Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Warrior M20 SUV

What's your take on these Cummins powered Chinese "trucks"

"New photos of the Dongfeng Warrior M20 SUV, a beast of a car with a massive 6.7 liter diesel engine under the hood.Everything is huge about the M20, note especially the mirrors, which appear to be larger than a television."

https://carnewschina.com/2023/01/28/...diesel-engine/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #2
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Warrior M20 SUV

We already have the Cummins powered Foton trucks, they have not really proved themselves here in Aus, build quality seems to still be a issue with stuff that comes out of China, the engine might run forever but everything bolted to it will more than likely fail, with thier close enough is good enough standard.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How many of the Chinese manufacturers are using a system like OnStar?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

As mentioned the build quality is something I don't trust from China, if they can overcome this issue then it might be a good truck.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
We already have the Cummins powered Foton trucks, they have not really proved themselves here in Aus, build quality seems to still be a issue with stuff that comes out of China, the engine might run forever but everything bolted to it will more than likely fail, with thier close enough is good enough standard.
There is apparently 5 Cummins engine plants in China, I think Dong Feng would be making their own engines
Old 30-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #6
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
There is apparently 5 Cummins engine plants in China, I think Dong Feng would be making their own engines
Even if they make the best engine in the world, the body build quality of most Chinese manufacturers is pretty crap when it comes to the body, just have to look at the new MG (worked on enough of them now to see that they are cheaply made crap)
Old 30-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
It’s a joint venture they did with Cummins intended only for the Chinese market.
Some guys parallel import them and try flog them off for around half the price of a genuine B series crate engine.
From what I’ve seen quality is sub par, and they’ve mixed matched parts so nothing crosses over in regards to engine serial numbers and parts.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #8
hayseed

Quote:
I've got a Foton Ute Had it 6 Yrs. I am more than Happy with It. There's 9 of them here in Town some are well over 250,000 Kms.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2023, 09:48 PM   #9
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've got a Foton Ute Had it 6 Yrs. I am more than Happy with It. There's 9 of them here in Town some are well over 250,000 Kms.
Not saying they are not reliable, more the build quality is not as good.

A friend purchased 2 small Foton trucks to put amongst his Dutro fleet about 10 years ago to try out the quality, they are now long gone, but he still has the Dutro,s.
I know my Hino tilt tray was at 1.1 million ks when it was traded, still on the original motor, 2nd gearbox and 3rd diff, I really cant see any Chinese truck lasting for that amount of ks
Old 30-01-2023, 10:17 PM   #10
hayseed

Quote:
Not saying they are not reliable, more the build quality is not as good.

A friend purchased 2 small Foton trucks to put amongst his Dutro fleet about 10 years ago to try out the quality, they are now long gone, but he still has the Dutro,s.
I know my Hino tilt tray was at 1.1 million ks when it was traded, still on the original motor, 2nd gearbox and 3rd diff, I really cant see any Chinese truck lasting for that amount of ks
I know SFA about the Little 2 Tonne Trucks.. But the build quality of My Dual cab is quite Good.. IMHO.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2023, 12:13 AM   #11
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I know SFA about the Little 2 Tonne Trucks.. But the build quality of My Dual cab is quite Good.. IMHO.
Didn't even know they made a dual cab Ute, honestly have not seen one, but saying that I don't see many of the little trucks anymore either.

With all the dual cabs diving around now they all seem to blend in with one another, I will try to keep an eye out for 1 now.
Old 31-01-2023, 01:05 AM   #12
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard a few reports from mechanics about parts issues n the current Chinese dual cab utes - even when quoting the VIN number the replacement parts are not correct. It appears the Chinese makers seem to make constant changes/improvements month to month which can make it very hard to get replacement parts and leaves the vehicle out of action (most recent one I saw was a mechanic getting shipped 2 incorrect replacement diffs, car off the road while waiting for a replacement).
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2023, 01:37 AM   #13
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

We get that every day, wrong parts is very common as a lot of the people you are dealing with now don't know anything about the cars, they are computer operators that cant do anything without a VIN number or rego, the main issue we have with parts is getting a left part when you order a right, sometimes the packaging even has right side on it but the part is left.
Old 31-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks like it was designed by an 18 year old P plater with all the stick on styling parts at Autobarn.

Certainly very 'extra'.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if they make the best engine in the world, the body build quality of most Chinese manufacturers is pretty crap when it comes to the body, just have to look at the new MG (worked on enough of them now to see that they are cheaply made crap)
Not sticking up for Chinese made, but the Dong Feng is based on a military vehicle, they make the Chinese Humvee

Old 31-01-2023, 02:27 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Even their military steals designs
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

around 2014 we had a big mining/construction show on in Perth, the major OEM's like Komatsu, CAT (Westrac) and Hitachi had a range of gear on display as well as a heap on Chinese firms

Never forget walking past the Komatsu stand and they had a 50t dump truck on display HD605-7 I think, but anyways.. there were a bunch of Chinese reps taking heaps of photos of the truck, HYD pump p/n.. measuring cylinder diameters etc, the Komatsu rep's were chasing them away every 5 mins.. was quite funny to watch
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: