than the XLT so it will be interesting to see how the pricing compares.

2.3L Ecoboost only available as an option on the top of the range model which will limit it's appeal. The base model also has a manual option unlike the Ranger. So there are a couple of points of difference.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-v...als-next-year/

2023 Volkswagen Amarok model range

Amarok 2.0-litre single-turbo diesel manual 4x4
Amarok 2.0-litre single-turbo diesel auto 4x4
Amarok Life 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel auto 4x4
Amarok Style 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel auto 4x4
Amarok Style 3.0-litre turbo V6 diesel auto 4WD
Amarok PanAmericana 3.0-litre turbo V6 diesel auto 4WD
Amarok Aventura 3.0-litre turbo V6 diesel auto 4WD
Amarok Aventura 2.3-litre turbo petrol auto 4WD

2023 Volkswagen Amarok standard features (base model):

Single-turbo 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel (125kW/405Nm) with six-speed manual or six-speed auto
Part-time four-wheel-drive
17-inch alloy wheels
Electric folding side mirrors
LED headlights
Tailgate lock
10-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
8.0-inch digital instrument cluster
AM/FM radio
Four-speaker sound system
Wireless phone charging
Single-zone climate control (air conditioning)
Six-way manual driver seat adjustment
Vinyl flooring
Electric power steering
Mechanical differential lock
Emergency call function
Autonomous emergency braking
Adaptive (radar) cruise control
Lane-keep assist
Eight airbags (including centre and driver knee)
Tyre pressure monitors
Rear-view camera
Rear parking sensors

2023 Volkswagen Amarok Life adds, or replaces with (vs Amarok):

Twin-turbo 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel (154kW/500Nm) with 10-speed auto, part-time four-wheel-drive
Body-coloured bumpers, mirror caps, door handles
Six-speaker sound system
Electronic parking brake
LED fog lights
Heating and puddle lamps for side mirrors
Locking wheel nuts
Power locking on tailgate
Eight-way manual driver seat adjustment
Rear privacy glass
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and gear selector
Front and rear floor mats
Carpet flooring
Automatic headlights
Rain-sensing wipers
Front parking sensors
Blind-spot monitoring
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Two front recovery hooks

2023 Volkswagen Amarok Style adds, or replaces with (vs Life):

Twin-turbo 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel (154kW/500Nm) with 10-speed auto, part-time four-wheel-drive
Optional single-turbo 3.0-litre V6 diesel (184kW/600Nm) with 10-speed auto, permanent four-wheel-drive
18-inch alloy wheels
Matrix LED headlights
12-inch infotainment touchscreen
In-built satellite navigation
12-inch digital instrument cluster
10-way power-adjustable driver's seat
Eight-way manually-adjustable front passenger seat
'Premium' cloth upholstery
Dual-zone auto climate control (air conditioning)
Sensor key entry and push-button start
Ambient interior lighting
Chrome rear bumper
Drop-in tray-liner
Sports bar
Insulating windscreen
Ambient cabin lighting
Thatcham alarm system
360-degree camera
Automatic park assist

2023 Volkswagen Amarok PanAmerica adds, or replaces with (vs Style):

Single-turbo 3.0-litre V6 diesel (184kW/600Nm) with 10-speed auto, permanent four-wheel-drive
18-inch black alloy wheels
X-design front bumper (black)
Side mirror caps, bumper highlights, door handles in black
LED tail-lights
Sports bar and side steps in black
Soft tonneau cover
Roof rails
Spray-in tray liner
PanAmerica decals
Leather seat upholstery
Leather dash top
Leather door accents
Eight-speaker premium sound system
10-way electric front seat adjustment (driver and front passenger)
Black roof lining

2023 Volkswagen Amarok Aventura adds, or replaces with (vs PanAmericana):

Single-turbo 3.0-litre V6 diesel (184kW/600Nm) with 10-speed auto, permanent four-wheel-drive
Optional single-turbo 2.3-litre four-cylinder petrol (222kW/452Nm) with 10-speed auto, permanent four-wheel-drive
21-inch alloy wheels
X-design front bumper (chrome)
Side mirror caps, bumper highlights, door handles (chrome)
'Sail plane' sports car (body colour)
Electronic roller shutter cover
Side steps (chrome)
Electronic roller shutter
Drop-in bed-liner
Leather seats
Leather dash top
Leather door accents

2023 Volkswagen Amarok colour choices

Frozen White
Agate Black (metallic)
Blue Lightning (metallic)
Carbonized grey (metallic)
Lucid Red (metallic)
Moondust Silver (metallic)
Diffused Silver (metallic)
Moroccan Blue (metallic, unique to Volkswagen)

2023 Volkswagen Amarok key highlights (not previously available)

10- and 12-inch infotainment screens
8.0 and 12-inch digital instrument clusters
Premium audio system
LED headlights (previously bi-xenon)
Matrix LED headlights
Puddle lamps in the side mirrors
Ambient cabin lighting
Leather dash top
Wireless phone charging
Sensor key with push-button start
Wi-Fi hotspot
Electric power steering
Electric park brake
Eight airbags (include knee, centre and rear seat coverage, up from four airbags previously)
Autonomous emergency braking
Speed sign recognition
Adaptive (radar) cruise control
Lane-keep assistance
Blind spot monitoring
360-degree camera
Trailer sway control

A bit of a spec comparison between the Ranger and Amarok.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-v...-PVKhKD1MiF2bE
Old 02-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #57
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Amarok, 100% engineered by Ford
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Amarok, 100% engineered by Ford
Engineered and built

I'll take a guess and say the VW premium will be 3-4k over equivalent Ford models.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #59
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Should have stuck with Mazda who took the sexy PX Ranger and somehow made it ugly, this a complete reversal, the Amarok leaves its donor for dead in the looks department im afraid.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #60
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Agreed Bent8, Rok looks way nicer to the eye for a dual cab.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post