Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #31
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
No probs... NO politics.. My apologies.
One last hurrah though.. This IS a car forum, as I well know!
AND if this damn ETS gets it's foot in the door, I reckon in 20 yrs time we'll be back to riding pushbikes.. Forget your hot 4's, turbo 6's or V8's.
Forget Electric hybrids...
Yeh your right charlie, this is a car forum, my apoligies also to the other fellas on the forum if i have taken it into the politics arena.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
It's completely your choice to agree with it and i have no problem with that, It's your right to voice that opinion.

What i do have a massive problem with is what continues to be one of the most outrageous scams of the modern era. The only thing this will achieve is speeding up the process of our manufacturing base moving offshore to a country where this form of tax is not in place. We can wave goodbye to the mining industry as soon as china becomes a player in that sector because they will never have a "Carbon Tax" or "Mining Tax". We can usher in a new era of massive energy costs that will futher burden families.

This is somehow meant to help the economy? I wouldn't mind knowing how?
Like i said b4. It's a chess game. You'll find everyone in the world watching each other, waiting to see who moves first and how it's implemented. I'm sure it won't just be us that'll be paying this tax.
I'm young and look at this as opputunites. We could be the world leaders in (eg) renewables, if all this money was put into this and not compensation, we could then export expertise around the globe.
One door shuts another will open......
Old 24-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #33
StookEB

The Opposition leader said that under a $26-a-tonne carbon price, power bills would jump $300 a year and petrol prices would rise 6.5c a litre.

Will they use all the extra money to fund renewable energy??? If not then why make the tax in the first place???
Old 24-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StookEB
Will they use all the extra money to fund renewable energy??? If not then why make the tax in the first place???
Hopefully it makes decent solar systems more affordable.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #35
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Spain introduced a Carbon tax, all their industry went to other countries, everything else became prohibitively expensive.

Currently they are sitting on a 20% unemployment rate...
Old 24-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The previous Government plan on a carbon tax would have raised 114 Billion dollars and two thirds of this was ear marked for "developing economies". The example given for these "developing economies" were China and India. So the Australian tax payer would be subsidizing our energy industry to develop new higher cost but less polluting sources of energy whilst our coal is sold at virtual cost prices to India and China. Then our industry would be hit with carbon costs which would be put on to the consumer as carbon tax and the funds raised would end up overseas. I do not see how any of this is helpful and I cannot see how a tax can save the environment. It sure as hell hasn't stopped people smoking and drinking.
Old 24-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #37
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
I believe the new tax if passed through the senate will push up the price of fuel a lot more than currently estimated as this carbon tax will filter through everything we buy and consume, hope i am wrong.
The way I see it , and correct me if wrong is as follows , the carbon tax being applied causes increases in the cost of fuel road trax , state registration and parts like tyres and anything manufactured locally plus of course many things we can only see as the over run is passed along and hence the cost of cars , the government will put on more staff to admisinster the tax and the subsudies to some of the population .
Taking as it does administer the tax about 30% in fees and labour . Perhaps a part of the funds will be spent on the appearence of research into alternative power generation and maybe some sort of transpost modifications and alternarive fuel for cars leaving about 1/3 for repatriation to those who can least afford the new great big tax . In doing so it may well kill the local automotive industries and thousands of jobs in production and parts support and repair , not happy jan as I am thinking the work and industry left will leave going to cheaper places with no carbon tax and we lose lose lose , I doubt I will be able to afford $3.00 a litre in a year or two
Old 25-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if we make enough noise it won`t get in.
Old 25-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #39
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if we make enough noise it won`t get in.
if the noise was directed at the GG, we may see another whitlem.
Old 25-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #40
munners

Who uses power that they don't need to? If its night time and you need to see, you turn a light on and use power. If you have an electric oven and you need to cook, you use power. What? Do we go back to candles and fireplaces????

How can she not get that?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 25-02-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: quote removed
Old 25-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #41
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners
Who uses power that they don't need to? If its night time and you need to see, you turn a light on and use power. If you have an electric oven and you need to cook, you use power. What? Do we go back to candles and fireplaces????

How can she not get that?
If you had a fireplace you would probably have to get a license to produce carbon for it and you would likely be stung with operating taxes.
Old 25-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #42
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If my last post was political than try this.

This tax is just another money grab by so called leaders of this nation it is time we stood up to them.

Lets as a nation get together and stop this tax before it gets started.

Ian
Old 25-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #43
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national/shoc...-1226011860467
It's a fairly long interview from this morning.....Alan Jones v Julia Gillard....
Old 25-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #44
Tealglow
Waiting

Do they have a business model for this?

The end user/ consumer is going to get compensated so that (presumably) they are not affected by the imposition of a tax.

This leaves the evil big businesses to bear the brunt of operating "unclean".
I am sure they will all suck up the increased cost and not pass it on to the consumer. We can see how the banks quake in their boots over interest rates.

The adoption of a "clean" energy platform is farcical in the face of a corresponding No-Nuclear agenda.

Solar and wind may contribute, but they are not the answer because ultimately they are not consistent sources.

1984 Bronco XLT 351 C6 4WD - Black/ Silver LPG, 3" Lift, American Racing Wheels

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD Renegade- Black

2009 FG XR6 Vixen
Old 25-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #45
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker888
Do they have a business model for this?

The end user/ consumer is going to get compensated so that (presumably) they are not affected by the imposition of a tax.

This leaves the evil big businesses to bear the brunt of operating "unclean".
I am sure they will all suck up the increased cost and not pass it on to the consumer. We can see how the banks quake in their boots over interest rates.

The adoption of a "clean" energy platform is farcical in the face of a corresponding No-Nuclear agenda.

Solar and wind may contribute, but they are not the answer because ultimately they are not consistent sources.
No, its not like that at all...
The goverment raises money from taxes, the power company raises prices, the goverment pays households to cover cost increases which essentially pay the increased costs of the power companies.
The short version... Goverment gives power companies our money.
Old 25-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #46
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Any tax that goes onto transport costs will make everything go up in price. Quite simple really. Everything you buy has a transport component. Then inflation goes up, then our rates go up, and so on. Bad news!
And also, I'm sorry Mr Shnrub, but you own an old car that puts out a metric cr@pload of emissions, so you'll now pay "One Hundred Billion Dollars" in rego!
Sad that they are removing or removed all the schemes/rebates that might encourage people to go down a greener path, only to tax the living hell out of us. Where does all the money go to? General revenue coffers I guess, to be splurged on whatever whim these crazy pollies have at the time..... and I can bet it's not funding anything remotely enviromental! Why aren't they investigating nuclear? Off the table I guess due to being in bed with the greens?
Old 25-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #47
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they want to have an effect on climate change and not just make money, I know how to do it.

Stop all exports of coal (that is used for burning)

The coal we export contributes to emissions like nothing else we do.
Of course that wont happen.
Old 25-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #48
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is another side of the carbon tax that no one has mentioned fully yet.
They are going to introduce a tax on all live stock a farmers has.
What this means is a farmer will have to pay at this stage an unknown amount per year for everyy head of live stock he owns.Thats cows,sheep,pigs,horses the lot.

As most farmers sell there livestock though sale yards who is going to pay for it the farmer so they will have less to spend on other things meaning alot of small country towns and biusnesses will go bust.

How can they sayy this is good for australia.

Ian
Old 25-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #49
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Electricity bill could increase by $500 a year"

"Petrol to rise 6.5 cents a litre"

"Bluscope Steel says Carbon Tax will be responsible for 'Potentially killing manufacturing in Australia' "

http://www.news.com.au/national/cash...-1226011690878
Old 25-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #50
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Watch unemployment go through the roof.

The way I see it you have two options...

1. Get a government job
2. Move out of the country
Old 25-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #51
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what is the money generated from the Carbon Tax supposed to do? Is it going towards building a massive freezer to make a massive icecube to drop in the ocean and reduce the global temp?
Old 25-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
MAD
Petro-sexual

If they wanted to really reduce Australia's carbon output, they'd be building nuclear power plants. Brown coal is the biggest cause for high carbon pollution in Australia.
Old 25-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #53
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I know this thread is politically sensitive, and I'm try to avoid the minefield.

I have searched and prepared an email listing for every Labor and Liberal MP/Senator that I can find. This information is all publicly available, but takes hours to gather. Would it be allowable for me to provide the email list on the forum?

I think people have a right to voice their views to our elected officials. Placing the email list on the forum will save me from potentially being inundated with dozens of private messages.

I am passionate about achieving the best possible outcome for Australia, and do not believe a carbon tax or ETS will provide any benefit to Australia.

FWIW, in 2010 during the leading weeks to the Senate ETS vote and Copenhagen Climate summit, I felt my opinion had to be heard and for the first time ever I literally sent dozens of emails to the opposition coalition, asking the coalition to not support the ETS and to the government asking them to delay the ETS.

Nearly all the coalition MP's replied, hardly got anything from the government...

I will leave you with these words... "you get what you settle for..."
Old 25-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #54
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have all ready sent a message to my local member.

Ian
Old 25-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #55
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Considering i live within 30Km of 3 Coal powered power stations i'll be very interested to see where all this heads, our local industry survives off those stations no matter what you do for a living.

This country better find a voice soon as if this gets in, labour, green, liberal it all doesn't matter it will not be reversed, ever!

We are already taxed to the hilt, it's time to step up, im not against australia going 'greener' but killing the country with taxes is not the way to do it.
Old 25-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
If they wanted to really reduce Australia's carbon output, they'd be building nuclear power plants. Brown coal is the biggest cause for high carbon pollution in Australia.

Yet it will account for less then 1% of the worlds CO2 output.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #57
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing that upsets me is that they will just waste the money anyway.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #58
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
there is another side of the carbon tax that no one has mentioned fully yet.
They are going to introduce a tax on all live stock a farmers has.
What this means is a farmer will have to pay at this stage an unknown amount per year for everyy head of live stock he owns.Thats cows,sheep,pigs,horses the lot.

As most farmers sell there livestock though sale yards who is going to pay for it the farmer so they will have less to spend on other things meaning alot of small country towns and biusnesses will go bust.

Ian
That's not true from what I read, possibly the source is incorrect..
source was yahoo.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/...-price-to-star

Agricultural emissions will not be included in the carbon pricing system.

"The measures and mechanisms for counting agricultural emissions are simply too complex,"

"But we do want to work with farmers with our agricultural community to make sure that they get the benefits of changing practices and changing carbon."

================================================== =======

We shall have one more go before the thread is closed.
Those of you that insist on wanting to talk politics can do it here:
http://aussiepolitics.proboards.com/

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 25-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #59
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as you keep deleteing my posts what i will type mayy get deleted but i will do anyway.

As a farmer of some 2000 sheep we have been told by this labor federal goverment that we will be paying it they cant tell us how much and when it will start.

As for no political debate we are a free nation and i have a right to it.

spoolman i have not over stepped any mark and have been qiute restrand in what i have said so why delet it.

Ian
Old 25-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #60
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
That's not true from what I read, possibly the source is incorrect..
source was yahoo.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/...-price-to-star

Agricultural emissions will not be included in the carbon pricing system.

"The measures and mechanisms for counting agricultural emissions are simply too complex,"

"But we do want to work with farmers with our agricultural community to make sure that they get the benefits of changing practices and changing carbon."

================================================== =======

We shall have one more go before the thread is closed.
Those of you that insist on wanting to talk politics can do it here:
http://aussiepolitics.proboards.com/

spoolman dont believe every thing you read.

There is a lot of people in australia that need to get out in the real world and see what is really going on.

Ian