Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default ****Tyres**** who runs what

Hi all you Mondy enthusiasts. It is always an interesting thread to find out who runs what tyre and why. It is often a useful reference for others that are considering buying tyres for their cars but unsure what to get.
Different people have different criteria so if you could include the following it would be helpful.
1/make type and size of tyre
2/Price you paid and where from
3/What mileage you are getting from them or if they are still on the car how many k's done and how much tyre left (estimate).
4/What your criteria are for tyre eg wet weather cornering and braking performance or possibly mileage and of course your driving style.
5/Last but certainly not least your personal opinion of that tyre.
Be respectful as there will be others that have opinions that differ from your own here (always seems to happen).

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
nevetsg

Default Re: ****Tyres**** who runs what

Front = Goodyear excellence 235/45r17 (97w) maybe 50% worn
Rear = Dunlop sp sport max tt 235/45zr17 (97y) maybe 15% worn

Why? They were on the car when we bought it. :-P

The rears looked almost new when we got the car so I though about switching them. After reading some reviews I decided to leave them be as they are a faster wearing 'sportier' tire that I want to last as long as possible.

I have not managed to lose traction yet other then a slight screech on spirited acceleration. But then again I have not been trying. Also, even after 2 months, I have not had to opportunity to drive it in the wet. So can't say what they are like.
That is all I have to offer.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
whitetdci

I think that the goodyear excellence may have been the OEM .
I have a set on mine that same size as nevetsg with probably around 30% left. They seem to be OK but tend to tram track a little which is a little annoying in a front wheel drive. Not the quietest tyre I have had but an acceptable tyre. Again it has been pretty dry so can't comment too much about wet grip and braking. My next tyre I will probably put on a Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra as I have had a great run with them. I have Hankook Ventus evo12 on another car and have been under awed by them. They certainly did not live up to what was said about them on the tirerack site. I would like to do a wet braking comparison between the old excellence and the Maxxis. Although not really a fair comparison of an old harder worn out tyre and a new softer one, it would still be good to see how they both stack up.
Old 29-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Having just bought four tyres last week, I thought I may join in on this one.

I needed to replace what I believe are the originals, a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's after 55, 000 kms. These still had some tread to spare, maybe another 5 - 10 k, but decided to spend my tax return on a new set. The Potenzas were great. Gave plenty of confidence in the wet, and performed well thru the corners (when I was allowed).

New tyres are Bridgestone Turanza ER300 235/45/r17. I am hoping that my decision to go for more of a Touring tyre will be a good one, but only time will tell. Recently got them for $195 a unit, and Bridgestone is throwing in a $100 Coles Voucher via redemption.
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Mondy XR5 and have run the folowing:

Continental SC2 (OEM)
Pirelli P Zero
Bridgestone Potenza RE001
Vredstein Ssanta (225/40)
Yokohama Advan V103 Sport
Michelin PS3

I would rate the Michelin & Yohohama as the best (hard to split them really), then Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone and Vredstein in decreasing order for performance.

I have not yet been able to get more than 20k out of a set of tyres. Although i do occasionally track my car, i wouldn't consider the driving i do to be anything more than normal everyday driving.

as for price, can't tell you exactly as it's a lease car and i just leave it with Bob Jane's with worn tyres and they give it back shod, ready to go... i don't think i've paid under $300/corner yet though...

All my choices have been based on road holding performance rather than longevity or price.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
hotdiesel
Starter Motor

In March this year I replaced my original tyres after 41,000 kms. My only issue with them was the tramlining effect on certain road surfaces.

The replacements were Goodyear 235/40R18 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 95Y XL's that were purchased from a local Goodyear Franchise.
Price paid was $1010 for 4. There was a 4 for the price of 3 deal at the time.
They still look very new now even after around 9000 kms.
I wanted a tyre that was one of the latest & best that I thought was a reasonable price.
I was persuaded by a then current article of performance tests undertaken by a group of motoring journalists. They analysed both wet & dry performance as well as cornering.

My driving style is not aggressive except when I flatten the accelerator to overtake. (ie) From around 90 to 110 kph to 130-140 kph to minimise time in the righthand lane before returning to the speed limit.

Lets say that my choice of tyre has been vindicated as it has behaved perfectly in the wet & likewise at high speed cruising for 1000 km country trips on a variety of surfaces. And no tramlining at all.
Old 30-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, have heard good things about those goodyears.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 30-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Had the Bridgestone RE050A's OEM and they were a great tyre but only lasted 33K. Changed them over for Michelin PS3's @ $240 each and found them to be equally as good with fantastic wet weather performance but again, only got about 35K out of them. Now on Bridgestone S001's (@ $280 each but bought them under a buy 4 get one free deal) and so far have found them very smooth but need to do a bit more wet weather driving. All of these are 235/45 R17. Hard to split the 3 purely from a performance perspective but the PS3's for the price win the value war. I've always rated wet weather performance as a key indicator.

I've been surprised with the rate of tyre wear on the Mondeo as the car is not driven hard. Might be a combination of FWD, relatively heavy/large car and my tyre choices but my XR6T got 55K out of a set of Michelin's with a lower treadwear rating than the PS3's.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

MB XR5 - 235/40x18, tyre pressures well maintained, genlt to engertic driving, accelerate smartly, 99% bitumen
OEM Continental ContactSport2 - afraid of the wet (aka deadly), good grip in the dry, tramlined badly, 32K kms, replacement cost around $400 each
Yokohama C-Drive - now have confidence in wet and dry, no tramlining (no wheel alignment after new tyres, just the new tyres fitted and problem solved), used these before on another vehicle and not disappointed, 10K kms on these and around 75% left, replacement cost $280 each

I found it was interesting that the rears wore almost as fast as the front (no rotations), unusual in a FWD car in my experience (in a 'no rotation' maintenance practice).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe i chuckle every time i see someone say "only" when mentioning km's of 30k and above longevity... i haven't been able to get more than 20k out of a set and that's with 5k rotations! :P

Old 31-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
hehe i chuckle every time i see someone say "only" when mentioning km's of 30k and above longevity... i haven't been able to get more than 20k out of a set and that's with 5k rotations! :P
It's all relative really - 20K with the odd track day vs 55K+ with owners doing mostly highway. My experience compared to my other vehicle doing the same driving is that the Mondeo chews tyres at a rate higher than I expected even with them rotated.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
whitetdci

mondo, you must give it a bit of stick lol. I used to get around 15k when I drove a 2 speed car (stop and flat out). Now I am a far more responsible and safer driver on the road I get over 30k out of my tyres, but I do run pretty sticky rubber still. It is after all your best insurance policy and your first line of defence. I am not saying that you are unsafe or irresponsible, just that I was when a lot younger. Thought I had better clarify that. I know there would be a lot of people alive today with their families if they had spent a bit more on their tyres and looked after them.
I would like to get some of the goodyears that Hotdiesel has on but they are maybe a bit too expensive. Great tyre non the less.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Still have OEM's on the car.

They're Goodyear EfficientGrip 215/50R17 95W's.

Just getting up to 20K's & they look like they still have heaps of tread on them.

Can't complain about their performance either in the dry or wet, seem to work really well in either. I don't drive that hard these days however being an ex motorbike rider who liked going around tight twisty bends in a hurry I still find the urge to do that & this car/tyre combo works nicely for me for that.

I enjoy the solid direct feeling of this vehicle over my old AU Fairmont by a long way. Wet weather driving is far superior also.

If they continue like this I'll most likely replace them with same.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
whitetdci

Looks like we may have a bit of wet weather so I may get to see what the old OEM goodyears feel like in the wet. They will need changing soon I should imagine.
Old 19-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Caggs
Starter Motor

Just changed the Goodyear EfficientGrip's that were OEM on my MC Zetec TDCi Wagon. They were great when new and up to 25k but then started playing up - tramlining and getting quite noisey. Yesterday i swapped them for Yokohama C Drives - oh what a difference they make. The car feels so much lighter, there is no tyre noise and no tramlining. I got 43k out of the Goodyears, but probably should have swapped them around 30k, but at around $1k plus wheel alignment, I tried to hang on as long as possible. I hope the C Drives last.
Caggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Rosarc
Starter Motor

Hi all, this is my first post. I had new GT Radial Champiro HPY on my MA TDCI when I bought it and couldn't fault them for braking, handling and ride. I was dissapointed at having to change them at 30,000km but that seems to be a norm for the mondeo. New tyres are Goodyear Optilife's. I've been through some seriouly wet weather with them and have had to do a wildy evasion dodge on the freeway and have been impressed so far. The ride may be a little bit softer and not a precise as the Champiro's but I might be splitting hairs.
Rosarc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Caggs - good to hear you are happy with the Yokies. As above, I found the same dramatic change simply with different rubber bands between me and the road. And the steering was soooo much lighter as you also found. I was told told they should last a lot longer than the alternate S-Drive which is more Sports oriented aka sticker rubber (Treadwear rate).

I had them on my old '89 Prelude 4WS (spirited driving - 'just exercising it') after they no longer produced the Yokie A539 pattern. Very impressed there, and again here on my XR5.

No complaints from me so far after 18K kms.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
b2428

Just wacked four toyo teo plus tyres on my MA TDCI. Only had them on long enough for a dry trip to Sydney. Fixed my MASSIVE tramlining issues, car felt a lot lighter on its feet, much quieter, rode better despite having 40 PSI all round and finally gripped like there was no tomorrow. All this and were only $159 for 235/45/17's
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
borntoshop666

hey all,
havent been on here for a while, so I'm just catching up n all the new threads on here.
I have just put on new tyres yesterday.
They are 235/40/18 95W Kumho KU22X4
from tempe Tyres in Sydney, paid $150 each totalling $640 including Wheel Alignment.
Not much to say about them so far, only done 220k's since yesterday, but they seem very quiet and extremely responsive to Steering Imputs.
My favourite Corner, at Lapstone Hill Great Western Hwy is signposted at 70kmh, I tested it out doing 40% more [] and the Car seems to stick to the road like Glue.
NB: I do not endorse Speeding, but Save Speeding in the right Conditions!

This Set replaced a Set of Kuhmo KU27, same Money], fantastic Tyres. ODO read 132276 [Apr 2012] and they lasted 59000 km. Not bad for the Money. I get them rotated every Service.

As I am approaching 200000km in my Mondeo, I might startanother Threat outlining my Experience with the Car and the good and bad things.
cheers
Old 19-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #20
nevetsg

Hate to be a tire guy working yesterday in 45deg temperatures...
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Just thought I would provide an update on my tyres. The Bridgestone Turanza ER300's have now 5k on them and I had the wonderful experience of driving from the mid north coast to Sydney during last weekend. At times visibility was poor, driving at some stages at less then 70kmh in 110 zones. These tyres did remarkably well, and caused very little concern. The occasional steering wheel pull, but front wheel drives and large puddles, you are gonna get that.

They have also solved my tramlining issues.
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: ****Tyres**** who runs what

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnzy View Post
Just thought I would provide an update on my tyres. The Bridgestone Turanza ER300's have now 5k on them and I had the wonderful experience of driving from the mid north coast to Sydney during last weekend. At times visibility was poor, driving at some stages at less then 70kmh in 110 zones. These tyres did remarkably well, and caused very little concern. The occasional steering wheel pull, but front wheel drives and large puddles, you are gonna get that.

They have also solved my tramlining issues.
Had an MX5 and when it came time to replace the Turanza s the Potenza s were sig less exy.....strange that, don't know if that is still the situation.?.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'm looking at getting new tyres, got very similar quotes for two different Kumhos, the KH17 and the KU28.

I've been able to find a bit of info on the KH17s but not much on the KU28s, anyone know which the better tyre to go for would actually be?

These are on a Zetec hatch so 215/50 R17.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Never mind, just booked in for the KU28s @ $170/tyre. Going on Friday, to replace the OEM Goodyears.

Hopefully they'll be quieter, and less tramliney (is that even a word?) than the OEMs. The OEMs have done approx 45,000 kms (I bought the car with only 6,000 on the clock so assuming they are the OEMs!).

Will give you a write up once they're on and stuff.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

So just an update (sorry about three posts in a row in this thread)

The KU28s that are on are freaking amazing. Even my mate the other night stated straight away how much quieter they are than what was on there. Have had no tramlining since putting them on, she seems to just hold straight very nicely. Hopefully these will get me through to the 100,000km mark!
Quote:
Old 19-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Greane01

2011 Mondeo Zetec with 30,000km, and the front tyres have had it. Rears have quite a bit left funnily enough....yep, probably should've had them rotated a while back!

Anyway, some prices for the relatively uncommon size 215/50 R17:

Costco:
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - $291 each (with a $50 discount if you fit four)
Bridgestone RE002 - $253 each (same discount as above)

KMart:
Goodyear EfficiencyGrip (Mondeo OEM tyres) - $225

I've gone for Continentals, which I have been able to get from Jax for a really good price.

Last edited by Greane01; 19-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
whitetdci

it is amazing how much difference in price you can find in a common sized tyre as opposed to a similar sized but rarer tyre.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
ralfaford
Starter Motor

On my XR5 I'm running Continertal Sport Contact 3, have been for 35,000kms and they are still above the tread wear indicators. Never had an issue, rarely hit traction control, even when doing trips to the snow. I have been known to ride the clutch to restrict slipping of the tyres, so the pain moves elsewhere
ralfaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
whitetdci

just put some Goodyear F1 Directional 5's on. Couldn't get the asymmetric 2's in my size. I have them on my other car and they are sensational in the wet especially. The directional 5's are still a good bit of rubber . only have around 1k on them at this stage but they have much better manners and turn in than the previous Hankooks
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
JimStone

Symmetrical/Directional Yokohama Adrive R1 235/40R18 - very happy so far (2,000 klm city- hwy- 'scenic' roads in damp- wet- & dry conditions 16-32 degrees ambient temp), minor tramlining on really nasty roads, soft sidewalls make it a touch floaty and slightly less pointy in the dry, but improvement in wet weather grip is well worth the trade off.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: