Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
Choosing
Choosing cars

Default AU XR6 & XR8

Hiya I'm new to the forum and was looking at getting a EF/EL fairmont ghia, but looking at the prices of AU's I've changed my mind. So I'm looking at AU XR6's and XR8's.

First off, is there anything wrong with the AU1's? Or is it just general problems with Series 1 cars? If so is it worth looking at AU2 & AU3's?

What quarter mile times for the XR6? I'd be looking at auto's but if a manual comes around at the right price, well manual it is.

The XR6's have that Sports mode auto's dont they, does it accelerate any quicker than the regular auto's? Also was it standard or an option? I've driven a fair few Sports and VRX magnas and they accelerate quicker by holding it in gear with the tipronic, they are just backwards in shifting i.e. (well for me anyway) forward for up and back for down.

Oh yeah my car at the moment is a 2000 TH Magna Sports, manual. Itdoes high 14's, best is a 14.7 at 155kph. The only mods to get that are Extractors and a cat back exhaust, oh and my 90mm PVC intake pipe.

Choosing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The AU cars are a good car.They dont have problems if you service it. Taxis use them and get 1000,000 km out of their engines.Do some searched in the forums to see what weve been up to. Be aware though that they weigh heaps more than a magna.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Choosing
Choosing cars

How much do they weigh? When I did that run it had just about a Full tank of fuel, me and stero system, and its got all the power options. It's weighting in at around 1650kg.
Old 14-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choosing
How much do they weigh? When I did that run it had just about a Full tank of fuel, me and stero system, and its got all the power options. It's weighting in at around 1650kg.
My wagon full of fuel ,me weighs 1770 kgs.I dont know bout sedans. I wish it weighed 1650.But is a strurdier car than the magna.I would prefer to have a au ford than a magna in a rear collision

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The AU's arn't that heavy and overall they are a great vehicle, I'd be looking for a series II/III, XR6 or XR8 really depend's on what you want, I'd personally go for the 8, the little windsor is great and sound's awsome.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Weight wise kerb weight of an XR6 HP manual is 1530 kg, autos are 40 kg heavier. The IRS adds another 70 kg.

The XR's do have a performance mode built into the adaptive shift box, it's quite good, keeps the car in the powerband where you need it and shifts quite neatly. It was standard across the auto XR range.

1/4 mile times for stock XR6's range from 15.3-15.5 for the manuals and 15.7 to 15.9's for the autos.

If I were you I'd try and shoot for an AUII/III XR, not knocking the AUI XR's as they are still quite good cars. The Series II's came with a twin pot brakes standard, thicker firewall so lower NVH.

AUIII XR's in auto form came with a transmission oil cooler as standard.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 14-09-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
Choosing
Choosing cars

Thanks Dark Horse. That's pretty much everything I wanted to know. Geez there is not much difference in quarter mile times between the autos and manuals hey. Also the VCT's are slower arnt they?
Old 14-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
justa6
justa6

There would be bugger all difference in the vct and hp, it would be who could drive best i think. Though i would be going series 2 for sure, as it was stated earlier they have better brakes and you can have them upgraded alot easier, the front bar i think looks tougher too.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The AUII is worth trying for just to get the better brakes and in XR8 better motor. Sunnies holder too if that turns you on.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yep, better brakes with S2, but nothing wrong at all with the S1. S1 are bloody cheap now too.

Both V8's and I6's are very easy to get more power from. How quick do you want to go? Sounds like you are keen on the drags... (impressive time from the Magna btw)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #11
loxxr6
XB in parts...

If you're going the XR6, the non VCT has a lot more support as far as changing the cam is concerned. The VCT is a bit trickier to modify in that respect. I guess it depends on what you're looking to do with the car.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choosing
Hiya I'm new to the forum and was looking at getting a EF/EL fairmont ghia, but looking at the prices of AU's I've changed my mind. So I'm looking at AU XR6's and XR8's.

First off, is there anything wrong with the AU1's? Or is it just general problems with Series 1 cars? If so is it worth looking at AU2 & AU3's?

What quarter mile times for the XR6? I'd be looking at auto's but if a manual comes around at the right price, well manual it is.

The XR6's have that Sports mode auto's dont they, does it accelerate any quicker than the regular auto's? Also was it standard or an option? I've driven a fair few Sports and VRX magnas and they accelerate quicker by holding it in gear with the tipronic, they are just backwards in shifting i.e. (well for me anyway) forward for up and back for down.

Oh yeah my car at the moment is a 2000 TH Magna Sports, manual. Itdoes high 14's, best is a 14.7 at 155kph. The only mods to get that are Extractors and a cat back exhaust, oh and my 90mm PVC intake pipe.
There is a thread which is titled common problems with the Au it would be worthwhile having a look before you begin your search :
Old 16-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #13
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I know a great AU II XR8 that is going , 1 owner, maticulously maintained.

Just let me know if you want any details.

Corey
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

having just bought an AUII XR6 HP 5sp i luv it although compared to my old ED i luv my XR it drives handles awesome an the manual is even better i think the VCT engined cars would rate similar to HP non IRS cars cause of the extra weight of the IRS set up but ive never drivin an IRS equipped XR
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post