Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
dsyfer

Default Any snake people?

Found this chewed up snake out the front today (live in the Adelaide hills) judging by the smell of it, it has been dead at least 2-3 days.

Both dogs are fine, but the snake does have quite a few bite marks in it, so I do suspect one of them did it? or found it dead and had a chew?

I'm guessing it is a brownie, but I'm no expert so if someone wants to tell me if it is. It would be just under a meter long, smallish looking head for body size, brown in colour.

Smells too much to get a closer pic (chucked it over the fence into the paddock for the foxes)

dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks like a brown snake.
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

thats one dead brown!
Old 21-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

This was last week, in Gippsland. Dog retrieved a copperhead for his owners - much to their horror. Snake's head is in the Labrador's mouth and the snake had coiled around the dog's nose. He had been bitten a few times. After extricating the snake from the dog, he attended the vet and has made a full recovery.

Gaela
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 663356-news-image-story-bronson-2010011`8.jpg (40.5 KB, 132 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definetly a browny. we had a 3ft red belly black go through the yard bout 3 weeks ago. long as they keep moving through they're ok!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
dsyfer

Cheers all,

I suspect that the two dogs must have tag teamed it, as they both don't want anything to do with it now.

Hopefully they learnt something, and leave the next one alone.....
Old 22-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Had a Brown snake slither through our place last Tuesday arvo, time to mow the grass again.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
Definetly a browny. we had a 3ft red belly black go through the yard bout 3 weeks ago. long as they keep moving through they're ok!
Nice to know they tend to keep on moving through!!!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
jonk

What breed are the dogs ? They broke it's back big time.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Had a couple of big Tiger snakes here in the last couple of days... they seem to be worse this year than any other. One met its maker in the yard thanks to netting and the other was 'accidently' run over multiple times in the driveway by the old man...
Last year, (biggest tiger snake ive seen) was killed by my dog at the start of the season, on its way up to the house. Poor dog didnt last either...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah brown it is ....... they do smell bad when dead.... we had a taipan with a tumour growing out the side of it.... that was one of the worst smells in my life, it was actually so bad the whole back yard smelled of it for weeks after we buried it

we looked after taipans, red bellies and browns to milk their venom..... them and golden orb spiders, wolf spiders, white tailed and redbacks

brings back memories

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

i had a staffy chew up a brownie protecting her pups one year, she was bit a few times, got her to the vet and all but now she gets a few skin problems from time to time
this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
ford_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes , snakes are bad this year
been living on acreage for a few years now,and have seen more snakes in the last few months ,than in the whole time ive been here
resident 5 - 6 brown,2 red bellys,2 taipans (one stood up about 2-3 foot and travelled at about 100 mile an hour)dozen or so carpets(yes they are fairly harmless make u ill,but they eat my friggin birds @$40 a bird i get annoyed
best not to catch them let me go on there way
but have been told a king brown will go ya,most are as scared of us as we of them
have just also been told by one of the locals that they are a little terratorial,if they meet the maker another moves in (could be BS dunno)
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
dsyfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
What breed are the dogs ? They broke it's back big time.
One is a Blue Healer x Kelpie, the other who I suspect is the culprit is a Staffordshire x Boxer, who is as quick as any dog I have seen.

My guess is whilst one distracted it the other chomped it's head (the head was rather mangled). How either didn't get bitten is beyond me.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
dsyfer

Here are the two responsible.

Old 26-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
One met its maker in the yard thanks to netting and the other was 'accidently' run over multiple times in the driveway by the old man...
hope it was accidental, as i'm sure it's illegal to kill snakes....
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post