Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RE: Mondeo Spare Wheel / Space Saver

Hi All,

As I now have a Titanium TDCi and have replaced my Zetec EcoBoost there is one thing that I wish I could have back, additional load space (height)...

The Titanium uses a "Full Size" temporary wheel, where the Zetec had a "Space Saver".

As such, the increase height (10cm) impacts on the potential of placing larger suitcase in (which I do quite a lot).

I am not doing any long distance travel, as such I am not concerned about the space saver as a spare.

A couple of guys have done the opposite and replaced the space saver with a full size spare; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...er+spare+wheel and here; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...eo+spare+wheel

Can anyone with a non Titanium model confirm that the boot mat / carpet just sits on the body frame and on top of the space saver wheel. Or does it still have a foam inlay that is sits on? I just can't remember!
The Titanium has a two piece foam inlay that increases the height and the boot mat sits on top of it and the full size wheel.

The full size spare in my car is a Michelin Primacy HP.

I have been looking at space savers and they all seem to be Maxxis or Hankook. Is that the norm?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Mondeo Spare Wheel / Space Saver

I can answer the latter question in as much as the factory space savers were typically equipped with Maxxis tyres although the Falcon based ones were mostly Goodyear even when the rest were Dunlop!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Hi All,

As I now have a Titanium TDCi and have replaced my Zetec EcoBoost there is one thing that I wish I could have back, additional load space (height)...

The Titanium uses a "Full Size" temporary wheel, where the Zetec had a "Space Saver".

As such, the increase height (10cm) impacts on the potential of placing larger suitcase in (which I do quite a lot).

I am not doing any long distance travel, as such I am not concerned about the space saver as a spare.

A couple of guys have done the opposite and replaced the space saver with a full size spare; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...er+spare+wheel and here; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...eo+spare+wheel

Can anyone with a non Titanium model confirm that the boot mat / carpet just sits on the body frame and on top of the space saver wheel. Or does it still have a foam inlay that is sits on? I just can't remember!
The Titanium has a two piece foam inlay that increases the height and the boot mat sits on top of it and the full size wheel.

The full size spare in my car is a Michelin Primacy HP.

I have been looking at space savers and they all seem to be Maxxis or Hankook. Is that the norm?
I have a Zetec Ecoboost and the mat sits on the frame without the foam inlay.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

The catalogue lists different carpet for mini spare wheel or full size spare steel wheel, so I guess there must be some sort of difference that is on top of colour and if sedan, 4 door wagon or 5 door hatch and year of manufacture. All up there is about 5 different combinations of boot carpet for MA to MC Mondeo!1
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I have a Zetec with space saver the carpet has that 2mm?!? melamine panels for strength. It sits on the steel raw bodywork/bed and space saver itself.

I went to get the fuel funnel recently and had to remove the tyre to get access to the foam tool holder. That sucked cause I thought it was upside down and sitting in the wheel.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
The catalogue lists different carpet for mini spare wheel or full size spare steel wheel, so I guess there must be some sort of difference that is on top of colour and if sedan, 4 door wagon or 5 door hatch and year of manufacture. All up there is about 5 different combinations of boot carpet for MA to MC Mondeo!1
I have just discovered this!
I purchased a brand new Continental Space Saver (from a 2014 Mondeo), however once installed I realised two things;
1) The screw down handle is now too high, so will need to find the correct part number at Ford so the carpet will fit flush.
2) The carpet is (as mentioned) now incorrect and does not sit rights. I think if I recall my Zetec had a foam strip running under the front edge of the carpet as it meets the seat back. My seat back is now exposed as the carpet does not fit flush.

Also, I now need to find somewhere to place the Antenna that sits in a groove / slot in the Titanium foam. As without this foam, I will now need to find another location for it...
Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
I purchased a brand new Continental Space Saver (from a 2014 Mondeo), however once installed I realised two things;
1) The screw down handle is now too high, so will need to find the correct part number at Ford so the carpet will fit flush.
2) The carpet is (as mentioned) now incorrect and does not sit rights. I think if I recall my Zetec had a foam strip running under the front edge of the carpet as it meets the seat back. My seat back is now exposed as the carpet does not fit flush.

Also, I now need to find somewhere to place the Antenna that sits in a groove / slot in the Titanium foam. As without this foam, I will now need to find another location for it...
Sedan or Hatch correct part number for mini spare wheel screw down handle is 7G92 1448 AB or for a wagon with mini spare it is 7G92 1448 BB. The screw down for a full size steel wheel which is what you have is 7G92 1448 DB...

I can advise correct part number for carpet if you tell me all details about your car..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 AM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the supplier of the Space Saver Tyre also gave me the screw down handle; 7G92-1448-BB. Which now seems to be that it was supplied from a LX Mondeo Wagon. Hence why this Screw Down Handle is too high and mine (7G92-1448-DB) is too high also!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 AM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Sedan or Hatch correct part number for mini spare wheel screw down handle is 7G92 1448 AB or for a wagon with mini spare it is 7G92 1448 BB. The screw down for a full size steel wheel which is what you have is 7G92 1448 DB...

I can advise correct part number for carpet if you tell me all details about your car..
PM Sent!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm very pleased to have a full size spare and it doesn't raise the floor that much. But my wagon has 16" wheels, so maybe the Titanium wheel is deeper.

All NZ new MA - MC Mondeos have a full size spare.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ok, so I now have the correct screw down handle; Part No. 7G92-1448-AB for Space Saver wheels.
I also have the foam piece that runs along the back of the seat backs; Part No. 7S71-A11168-AE which now also holds the Antenna and the wire loom.
I just need to source the carpet for the hatch area;
Part No. 7S71-A13065AH-3ZHE. I have been to a couple of wreckers however they all look to "USED" and the glue is separating from both side of the centre panel. The search continues!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I no longer need the Space Saver spare wheel / tie down / or the foam trim piece to suit. Happy to sell for $80 (pick up or plus delivery) to someone on the forum. Drop me a PM, if not I will chuck on eBay later in the week!