Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Best Selling Cars 2017 and VFACTS Dec 2017.

Australia's best selling car isn't a car at all.
The Toyota HiLux ute has retained its position atop the podium of new car sales in Australia in 2017, as the local market recorded a new sales high with 1,189,116 vehicles being sold throughout the year according to data provided by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries.
With sales totaling 47,093, the HiLux has a commanding lead over the next most popular vehicle the Ford Ranger ute which totaled 42,728 registrations in 2017.
Both vehicles experience strong growth, with sales up by almost 20 per cent compared to 2016. This also helped the light commercial segment expand by 8.6 per cent from the previous year.
Mitsubishi's Triton ute helped bookend the 2017 sales chart for the light commercial segment, with a total 23,605 units finding a new home this year.

The Toyota HiLux is the highest selling vehicle in Australia for 2017. Photo: Supplied
However, the highest selling car segment in Australia is still small passenger cars, which had total sale of 220,149. This was in large part thanks to the Toyota Corolla (37,353), Mazda3 (32,690) and the Hyundai i30 (28,780). Though, even these three cars – which occupy positions third, fourth and fifth on the sales chart – were not enough to stop the rot in passenger car which recorded a 7.5 per cent drop in sales during 2017.
The cause of this drop is due to the rampaging sales of mid-size SUVs - and to a lesser extent city SUVs - which experienced growth of 13.6 per cent in 2017. The strong result was helped by the usual players; the Mazda CX-5 (25,831) and Hyundai Tucson (23,828). Both cars grew their registrations by 5.2 and 18.4 per cent compared to last year.
Several other SUV models featured just outside the top 10 sellers list, with the Toyota RAV4 and Nissan X-Trail both selling well. While the Mitsubishi ASX and Mazda CX-3 dominated the city SUV segment.

The fall of the Australian automotive manufacturing industry was represented in the continual decline in sales of two former Australian family car bulwarks; the Holden Commodore (23,676) and Toyota Camry (23,620). Both vehicles experience a sales decline of about 10 per cent and with both cars no longer being produced locally, neither is likely to feature on this list in 2018.
However, the last month of 2017 provided a bright spot for Holden with three vehicles making it into the top 10 sellers for the month. The biggest surprise was the Holden Astra setting a blistering end to 2017 with 3533 sales, good enough for second place in December. The Holden Commodore (2229) and Colorado (3222) also sold well.
Other prominent sellers in December were the Toyota HiLux (3949), Ford Ranger (3458) and the Mazda3 (2807), which rounded out the top five for the final month of the year. In a surprising result the Hyundai i30, usually a stalwart of the top 10, dropped off in December with only 1467 unit moved.
Best selling cars of 2017
1. Toyota HiLux – 47,093
2. Ford Ranger – 42,728
3. Toyota Corolla – 37,353
4. Mazda3 – 32,690
5. Hyundai i30 – 28,780
6. Mazda CX-5 – 25,831
7. Hyundai Tucson – 23,828
8. Holden Commodore – 23,676
9. Toyota Camry – 23,620
10. Mitsubishi Triton – 23,605
Best selling brands in 2017
1. Toyota – 216,566
2. Mazda – 116,349
3. Hyundai – 97,013
4. Holden – 90,306
5. Mitsubishi – 80,654
6. Ford – 78,161
7. Volkswagen – 58,004
8. Nissan – 56,594
9. Kia – 54,737
10. Subaru – 52,511
Source: Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries
Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Best Selling Cars 2017 and VFACTS Dec 2017.

It's a moot point now, but could Ford have built Ranger here...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

^ Not for the same profit as they make from having them built in Thailand.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
^ Not for the same profit as they make from having them built in Thailand.
But a profit nonetheless...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

How far down the list will Holden fall without the Aussie content.
Next years final sales figures will be interesting.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Colorada and Astra were pretty much all demo’s.

GM is still GM, watch them fold in this country within 10 years.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Some great numbers for Holden last month.

I do wonder though how legit they are though. Granted, they were running 7 year warranty as an incentive and that would have certainly helped. But I get the feeling this is GM doing what GM always do.

Factory now shut, what better way to convey to the public that its ok to buy a Holden buy posting really great sales numbers as a confidence booster. Look for plenty of "demo" Colorado's and Astra's in the next few months.

On the Ford side, the lack of Territory and the slowing demand for the Mustang is starting to make an impact.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
It's a moot point now, but could Ford have built Ranger here...
They ran the numbers and they didn’t add up. They tried all sorts of scenarios but the limited factory capacity killed it. 100,000 cars a year just can’t compete with asian mega factories pumping out 250,000 a year. And those factories have cheap electricity, no oh&s, not much enviro compliance and no bull**** government red tape. And slave wages.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As car companies simplify their product & make different countries models off a few platforms, cars will become all about technology & turbocharging. It will be interesting to see how long big capacity motors will continue to be built. Car companies will eventually be called to account if they continue to build big capacity motors as more states in the USA take measures to deal with pollution. Interesting times ahead as the population increases & cities struggle to cope with the numbers.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Colorada and Astra were pretty much all demo’s.

GM is still GM, watch them fold in this country within 10 years.
I think they will outlast Ford! if you took the Ranger out of the equation and to a lesser extent the Mustang Ford, wouldn't be in the top 50.

Surely FoMoCo of Aus. are aware of how bad their cars are selling, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo sales are terrible yet they do nothing about them.

These cars are underdeveloped, Under Marketed and Overpriced and of course Ford dealerships have just as bad a reputation.

Once other manufactures catch up to Ranger in developement, which will happen cause Ford don't think far enough ahead to keep them up to date enough the entire FoMoCO of Australia will implode into oblivion.

Even the Ford supporters are leaving in droves, I can remember when there were over 10 pages of posts in this forum on the monthly VFact sales of the Falcon and Commodore but now your lucky to even find a single post.

How times have changed but i don't think for the better
Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whales. you will get censored for making comments like that. I did.. Not allowed to criticize Ford or make an honest opinion....

Last edited by csv8; 05-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They ran the numbers and they didn’t add up. They tried all sorts of scenarios but the limited factory capacity killed it. 100,000 cars a year just can’t compete with asian mega factories pumping out 250,000 a year. And those factories have cheap electricity, no oh&s, not much enviro compliance and no bull**** government red tape. And slave wages.
Slave wages? Only if you compare it to people in AU.
It is more than just the wage, the cost of living needs to be looked at too. Thailand may have a lower cost of living and therefore don't need to pay outrageous wages to unskilled/basic employees.

Looking at the chart below, the average worker in manufacturing in Thailand is earning an alright salary compared to the rest.
https://tradingeconomics.com/thailan...-manufacturing

According to the below article they're earning alright, and like anyone still want more.
Conditions aren't that bad.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...4defcce8135da5
Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Mustang scored 451 sales for a total of 9,165 for 2017 backing up last years 6,208.
I could be wrong but something tells me that we're Mustang's biggest RHD market..

The big question for Holden comes in January and February - did we just see a giant pull ahead of sales.
If sales stay strong in Q1 then yes, Holden is transitioning buyers but if this was a stunt, the truth will out.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post
I think they will outlast Ford! if you took the Ranger out of the equation and to a lesser extent the Mustang Ford, wouldn't be in the top 50.

Surely FoMoCo of Aus. are aware of how bad their cars are selling, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo sales are terrible yet they do nothing about them.

These cars are underdeveloped, Under Marketed and Overpriced and of course Ford dealerships have just as bad a reputation.

Once other manufactures catch up to Ranger in developement, which will happen cause Ford don't think far enough ahead to keep them up to date enough the entire FoMoCO of Australia will implode into oblivion.

Even the Ford supporters are leaving in droves, I can remember when there were over 10 pages of posts in this forum on the monthly VFact sales of the Falcon and Commodore but now your lucky to even find a single post.

Mondeo was second in mid size under 60k behind camry. Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder how much all those zero km demonstrators cost Holden and the government...
I've heard of buying a win but that's ridiculous....
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I wonder how much all those zero km demonstrators cost Holden and the government...
I think people are barking up the wrong tree here. Why would they only choose 2 models to go & "stock up on demos" of? At my local dealer the only new demos they have are an Equinox, and an updated Trax. The rest are Nov or earlier rego.

For those in the know, GMH did an internal marketing push in November & December, offering great deals on new cars to staff, suppliers, and "friends" - with the catch being the cars had to be rego'd in December.

Some savings were small (eg on a small car) but there was something like $7K off an up-spec 4WD Colorado, and the Astra had some decent $$ too. Both those vehicles appeal to private buyers in their respective categories.
A good mate of mine saved several thousand over the best he could negotiate on a new SUV, and through work contacts, I now know of 3 more people who bought new Holdens in December through the program.

All car companies have a sales push here & there, and this one was quite successful for Holden. Ford were doing the same for years with their suppliers too - some extremely good deals could be had on FG2 XR6s when the FG-X was released.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SUVs have officially taken over!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Mondeo was second in mid size under 60k behind camry. Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story though.
And what were mondeo's numbers.

Without ranger ford is junk in oz.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #19
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
whales. you will get censored for making comments like that. I did.. Not allowed to criticize Ford or make an honest opinion....
There is also no need to take cheap swipes at moderators and admin.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Perhaps we should censor you for using a seppo spell checker?

But I think that you're referring to T&C 8.....

8. Continual posts containing negative comments about the Ford Motor Company, Ford related product or the AFF community. This does not mean that you can't raise a legitimate issue or make the occasional negative comment but consistent bashing won't be tolerated.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
Doreturnonfoot

Gm only just now catching up after the lack of rnd spending when gfc hit with revised trailblazer, Colorado and new Equinox. I reckon the next generation of these cars will be the ones to watch.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Equinox looks disappointing, saw a base in the flesh and it looks 5 years old. Also missing some tech like adaptive cruise.

Most car makers should take a lead out if Mazda’s book they know how to design and build a car that has huge appeal. Took a new CX5 for a spin and can see why they are popular
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #23
jgmdat

Quote:

WOW hope your year gets better.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Not true, they are 4th in segment down to 138 from 211 in December and 3rd overall for 2017 behind Mazda

http://performancedrive.com.au/austr...est-year-0422/
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #25
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Toyota is also an “expert” @ this caper as well.Cheers
Old 06-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Toyota is also an “expert” @ this caper as well.Cheers

If Mondeo sales include the wagon version its numbers are very disappointing.
So Ford have a marketing/sales issue or supply issue?

Mondeo sales 138 December-a joke.
Focus sales 454 December Lancer 700+ Focus 10th in segment.Pathetic.
Fiesta 100 odd not the best car in segment by a long way-interior, powershift trans mission, motor less kw-torque than last model.
Escape-way back in its segment quite a good jigger bit heavy on fuel but should sell much better than its numbers.
Everest-priced high so lower sales numbers dont matter high profit per unit.
Mustang-sales tapering off.
Ranger -the only light on in Fords sales office.

Ford should sack its marketing manager change its advertising agency,
Focus/Mondeo/escape should do much better. Honestly the Lancer outselling Focus-what a joke!

Ford are losing their way. When Benz and Hyundai add double cab utes Ranger will suffer.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #27
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
If Mondeo sales include the wagon version its numbers are very disappointing.
So Ford have a marketing/sales issue or supply issue?

Mondeo sales 138 December-a joke.
Focus sales 454 December Lancer 700+ Focus 10th in segment.Pathetic.
Fiesta 100 odd not the best car in segment by a long way-interior, powershift trans mission, motor less kw-torque than last model.
Escape-way back in its segment quite a good jigger bit heavy on fuel but should sell much better than its numbers.
Everest-priced high so lower sales numbers dont matter high profit per unit.
Mustang-sales tapering off.
Ranger -the only light on in Fords sales office.

Ford should sack its marketing manager change its advertising agency,
Focus/Mondeo/escape should do much better. Honestly the Lancer outselling Focus-what a joke!

Ford are losing their way. When Benz and Hyundai add double cab utes Ranger will suffer.
What has your quote got to do with my quote re:Toyota? Really odd.Cheers
Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #28
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Nothing new. They did it back in 1981 to pip the Falcon with a monster December. GM never change.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Nothing new. They did it back in 1981 to pip the Falcon with a monster December. GM never change.
Good way to artificially inflate sales figures.Toyota are a master @ it.Cheers
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So now the big question will be what happens to sales figures in January and February.
If I'm right GM has basically pulled forward all those buyers with its December campaign.

Mustang sales are tapering off yes but still impressive considering that most buyers are
aware that the '17 Car is now superseded by a much improved unit arriving later this year.

Ranger still sold a credible 3400 odd in December with most buyers again aware of a new
model arriving later this year.

Given Ford's 2017 results in the US, they could care less about car sales now,
everything is now truck and SUV sales taking 77% of all sales there.

It's clear that Ford Aus is not concerned with low sales of cars and SUVs, they only
care about profit per vehicle sold, ROI is the commercial couch potato's best friend,
just order what vehicles people want from other plants, deliver, job done.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-01-2018 at 01:14 PM.
5 users like this post: