Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #121
Barranated
Starter Motor

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Onya mate... going guns.
Just seen something recently about quitting...I can’t remember where I read this....
Some bloke decided to give up the durries worked out that his 40 a day habit was over a 14,500 a year habit, those numbers were enough for him to give it away.
That’s not a bad way of looking at what you’re achieving.
Barranated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #122
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Well, tonight (at around 9pm ish) will be the TWO WEEK mark for me since I last had a smoke.

It is getting easier every day, which is fantastic. Sometimes when standing round talking or washing the car the left hand will dive to the pocket to grab one, then I remember and all is good. I think the Nicotine is finally out of my system, so its not the body craving any more, its more the habit of having one that's got to be broken.

I'm coughing up a lot of crap the last couple of days, but I've heard people say that's normal when you quit. I hope so!

Really want to put out a huge THANK YOU to the AFF community - those who have happily & freely given advice & support (and not only to myself) it really is fantastic. I guess I cheated in the quitting by using my illness as the first step but hey, it worked, and I'm glad

Now to just remain smoke free - like I said though, progressively easier every day!
How's it going? Lungs clearing up? How's the food tasting? People I know who've quit all agreed that the same foods they ate as a smoker now tasted unbelievably good!

Do you feel a difference in your lungs and activity level now?

Hope everyone else is still going strong and committed to quitting. Keep up the good work and remember to take things step by step, day by day.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #123
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I think the lungs have definitely started to clear out now.

I've been doing a bit of reading online as I think the last few days I've been feeling a bit down and annoyed at the world. Also haven't been sleeping much. A quick google helped me out there though - did you know a smoker metabolizes caffiene at about double the speed of a non-smoker? So now I'm not smoking, all that coffee I used to drink is now just keeping me awake at night!

Food has started to taste a little better now, and my sense of smell has come back - I picked up a couple of things at work the other day I wouldn't have got a month or so ago.

I do feel a lot better physically for it although I think mentally I'm suffering a bit, but am trying to push through it.

Last night was a great test that I passed with flying colours. Every now and then I catch up with an older mate of mine, head to his place, listen to records, talk ****, drink coffee and smoke. I was sitting there in his lounge with him smoking six feet away from me, and while there were a couple of times I thought to myself that a smoke would be nice, I just let the thought pass naturally and didn't participate in smoking. It was good as now I've proven that I can condition myself to be around smokers without having the need to join in.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #124
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

good work.. well its been 5 weeks for me.. I started on the champix again..
last time I tried it they made me sick and really miserable... to the point my ex gave me smokes

this time though.. along with the help of mints.. its been sucessful.
I am 35/6 and started smoking when I was 12.. such wise decisions were made back then lol.. I stumbled at my 20 year reunion.. and light up a smoke for a friend.. and felt sick for the rest of that night and the following day.. so I guess that was a successful failure.
I still crave like a beach though.. but its nice to have a car that doesnt stink.. and I can breathe a tad easier.. the fitness thing will be next.. but more power too you bloke.. quicking the smokes is as hard as any other drug..

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #125
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done the pair of you.......take great pride in what you have achieved....not an easy thing to do

all these problems will pass, just a matter of time and patience

you will become more mentally alert as the caffeine leaves your system and your natural system kicks in

but give yourselves a big pat on the back.....well done

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #126
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

errr didnt they take the champix off the docs list as they were found to be no good and could actually be dangerous or harmful??

anyhoo
i smoke capt black cigars/cigs
about ten or so a day

need to quit
did it before many years ago and the change was unreal
ciggies stunk, people who smoked them stunk, food tasted better, i could actually walk down the block and back without being out of breath etc etc
i used the patches and found they worked
i also find it harder to not smoke at work than i do at home
at home i can go and find something to do i really enjoy and you forget about that 2 sec craving
at work its just too easy yo duck out to the smokers area and have a quick one, and when 3 quarters of the shift smoke and they are all mates it doesnt help
but still..no excuse
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #127
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver
errr didnt they take the champix off the docs list as they were found to be no good and could actually be dangerous or harmful?
Nah mate, can still get it, I got a prescription for it last week. Alltho still in 2 minds about buying it or not, as when I put my head do it I can give em up just can't do it when I have durrys in the house. Last time I failed because I got nervous as I had never flown before and I was flying from Adelaide to Sydney and was getting nervous and sucked myself into buying smokes =/
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #128
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've given up smoking more times then I can count. Sometimes I have given them up for up to two years, but throughout the entire time, the smell of someone smoking is the greatest smell in the world. everytime I smell it I want one, the cravings never went away and only will power would stop me from lighting up again..... Until I gave in, again.

A few months ago I tried e-cigs and have been using them since. Some types/brands are crap, but I have found a couple that work well for me. It isn't really quiting, if I ran out of supplies for my e-cigs I would start smoking again as if I had never stopped, it is how to quit smoking for those who don't want to give up smoking lol.
The smell of smoke now stinks, I was offered one recently and tried it, taste like crap and did nothing for me that the e-cig doesn't.
But Other then the lack of withdrawals and cravings, switching to e cigs have given the same results as every other time I have tried to quit, breathing easier, not coughing my lungs up every morning and generally feel better.
So for anyone who is having troubles giving up the smokes, or those who like to smoke but don't like the negative health effects, this may be something to look into.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #129
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

thought they got rid of it, something to do with the heart or something.
no matter
guy at work used it and it worked for him and he was a heavy smoker

its a disgusting habit
i still wont smoke in front of my mum or nan, my nan gave up cold turkey after 40 odd years smoking b&H special filters. i can rememebr bludging smokes form her lol
im having one now and have one left after this one to take to work for a ten hr shift.
ill have it after tea (around 6pm) and then all the shops are shut by the time i finish work so ill see how i go....prob get a bit cranky

as i smoke small cigars ive bludged a normal smoke off a mate at work and it tasted absolutely crap..
now to just get off the capt blacks.....
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #130
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
A few months ago I tried e-cigs and have been using them since. Some types/brands are crap, but I have found a couple that work well for me. It isn't really quiting, if I ran out of supplies for my e-cigs I would start smoking again as if I had never stopped, it is how to quit smoking for those who don't want to give up smoking lol.
The smell of smoke now stinks, I was offered one recently and tried it, taste like crap and did nothing for me that the e-cig doesn't.
But Other then the lack of withdrawals and cravings, switching to e cigs have given the same results as every other time I have tried to quit, breathing easier, not coughing my lungs up every morning and generally feel better..
the eCig is one of them things that will work for some people but not everyone aswell, I have a mate who is a reseller of e-cigs and he gave up smoking by using them, I had a e-cig but it didn't cut it for me alltho the peach hooker flavor was nice! there are quite a few nice flavors for them. The only thing with ecig is that its illegal for the reseller to put nicotine in the juice, which is where alot of people fail with them because of the lack of nico, but you can import nicoteen for personal use legally so you can mix it in yourself.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #131
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

Its a good thing to try and stop. You all can do it! You just have to endeavour to persevere. Anything to try and stop bloody cancer or other diseases associated with smoking is a positive. Keep at it and you will succeed. Dont lose hope.....
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #132
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit
the eCig is one of them things that will work for some people but not everyone aswell, I have a mate who is a reseller of e-cigs and he gave up smoking by using them, I had a e-cig but it didn't cut it for me alltho the peach hooker flavor was nice! there are quite a few nice flavors for them. The only thing with ecig is that its illegal for the reseller to put nicotine in the juice, which is where alot of people fail with them because of the lack of nico, but you can import nicoteen for personal use legally so you can mix it in yourself.
Yeah, if it didn't have nicotine it wouldn't work for me unless it was with another type of nictotine replacement like patches or something.
I buy mine off the internet, import them out of the states.
Old 25-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #133
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well, I passed a test (sort of) on the weekend.

I went out drinking. Heavily. I refrained from smoking a cigarette the entire night. At one stage I said to my mate that I wanted to walk across the road to the convenience store to buy a deck, he said "no you don't" and we went to the bar for another drink instead.

This Wednesday night will be four weeks since I had a cigarette. Almost an entire month.

That being said, the reason for the "sort of" in the post above, was that when I go out drinking its a kind of tradition for me to have a big cigar. I debated with myself whether or not to continue this tradition, the only reason I did, is I thought it may help curb the cigarette cravings a bit if at least I've had something.

I know its bad that I had the cigar but I really do enjoy the odd one. Plus, it didn't induce any cravings that I felt the next day or even today.

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should reset the counter from almost four weeks to a couple of days. Technically I didn't have a cigarette, and I would have been mad to have actually inhaled the cigar smoke... but then again, I did smoke.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 25-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #134
I reckon
Banned

dont know if its been said but go the patches from the doctor i smoked for 30 years pack a day ..never thought a patch could fix it .....been 3 years now ...cant even stand the smell of them now! dont know where the money is going though im suppose to be saving................probably bourbon .

lungs or liver cant win................
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #135
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
y help curb the cigarette cravings a bit if at least I've had something.

I know its bad that I had the cigar but I really do enjoy the odd one. Plus, it didn't induce any cravings that I felt the next day or even today.

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should reset the counter from almost four weeks to a couple of days. Technically I didn't have a cigarette, and I would have been mad to have actually inhaled the cigar smoke... but then again, I did smoke.
lol thats how i started again after a couple years of quitting. Just a small cigar which smelt quite good i thought. Then smoking again a couple weeks later.

try telling a heroin addict or alcoholic they can have just the 'odd one' once in a blue moon.

This might sound blunt, but youve set yourself up for a fail by undoing the hard work & effort youve put in already. To quit smoking you have to embrace the mentality of someone who doesnt smoke......
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #136
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

going onto 7 weeks.. no smokes.. still crave like a mofo though..
still on the champix religiously as well..
my new addiction.. MINTS..
breathing is great.. instead of cigarette stink.. the car now stinks of man..
so Im not really sure thats a bonus.. but Im sure its healthier for me.....

still love the smell of a burning smoke though..

BTW what I save each week not buying smokes.. nearly covers the weekly payments of my new second hand 2006 v8 XLS 1 tonne falcon ute....

Last edited by H.G; 25-06-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #137
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doing well.......keep it up......the cravings will dull over time.....use a mind game on yourself by saying something like "filthy dirty stinking things, glad I dont smoke anymore"

just dont give up!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 26-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #138
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread. I gave up smoking over 4 years ago, shortly after my Grandaughter was born (i.e. the Madaya). I hate the things, the stink, the damage. My daughter made a 'young mum proclamation'-No smoking around the baby.
Stopped straight away. Used Nicabate chewies and pills, great stuff. Only trouble is, I'm still using them now, 4 years later. I guess I'm one of those folks who have found giving up smokes is okay, but my addiction is Nicotine. I'm happy with the stuff, in fact, I haven't had a debilitating flu/cold in the 4 years. BP is great and fitness for an almost 50yo is good.
Some folk may bag me for still being hooked! But I can assure you, I am in no way inclinded to smoke. I even gave up the Nico for two weeks recently, but its physcolgical effects where distressing, such is its hold.
Nicotine addiction is different to smoking addiction. Smokers will smoke Labrador if they where desparate. I got high on my first cigarette, and it has stayed with me ever since.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #139
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys abit of a update i got to about a month and gave it back up because of really bad stress :(
Old 26-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #140
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont let it get to you.....small setback......start again.....just dont ever give up giving up

Old 26-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #141
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
lol thats how i started again after a couple years of quitting. Just a small cigar which smelt quite good i thought. Then smoking again a couple weeks later.

try telling a heroin addict or alcoholic they can have just the 'odd one' once in a blue moon.

This might sound blunt, but youve set yourself up for a fail by undoing the hard work & effort youve put in already. To quit smoking you have to embrace the mentality of someone who doesnt smoke......
I guess you're right actually. Although I'm certain if I didn't have the cigar, I would have bought a pack... which would have had leftovers, which would have been tempting and too easy the next day... you get my drift.

I like smoking. I won't lie. Its hard because it was something that I enjoyed, and now its gone I do miss it. I miss the break on the balcony, I miss having a smoke with my coffee. However, I'm not CRAVING it. If that even makes sense. To put it another way, while I do miss it, its not something I miss to the point of running out and getting more.
Quote:
Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #142
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's great you realized all that. That's a big step don't you think?

You miss it but don't CRAVE it.......that's your body telling you it doesn't need it as much anymore. You can do without so keep going forward and in time you'll miss it less and less. Other members here were successful, you can do it too!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #143
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had a smoke in a while now with no intrest in having one. Even on the turps, get offered one and have no desire to take it, just the thought of the taste really puts me off, which is a bit strange as I use to really like them.
Ecigs (with nicotine) taste so much better and give the same satisfaction.
It feels like cheating in a way, giving up the things I don't like about smoking (health issues, stink, etc) but keeping the parts I enjoy.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #144
qdda5

I too had a few issues with giving up smoking and had a few hiccups along the way. Just dont put too much pressure on yourself and try again when you are ready.If you fall off the wagon dont give up. Dont find excuses to fail. You can beat this habit although it may take time. Dont forget that you decided to take the first step and give up in the first place. Good on you!!. I gave up using Champix and found it very effective with minimal side effects. Havent had a smoke in 4 years. Biggest and saddest turning point however, was watching my mother slowly dieing as a result of Lung cancer. She had been a smoker for most of her life. I vowed to never let my boys watch me die a crappy death like this. You see the adds on TV and try to brush them off. They are a reality I can assure you.

Good luck to everyone trying to get off this disgusting habit. Persistance is the key. Dont give up. You will beat it.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #145
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

its ok. accidents will happen but its ok, we all fall off the wagon sometimes..its not your whole life...its only 1 day.. you havent thrown everything away.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #146
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Five weeks without a smoke (bar the cigar I mentioned a couple of weeks back).

Still a bit mentally up and down, but high as a kite today off the fact I've got a 9 day weekend - gotta love annual leave!!!
Quote:
Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #147
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I decided to stop smoking for my birthday. Was a 10-15 smokes a day, 12 or 16mg strength person. Day 3, all is going well and doing it cold turkey. Remember folks, you are in control of the hand which is holding the cigarette.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #148
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
I decided to stop smoking for my birthday. Was a 10-15 smokes a day, 12 or 16mg strength person. Day 3, all is going well and doing it cold turkey. Remember folks, you are in control of the hand which is holding the cigarette.
That's the best present you can give to yourself, your body, health and lungs will thank you!

Quote:
Five weeks without a smoke (bar the cigar I mentioned a couple of weeks back).

Still a bit mentally up and down, but high as a kite today off the fact I've got a 9 day weekend - gotta love annual leave!!!
Yay 9-day weekend! Enjoy your long weekend and smell the air! Have fun!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #149
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Yay 9-day weekend! Enjoy your long weekend and smell the air! Have fun!
I'll be enjoying sleep more than anything I think!!! And a few video games.

I tend to burn the candle at both ends, work during the day and go out cruising or catching up with mates at night, tend to overdo it all a bit at times.

Going out for a few drinks tonight, but I'm going with some really good friends who will probably tackle me to the ground and beat the crap out of me before they let me buy a deck of smokes, plus, I managed last time I went out with only a cigar, tonight I'm going to TRY with nothing (although my trademark signature cigar does sound good now that I think of it....). In all seriousness though the post above about having the mentality of a non smoker, I think I'm seriously going to try not smoke at all - cigar or otherwise.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #150
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver
thought they got rid of it, something to do with the heart or something.
no matter
guy at work used it and it worked for him and he was a heavy smoker

its a disgusting habit
i still wont smoke in front of my mum or nan, my nan gave up cold turkey after 40 odd years smoking b&H special filters. i can rememebr bludging smokes form her lol
im having one now and have one left after this one to take to work for a ten hr shift.
ill have it after tea (around 6pm) and then all the shops are shut by the time i finish work so ill see how i go....prob get a bit cranky

as i smoke small cigars ive bludged a normal smoke off a mate at work and it tasted absolutely crap..
now to just get off the capt blacks.....
I smoked the Capt blacks for about 18 months, then went on a cruise in Dec 2011 where I could only get cigarettes, so smoked them for the week I was away, then a month later, I gave up everything with the help of champix. Been 5 months, 16 days, 22 hours, 24 mins and 30 seconds since my last smoke.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post