Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #61
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
So you would prefer completely unregulated fares , no cameras , no driver accreditation , no uniform or a roadworthy car and don't worry about disabled people either ?
Regulation is needed in all industries to make them work properly and safely, but from what I have heard is taxi drivers are being charged absolutely huge amounts of money for things that should be a fraction of the price.

I thought Uber was trying to make it's services legal without having to force it's drivers to pay 10's of thousands of dollars a year for the privilege of working.

I have also had some pretty terrible Taxi drivers over the last few years.
Last one couldn't drive for **** and had to ask me how to get from Newcastle CBD to Newcastle's biggest hospital. FFS surely they are pretty popular taxi spots and Newcastle isn't exactly as big and complicated as Sydney.
I used to just say my suburb name back before 2010, but these days I have to tell them to go to the hospital and then I will tell them where to go from there, because most of them don't know my suburb or they get it confused with a different suburb which is 10km away
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #62
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see Uber, Airbnb and other similar share economy entities as the younger generations taking charge, ignoring the baby boomer stranglehold on society, thumbing their noses at what they see as antiquated, corrupt, practices for new fresh ways of doing things, more aligned with their thinking. Breaking out of the shackles held tight over the 'X's and Y's the millenials wont stand for it. will happily watch the whole lot come crashing down so that their way rises from the ashes.
Regulation, rules, protecting others investments and grey outrage means squat in this generational war!
you worry about legitimisation through irrelevant paper trails they don't.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #63
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Wow this sounds familiar (see my location). Next thing there will be a great big fire wall...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #64
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I see Uber, Airbnb and other similar share economy entities as the younger generations taking charge, ignoring the baby boomer stranglehold on society, thumbing their noses at what they see as antiquated, corrupt, practices for new fresh ways of doing things, more aligned with their thinking. Breaking out of the shackles held tight over the 'X's and Y's the millenials wont stand for it. will happily watch the whole lot come crashing down so that their way rises from the ashes.
Regulation, rules, protecting others investments and grey outrage means squat in this generational war!

JP
Reminded me of seeing this the other day.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 AM   #65
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post

JP
New , Fresh way being calling a taxi service ride sharing and using ( not employing) drivers in unregulated arrangements ? I prefer the old way of doing things ( which does need improvement) .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #66
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I use Uber all the time when i am home in Canberra. As an example, a trip to the airport in a normal cab is $24-$26 with Uber is costs me $13-$14. The taxi industry is up in arms because they can't scam people like they used to anymore.

Listen to all the anti Uber people whine about it, they annoy me. I see it just like getting a lift with a mate. I havn't had one dodgy driver yet with Uber and yet with cabs easily 1 in 3 were terrible. All cars i have been in so far have been no older than 3 years.

Sucks to be a taxi driver right now doesn't it?
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #67
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the taxi industry in Australia wasn't such a monumental cluster ***** we wouldn't be having this conversation
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #68
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Taxi are dear, Uber is cheap that's all the comsumer sees. It is unfair that a taxi licence cost so much, with an outlaying cost like that I'm supprise we have any taxis at all. That's a bloody house mortgage for god sake, dosen't seem worth it to me.

I personally hope that Uber succeeds and that Taxi drivers jump the fence and become Uber drivers. Because govco is just taken everybody for a ride 250K for a licence is just rediculous. I fell sorry for the cab drivers but at the end of the day the comsumer will go the cheaper option. I remember last time I got a cab from the airport to my place it was $130. If I get a lift of a mate doesn't even amount to 10 dollars worth of fuel. So I doubt if the cab driver is pocketing the rest, bloody govco.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #69
kennyboy

The guys who spent the money on the "house mortgage" will lose it all if uber wins, they bought in as an investment. The real problem with regulation is BAD regulation. All the taxi peopile are asking for is a level playing field. Uber is expected to play by the same rules. Any businessman would expect the same in their industry. Uber are playing the new boy vs the establishment now but if they win they will become the establishment able to set there own prices unopposed. Then they will start complaining when something new comes along.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #70
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and thus turns the great wheels of commerce, capitalism and economies.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #71
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
The guys who spent the money on the "house mortgage" will lose it all if uber wins, they bought in as an investment. The real problem with regulation is BAD regulation. All the taxi peopile are asking for is a level playing field. Uber is expected to play by the same rules. Any businessman would expect the same in their industry. Uber are playing the new boy vs the establishment now but if they win they will become the establishment able to set there own prices unopposed. Then they will start complaining when something new comes along.
All businesses know competition can come from anywhere and a once very successful company can be left behind and go out of business with all the employees losing their jobs.

There have been many Aussies over the years with big financial commitments that have found themselves redundant and have needed to move on and find another form of employment and there will continue to be a lot of Aussies who have to do so in the future.

Transporting people is going through change and if the public vote with their feet to embrace Uber then the Taxi Industry becomes like one of those companies that is confined to the past.

New innovative competition isn’t about a level playing field it’s about stepping outside the square and giving the customer what they want, so maybe instead of trying make a futile attempt to stop the competition the Taxi Industry should channel their energy into competing and being better than Uber.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #72
Itsme
Experienced Member

I can see where Kennyboy is coming from regarding licences & fees, legalise Uber & make them pay the fees then fair competition starts, I still think Uber will still win hands down.

OBTW Kennyboy, the hire car business has been trying to break in the taxi monopolised industry for years without success which imo has not been fair.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #73
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Reminded me of seeing this the other day.

Uber is worth than Ford or General Motors and what assets does it own??
An app and a few computer rooms.

How many people does it employ??
NO drivers, just a few tech heads to run things.

What does it produce/make/do?
?????

How much profit has it made??
Nowhere near enough for a $60 billion company.
Investors should be nervous. It is a private company and doesn't publish accounts.

How much tax has it paid in Australia?
The Australian boss of Uber actually doesn't know and will get back to us on that one.
He said this at government TAX INQUIRY!!

Smells like a dotcom type bubble to me....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #74
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I use Uber all the time when i am home in Canberra. As an example, a trip to the airport in a normal cab is $24-$26 with Uber is costs me $13-$14. The taxi industry is up in arms because they can't scam people like they used to anymore.

Listen to all the anti Uber people whine about it, they annoy me. I see it just like getting a lift with a mate. I havn't had one dodgy driver yet with Uber and yet with cabs easily 1 in 3 were terrible. All cars i have been in so far have been no older than 3 years.

Sucks to be a taxi driver right now doesn't it?

MY mates wouldn't charge me for a lift to the airport...get some better mates.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #75
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
If the taxi industry in Australia wasn't such a monumental cluster ***** we wouldn't be having this conversation

DO NOT EVER go overseas if you think Australian taxis are bad.
In San Francisco where Uber started, admittedly the taxis were pretty bad, but if cheap and nasty is what consumers want, that's what they will get.
A tuk tuk ride through Canberra in the middle of winter should be fun!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #76
tonys6550

Just for arguments sake, take Uber out of the equation and what does it leave..........................Still a dilapidated system
Uber style ride share is the future and those foaming at the mouth screaming blue murder either need to embrace it or provide a better service.....simple.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 02:37 AM   #77
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Uber is worth than Ford or General Motors and what assets does it own??
An app and a few computer rooms.

How many people does it employ??
NO drivers, just a few tech heads to run things.

What does it produce/make/do?
?????

How much profit has it made??
Nowhere near enough for a $60 billion company.
Investors should be nervous. It is a private company and doesn't publish accounts.

How much tax has it paid in Australia?
The Australian boss of Uber actually doesn't know and will get back to us on that one.
He said this at government TAX INQUIRY!!

Smells like a dotcom type bubble to me....

This post is obviously scaremongering and a average attempt at that which indicates Uber well and truly has the Taxis are on the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel

I’ve travelled and lived overseas and I’d testify Australian Taxis are bad.

You can live in Manhattan without owning a car and use Taxis to get around all day they are so cheap, try doing that in Sydney and you’ll go broke in a week.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #78
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
In San Francisco where Uber started, admittedly the taxis were pretty bad, but if cheap and nasty is what consumers want, that's what they will get.
A tuk tuk ride through Canberra in the middle of winter should be fun!
Lived and worked o'seas and the odd trip (India, Phillipines, Singapore etc). Über is the kick in the arsse the taxi industry desperately needs.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #79
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
No what people are saying is if you treat them badly for long enough they will eventually look for or welcome almost any alternative.

I’m not sure what side of the fence I’m on in this argument but I definitely know the Taxi Industry has had their chance and I don’t support them.

Agreed, people have enough in their lives, they just want to get from point A to point B and not be refused.

Maybe Uber fails, so be it, but for now it's the kick in the **** the taxi industry needs. Improve their service and people will come back. They aren't just walking out and trying something else for ***** and giggles, they've had enough.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ll go against the grain and say most of the taxis ive had ........ admittedly not heaps , but 4 or 5 this year have been good, cars where less than a year old by my estimation , and i might add the service has improved from years ago big heaps , the taxi app on the phone is very cool indeed, maybe its different in different areas i dont know ?

personally i wouldnt like to pay $ 100,000.00 dollars for a taxi licence or whatever it costs only to be shafted by some upstart company who comes out of no where and pays next to nothing and has very little responsibility to the customer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #81
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I caught a Taxi this morning, I booked it to pick me up from home.

It was the same service that I lodged a complaint about the other day regarding the extremely poor condition of the vehicle, the erratic driving and in particular the fact it had an unacceptable strong smell of cigarette smoke in the cabin.

This time a reasonably new Camry arrived, the car appeared to be in good condition and was comfortable but was dirty inside and out, smudged and dirty glass all round, the dashboard covered in dust and the floor was in desperate need of a vacuum.

The driver was friendly and drove well, he knew where he was going though admittedly he was using a GPS and the biggie was he rounded down the fare when we arrived so I rounded it back up and gave him a tip.

Not A Grade stuff but a big improvement over my experience last week, so credit where credits due.

It makes me wonder if my address was flagged due to my complain last Friday which by the way I haven't received an acknowledgement of.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #82
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we went to Sydney recently, staying at Lidcombe due to it's proximity of Olympic park where we needed to go. i called for a cab at 5.45pm on the 22nd of October and were asked if we were ready to go at that moment. yes we were, so we waited. around 6.30pm my wife called them again only to be told there wasn't a cab in the vicinity, so she cancelled and we drove our selves to the venue. about 8.15pm my wife got a text saying our cab was waiting for us to take us, lol. the parking fee was probably less than what the return fare would have been anyway.

if UBER can do an efficient job then there's really no need for regulation.
obviously, regulation breeds in-efficiency/customer dissatisfaction.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #83
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is a service that disrupts regulated industry. Say you buy a bus and decide to drive around and charge people for your service but don't comply with any of the regulations . Or maybe buy a fire truck and offer your services to the public via the app? How do you think that would go ?
Competition is great if everyone involved plays under the same rules.
No, no. The taxi industry wants everybody to play by their rules and if the government can't make big money off it then it will be banned. This is the country we live in. I can and will always get a chauffeur driven VHA/VHB car before a cab at night and they're always washed, detailed and fresh and driven by normal people. Can also always agree on a price to match or beat a taxi with them on the phone. They're not busy at night and always ready to pick you up! Find a few good drivers and keep their numbers.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #84
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Easy choice for me. I travel a fair bit around the country and use taxi services often.... up until recently.

Over the years I could literally count on two hands where I've caught a taxi that was clean inside/out, not making some serious mechanical sounds, needed no further input from me other than an address, and/or had a driver that was presentable and personable.

Normally there was something going on with either the cab or driver. As there were limited choices I'd just ignore whatever obvious problems there were, suck it up and forget until the next adventure.

Thought I'd give the Uber service a shot a while back and I've had one poor experience out of the 20+ times I've used it since. The poor experience was a driver who's car stank of smoke. The good part is you rate them and move on.

Irrespective on Uber or taxi's, I voted not with my wallet, but based on the service I've received. If the majority of taxi's provided a service like I've received from Uber experiences, I'd never have changed, or even thought to. My changing was nothing to do with the cost, just seeking what I'd consider to be a normal basic service.

The taxi industry has not been close to providing what Uber provides from a user's point of view. IMO.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #85
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The biggest LOL's is when you get into a cab and you tell them how to get there.....

I can fully understand why cabbies would be angry, but the industry needs a boot up the bum. But why oh why are cabbies needing to pay so much for licenses, thats where the anger should be. Someone has been milking that gravy train!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #86
gozzaxr6t

These cab drivers are ridiculous. Ive been in cabs so many times when the drivers I.D. dosent even match up to the guy driving. Or excellerating fast and hitting the brakes to trick the meter.
What about all the industry's these individuals kill, working around for cash when not driving a cab, undercutting anything and everything just to get any form of work. Proper aussies in some trades, are making the same money now as they were 10 years ago because of these individuals, but yet they think its fine to stop the cbd for a protest because theyre losing work. Poor things

Most of these indian drivers I chat to or other individuals I have contact with through work only here for short periods, say 10 years, and send their money back home, whilst in australia live close to poverty and contribute very little to our economy.

And im supposed to feel sorry for them. Pppffft. Uber all the way.
gozzaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #87
66 coupe
around the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzaxr6t View Post
excellerating fast and hitting the brakes to trick the meter.
That doesnt trick anything - its just the way they drive

Quote:
Most of these indian drivers I chat to or other individuals I have contact with through work only here for short periods, say 10 years, and send their money back home, whilst in australia live close to poverty and contribute very little to our economy.

And im supposed to feel sorry for them. Pppffft. Uber all the way.
And where do you think the UBER money goes!!?!?!?!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #88
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

UBER is here to stay. Get use to it.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #89
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Or excellerating fast and hitting the brakes to trick the meter.
How does that work?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #90
gozzaxr6t

Cant exactly remember to be honest. But sudden accelaration followed by braking tricks it into giving incorrect readings, obviously in theyre favour. Its a trick they use in cbd type areas. An elderly gentleman once told me that was a retired cabbie. Dont know what the financial benefit would be, very little im assuming, but its definately annoying being the passenger.
gozzaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post