Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
ljf12

Default Stop signs

Channel 7 tonight ran a story on Perth drivers regularly not stopping at stop signs.

It would appear that it is happening far more than in the past, I would conservatively estimate that in my local area 80% of people don't stop ,many hardly even slow down.

My daughters friend recently incorrectly answered a question regarding stop signs in her learners permit test.She couldn't understand why she was wrong, her dad (mid forties at least) told her they are the same as give way signs.
(Pass mark for learners permit test in WA is 24 correct answers from 30 questions, doesn't matter which ones you get wrong!).

Apparently the penalty in every state is 3 points and fines ranging from $150 (WA) to around $350 in other states.

I guarantee if the police put video cameras at intersections with stop signs and started sending out fines there would be an uproar.

So is it happening because people are like the dad above or just can't be bothered.

ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Stop signs

Just paint a solid white line across the lane. That will stop them.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think the stop sign rule needs to be reviewed much like the round about rules were modified.

C'mon - how many here actually stop for a whole 3 seconds? I know I don't - unless traffic is in front of me and I must stop and wait.

When you have 4-500m of clear view in both directions stopping and waiting a whole 3 seconds is pointless IMO. Flame away all you want but during school and UNI I used to work night shifts and would finish at 2 or 3 am and thought to myself on so many occasions why is there a blanket rule when it is obvious that at some times it is pointless (much the same as turning between X time etc).

But this is the problem with street signs and road rules in general. Some make perfect sense, some make no sense. There are T intersections where you can 'turn on the red after stopping', yet I had another T intersection close to where I used to live that made you sit on a red arrow and wait for nothing even though the waiting cars have around 1km of visible road where you can well and truly see oncoming traffic and turn safely on a red arrow.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think the stop sign rule needs to be reviewed much like the round about rules were modified.

C'mon - how many here actually stop for a whole 3 seconds? I know I don't - unless traffic is in front of me and I must stop and wait.

When you have 4-500m of clear view in both directions stopping and waiting a whole 3 seconds is pointless IMO. Flame away all you want but during school and UNI I used to work night shifts and would finish at 2 or 3 am and thought to myself on so many occasions why is there a blanket rule when it is obvious that at some times it is pointless (much the same as turning between X time etc).

But this is the problem with street signs and road rules in general. Some make perfect sense, some make no sense. There are T intersections where you can 'turn on the red after stopping', yet I had another T intersection close to where I used to live that made you sit on a red arrow and wait for nothing even though the waiting cars have around 1km of visible road where you can well and truly see oncoming traffic and turn safely on a red arrow.
Stop signs are generally placed in locations where the road designers believe you need to stop and not roll through it. I don't actually come across too many stop signs to be honest.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
ljf12

Is it a requirement in some states to be stopped for a certain amount of time ?
I am pretty sure there is no time specified in WA.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljf12 View Post
Is it a requirement in some states to be stopped for a certain amount of time ?
I am pretty sure there is no time specified in WA.
Was (still is???) 3 seconds in NSW.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I guarantee if the police put video cameras at intersections with stop signs and started sending out fines there would be an uproar.
I'd support it but WA Police have admitted they don't have the resources to issue all the fines from those photographed speeding on the freeway and highway or racing lights in safety cameras so I doubt the will want more fixed cameras.

See http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1227003224608

Quote:
FIXED speed cameras in Perth are not switched on all the time because the big number of fines they issue creates a problem for police.

Police minister Liza Harvey made the comment today while unveiling a fifth fixed speed camera for the city, located between the Farrington Road on-ramp and the South Street off-ramp.

When asked why the five fixed cameras weren’t operational all the time, Ms Harvey said the number of infringements issued “created a problem” for the police department.

“It does create a large volume of infringements that need to be processed which created a problem,” she said.

“We want to give drivers a chance at remaining compliant and rotate the cameras around with that element of surprise and people not quite understanding when they are there we find that we get improvements in driver compliance,” she said.

“We get a very good effect on driver behaviour with the current system that we have in place.”
Ms Harvey said the current system would only be changed with sufficient evidence from other trials.

“There’s a range of different things that we could do but we find that the system that we have in place is getting the desired outcome,” she said.

The new fixed camera is the state’s first fixed camera which can record both the front and back number plates, which Ms Harvey says will help catch motorcyclists breaking the law.

“Interestingly during the test period with this fixed location, police are already investigating six hoon drivers who were caught driving between 146km/h and 178km/h on the freeway just outside this hospital development,” she said.

“So very serious offending indeed.

“And we know from previous mobile deployments at this site that we’re getting about 18 per cent of non-compliance with the speed limit, which isn’t good enough. This site is a site of high non-compliance.

“We rotate the cameras through the different locations at Stirling, Innaloo, Kwinana Freeway south, this one and then one on Roe Highway.”

Shadow police minister Michelle Roberts said Ms Harvey was “not interested” in tackling the harder road safety issues.

“I would like to see the Road Safety Minister launching initiatives to help road safety, not fundraisers,” Ms Roberts said.

“We have never seen a lesser police presence on our roads, yet these cameras will raise millions of dollars for the Government.”

Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stop at stop signs.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stop.

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #10
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a formerLicence Testing Officer with the Motor Vehicle Registry (NT) I can assure you that it is not just parents who have a weird idea of the rules. I have no idea how many students I failed from one particular driving school who taught their students that, and I quote "don't bother stopping at a stop sign if there are no vehicles coming".

Ten years of Defensive Driver Instructing also, I always made sure the students stopped completely before moving off.

Also, to the best of my knowledge of the Australian Road rules, you must stop forward movement behind the solid line of a stop sign. there is nothing there about how long you need to be still for. HTH

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #11
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I always stop at stop signs... out of fear of the unseen. This includes the fear of a police person waiting for the 1,2,3, second rule. Generaly just a complete stop is required, but always count 1,2,3, for best resaults.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to regularly use an intersection, where it was almost always more unsafe to stop at the stop sign.

much safer to creep forward enough to see, and then take off from a rolling start if it was clear.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been driving for 30 years in NSW and never heard of this rule, and as far as Roads and Maritime Services is concerned does not exist.

Stop sign means must come to a complete stop, there is no time specified.

QUOTE from Roads and Maritime Services NSW:
Giving way at a STOP sign means the driver must remain stationary until it is safe for the driver to proceed.

PS I stop at stop signs always have they are there for a reason.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are so many rules that people are ignorant of, and the stop sign is just one of them that I've noticed lately.

Others I see on a daily basis:

- Not crossing an unbroken lane dividing line (particularly common on freeway merges where people just have to get across to the right lane at all costs).

- Turning left from the right hand lane at a 2-lane roundabout

- Not moving over fulling into marked left/right turn bays, blocking traffic in the straight ahead lanes (and then swinging out like their Barina is towing a 40' container behind it).

- Changing lanes through traffic light intersections.

- Blocking intersections because they just have to get out there & can't wait one more light cycle.

- Late running of amber & red lights (the other morning I got a green arrow, and had to wait for 5 cars who all ran the red across in front of me after I got the green arrow! - and 3 of those cars had baby seats in them!)

- And the most common - failure to keep left unless overtaking.

The problem is the government would rather spend the money on cameras to raise revenue, and sit cops in cars to read the newspaper while the camera is scanning plates, than actually pay them to do proper patrolling (which doesn't raise as much revenue, but goes a long way towards educating the ignorant).

Standards have slipped dramatically in the last decade, and despite the racist people claiming it's because of immigration (I doubt it, and it's hard to prove it - but just look at the number of anglo-saxon people flounting the rules and it put that theory to bed anyway) I reckon it all comes down to relaxed standards in learning the road rules (hell, 24 from 30 questions? How poor is that?) and a lack of actual patrolling Police, so people get away with it, and continue to push the barrier, until in their own mind they don't believe they are doing anything wrong.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why do people stop at empty round abouts

it really ruins my day
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Been driving for 30 years in NSW and never heard of this rule, and as far as Roads and Maritime Services is concerned does not exist.

Stop sign means must come to a complete stop, there is no time specified.

QUOTE from Roads and Maritime Services NSW:
Giving way at a STOP sign means the driver must remain stationary until it is safe for the driver to proceed.

PS I stop at stop signs always have they are there for a reason.
Well there you go. I have been a law abiding citizen this whole time then

My instructor taught me that it was 3 seconds.

A quick google search will show a whole heap of sites where people quote the '3 second rule' for stopping.

I don't recall if the handbook at the time had 3 seconds mentioned.

Yes, I always stop at a stop sign, I was questioning the apparent necessity for waiting 3 seconds.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Where I live there is a 1 lane railway underpass. One direction has a stop sign the other has right of way. I have lost count of how many times I have just about got ontop of the underpass only to have the car at the stop sign take off and go through. The stopped cars have clear sight of oncoming traffic.
One day when I am in the wrong mood I will just continue along and push whatever piece of crap is coming towards me back out the other side and just say "whoops my bad hope you have insurance".

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

In Newcastle around the Hamilton/Mereweather area we have many backstreet cross roads with stop signs every direction it's such a fun game deciding who is going to give way to whome, I would think it would revert back to the old give way to your right rule? but its a bit stupid with all drivers stopped and just looking at each other gesturing politely at first ...no you go...no you go... then flicking the bird and tearing off.....

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
monzie

I always stop, but keep an eye on the mirrors. A few year back got run up the clacker at a Stop sign and the other drivers first words where "why did you stop"
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I come across many stop signs that seam like safe enough intersection to be only giveway signs. I also see a few giveways which should be stop signs. It's just like whatever sign they had available on the day of installing.

Another one I can't figure out is how they choose which intersections are safe enough to have is "Left turn on red after stopping"
Over the last few years at least 2 of these signs have been removed from intersections I regularly drive through. Both of these intersections it was quite safe to turn right on red. Never saw any close calls.
But there is one of these signs still remaining right near one of my mates houses where it's completely dangerous to turn left on red. You struggle to see approaching traffic from the right hand side and it has moderate pedestrian traffic crossing illegally where you are turning. Some how this is still safe to turn on red.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some stop signs are not necessary IMO and should be changed to give way signs. A stop sign near my place has excellent vision in both directions (although you cannot turn right), this stop sign is near the Police Academy and I frequently see police cars roll through it, just like most other people do. However, there are stop signs that should be there.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Isn't and never was 3 seconds. People say 3 seconds as a way of confirming you have stopped.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The WA legislation (modelled on national code so likely same for all states) says here http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

Quote:
3. Terms and abbreviations used:
stop, in relation to a vehicle, means to stop the vehicle and permit it to remain stationary, except for the purpose of avoiding conflict with other traffic or of complying with the provisions of any law;
3 seconds is a good rule of thumb; long enough to look left and right as usually also required and demonstrate to an observing police officer you have stopped.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

That 3 second rule is interesting.
A friend of mine was pulled over for not stopping at a stop sign.
He told the officer that he DID stop.
Officer said that he was not stopped for 3 seconds, and booked him.

I told him that he should have asked the officer to note that on the infringement notice,[ he didn't] and then it would have been thrown out in Court.

If Highway Patrol can't get it right, what hope have we got.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
3 seconds is a good rule of thumb; long enough to look left and right as usually also required and demonstrate to an observing police officer you have stopped.
And that is all it is. A rule of thumb, not a law.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #26
cram_it_frog
wombat

they used make this part of High school education program and encourage kids to learn the road rules before they leave high school and get a driver s license .

and insurance companies can help by offering some sort of incentive ie financial thing for kids who have passed a exam on what they learned

make sense with so many cars on the road

we have to do something to slow down the road toll on our roads

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose it's fine not to stop at a stop sign or to roll through because you think your judgement is superior to the road designers.

I'd just like to see how you get on explaining that to your insurance company or the authorities after you misjudge something and come a cropper after failing to stop...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #28
mattrobbo26

I recently had a discussion about stop signs and believe that stop signs are irrelevant and should be replaced with give way signs. My argument being that if you can't 100% see what's coming at a give way sign your going to stop anyway. If something is coming and your at a give way sign you stop and give way. There really isn't much of a need for stop signs as long as people pay attention and look.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
why do people stop at empty round abouts

it really ruins my day
One of my pet hates too - they only check what's on the roundabout once they get right up to it, when they could have done the first check 20m or so out, and possibly kept going....but no, they slow down to just about a stop, or stop altogether. The worst is when they do this on a 2 lane roundabout, and they have decided the right hand lane is the one to do it in!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #30
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

There is an intersection I encounter at work a fair bit, which has a Give Way sign, but a solid white line painted on the ground (which I was always told meant stop), so every time I have to pass it, I'm never sure what to do.
I usually go with stop, just in case, since I'll often have 60 school kids on board.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: