Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Easy Service Question!

Hey all!!!

About 900kays ago i got my AUII Xr6 serviced at City Ford for the 60000kay service. i only did it for the warranty and to obviously get the log book stamped. The thing is i dont trust them at all so i dumped the oil after 900kays and renwed the filter with a geniune one, beacuse the car was feeling a little sluggish. So today i serviced it my self with MOBILE1 10W30 fully synthetic and the car feels so much better.

My question is, i know the AU;s take 5.5liters of oil including filter, but i only added the full 5litre bottle and the dipstick marked that it was full!! It has been drained properly as i left it for a good 20min. So should just add the half litre or leave it as it is!! thanks a bunch!!!

xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

drive it for abit then recheck it, you dont want to overfill it

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool will do!!!but does everyone else here put the full 5.5in??
Old 13-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get 5L out of my AUII XR6 and put 5L back in......i know the manual says 5.5L but i can only find 5!

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Won't that 0.5L fill up the oil filter? See how it goes and top it up if need be after a day or two.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I only use 5 from empty then top it a smig when it is warm about a week later

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AUI holds 5 litres, AUII & III hold 5.5 litres due to longer service intervals.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AUXRVIII, wow i didnt know that! How often does the book say to service AUI's? Well if thats the case i might just leave it, i'll continue checking it just in case. I used the mobile 1 fully syn 10w30 stuff, costs 80 a bottle but man does it make a difference!! God only knows what the dudes at ford put in my baby!!! Good thing i ran it for only 900kays or so.
I'm thinking of servicing my auII xr6 every 5,000. will that harm my motor?? i know it says 15000 but it takes me so long to reach 5000 let alone 15000. (I have two cars,ehehehe)
'
Old 13-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
I'm thinking of servicing my auII xr6 every 5,000. will that harm my motor?? i know it says 15000 but it takes me so long to reach 5000 let alone 15000. (I have two cars,ehehehe)
'
I do alot of short trips , and do very little Km's a year , i change my oil every 3500-4000 kms (roughly every 4 months). Will not harm the engine in any way at all...

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Yeah ... I just put 5L in my AUII ute at the last service ... and it was above the fill mark on the dipstick ... I ahve checked it again a week later .. and still over the fill mark.

I'll keep checking it though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
Steve_T

You'll almost never be able to put the full 5.5l in because you can't drain all the old stuff out completely - some oil will be left sitting in parts of the engine or sump etc. even if you let it drain for a while so don't worry about not getting full capacity back in. One tip if you wanna drain as much as possible out of the engine is to take the car for a good run to get the engine nice and hot and then the second you park it jump under it, pull the plug and drain it out before it gets any chance to cool down - just gotta be real careful draining hot oil not to get burnt lol. As well as getting the most out of it, draining it hot also makes sure most of the sludge/deposits etc. come out along with the oil instead of being left behind.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I always use exactly a 5L bottle in my AUII that's including filter, much better than my BA which takes a ridiculous 6.5 litres!

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:40 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Does the BA take that much ... Might check to see if it's the same for the Territory ... I'd hazard a guess that it is.
Old 14-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
mattsAU1

i get mine serviced by a family friend and he reckons that the best way to make sure you get all the old oil out is to take it to your mechanic and get him to leave the oil to drain overnight and start draining it while the motor is hot mine takes 5.5 litres with the oil filter and he uses penrite oil haven't had any trouble yet
much like a diesel motor where it is critical you drain the oil overnight cause the oil is so much thicker in a diesel
dunno if this is possible if you take it to a ford dealer or anything but if you have the space at home by all means try it
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Mechan1k the territory takes 7.1 litres according to castrol & valvolines lube guide so check your owners manual, I found out the hard way, had to then buy another five litres (because it was ford oil). Would be nice if for spares ask you what the oil is going in when you buy it, no excuse i should have read the capacities before, but being another four litre I thought it shouldn't be a problem. Seems that the ford six is getting dearer to run & maintain in all aspects!

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #16
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For anyone that is interested, when i'm doing a service on any falcon etc after the oil is almost drained I then fill the new oil filter with the new engine oil & fit it, then I wait another 5 mins before fitting the sump plug. I recommend anyone to try it & see how much more oil comes out of the drain plug hole after the filter is fitted.
Old 14-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
AUXRVIII, wow i didnt know that! How often does the book say to service AUI's? Well if thats the case i might just leave it, i'll continue checking it just in case. I used the mobile 1 fully syn 10w30 stuff, costs 80 a bottle but man does it make a difference!! God only knows what the dudes at ford put in my baby!!! Good thing i ran it for only 900kays or so.
'
Recommended service intervals on AUI are 10,000km. AUII & III & BA range 15,000 km.
Old 17-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
Mechan1k the territory takes 7.1 litres according to castrol & valvolines lube guide so check your owners manual, I found out the hard way, had to then buy another five litres (because it was ford oil). Would be nice if for spares ask you what the oil is going in when you buy it, no excuse i should have read the capacities before, but being another four litre I thought it shouldn't be a problem. Seems that the ford six is getting dearer to run & maintain in all aspects!
Yewah on of the other guys on the Territory forum actually put 7.5L in .. probably cos of the oil filter as well ... so now i know.
Old 17-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
I always use exactly a 5L bottle in my AUII that's including filter, much better than my BA which takes a ridiculous 6.5 litres!
Try owning an old '78 V12 jag. 12litres!
Old 17-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggajag
Try owning an old '78 V12 jag. 12litres!
Damn .... equates to 1L per cylinder .... damn expensive oil change
Old 17-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

But not as expensive as the Lucas electrics :-)