Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #61
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: Best Selling Cars 2017 and VFACTS Dec 2017.

Must have been driving with your eyes closed then. Living in outback NSW, every second car is a Ranger.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #62
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I have recently returned traveling +5000km’s in Outback Queensland, NSW and South Australia and saw zero Everest and zero Ranger. Mostly Toyota Landcruisers, Prado’s, Nissan Patrols and Mitsubishi utes. Everest with its 80ltr fuel tank is next to useless touring the bush.
I also recently did a 5000km journey, Darwin to Newcastle via Adelaide and Melbourne. Down through the guts I saw an absolute ton of Rangers. The top end is definitely 70 series country but there are still Rangers everywhere. I lived up there for the past couple of years.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #63
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Must have been driving with your eyes closed then. Living in outback NSW, every second car is a Ranger.
At the end of the day though,the Hilux is always going to go for more on the second hand market.If(& a big if) I would buy a Hilux on that alone,come to sell the thing,& guaranteed it will sell quicker than a Ranger.Just plain fact.They are pretty well sought after.Cheers
Old 09-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #64
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
At the end of the day though,the Hilux is always going to go for more on the second hand market.If(& a big if) I would buy a Hilux on that alone,come to sell the thing,& guaranteed it will sell quicker than a Ranger.Just plain fact.They are pretty well sought after.Cheers
That is not the experience with the 3 Rangers I have had.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #65
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
That is not the experience with the 3 Rangers I have had.
To be fair though,there is nothing between them,just buyers perception of the brand.Even though they are pretty lineball in sales,Ranger is never going to “trounce” Hilux in the market place.Ford really need to get their act together & bring in the Ecoboost range of engines,something Toyota cannot match.Cheers
Old 10-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
To be fair though,there is nothing between them,just buyers perception of the brand.Even though they are pretty lineball in sales,Ranger is never going to “trounce” Hilux in the market place.Ford really need to get their act together & bring in the Ecoboost range of engines,something Toyota cannot match.Cheers
The only reason Toyota sell more is because they move a lot of cheap 4x2 workmate models to fleets. And area Ford doesn't play much in. Ford sell more 4x4's and high end XLT and Wildtrak models.

In terms of private sales it's no contest. Ranger is more popular. Toyota sell more fleet hacks.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #67
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The only reason Toyota sell more is because they move a lot of cheap 4x2 workmate models to fleets. And area Ford doesn't play much in. Ford sell more 4x4's and high end XLT and Wildtrak models.

In terms of private sales it's no contest. Ranger is more popular. Toyota sell more fleet hacks.
Indeed,they have always sold more 4x4’s,but perhaps Ford should get more active in the fleet market.But you have to take the whole market into context.You cannot rely on private sales only.(& nor should you.)Toyota have alway’s played the market to their advantage.Very,very smart operators.You can thank three very astute men who helped Toyota get to where they are today:Bob Johnston(force behind Toyota’s success)John Conomos(worked the mediato Toyota’s favour) Bob Miller.(who helped bring Toyota to sustained market leadership.)Cheers

Last edited by hackney; 10-01-2018 at 06:13 PM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #68
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The December Graphical Stats have been uploaded now. The rest will follow later.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Not true.
Whilst the Hilux may sell 2.3 work 'hacks' to every Ranger 4x2 sold, it would appear that the Hilux also sold more 4x4's in December, albeit by only 9 units.

Toyota Hilux sells more because buyers preferred BOTH formats in december.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #70
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I have recently returned traveling +5000km’s in Outback Queensland, NSW and South Australia and saw zero Everest and zero Ranger. Mostly Toyota Landcruisers, Prado’s, Nissan Patrols and Mitsubishi utes. Everest with its 80ltr fuel tank is next to useless touring the bush.
I'm living in Central West Queensland. I do see the tourists come through in Rangers, but locals? Only see one.
I have seen one Everest in nine months out here.

I reckon I've seen more imported Silverados and Rams than some cars that actually sell in Australia. The cashed up grey nomads love them for towing massive caravans.

Outback tourers with fully kitted out 4wds? Landcruisers, Patrols and Hiluxes.

Locals? There's a smattering of Navaras, BT50s, Dmax and Tritons, but it's nearly all Landcruiser/Prado and Hiluxes. There's a few Patrols and Pajeros around too.

That said, my boss does have an older Ranger, but I get the feeling he's a Ford man.

With all that said, the only dealership within 500km is a Toyota dealership. That might contribute.

Honestly, if I was in the market to buy a new 4wd, it would be a Landcruiser. Huge range of configurations, huge range of accessories, standard with massive fuel capacity, and if I was also including looks, the 70 series looks great. (And it's such a pity the 4runner isn't available in Australia, because I reckon they look the business too)
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Should see a drop in Hilux sales over the next few months as buyers await the new range of 2018 models.

Considering Mustang and Ranger sales have apparently dipped in anticipation of the new models...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #72
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The 2017 Annual Summary is now uploaded.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #73
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

.. and the 2017 Segment Summary is also uploaded now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #74
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not true.
Whilst the Hilux may sell 2.3 work 'hacks' to every Ranger 4x2 sold, it would appear that the Hilux also sold more 4x4's in December, albeit by only 9 units.

Toyota Hilux sells more because buyers preferred BOTH formats in december.
One month doesn't make a trend, especially December when dealers throw cash at models to move them before they become a year old.

Ranger 4X4 outsold Hilux 4x4 in 2017 and lead just about all year. Looks like Toyota threw the kitchen sink at Hilux 4X4 to try to steal the crown in December but it wasn't enough.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #75
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...d6f670effb62ec

Someone stuffed up!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
That's cause they believed they would be challenging the Corolla and Mazda 3, cause they always believe they will sell so many more Holden's than what people will buy, and they bought in way too many of them. It's got to sink in eventually that the Holden badge means stuff all now surely?

Good old GM though, it's all about numbers and stuff any profit. It's what lead them to bankruptcy.

I saw one report that said they were cutting the price so hard the dealers wouldn't make any profit if they threw in a set of mats
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #77
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
What a basket case of a brand - they’ll never learn.

Idiots
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #78
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One month doesn't make a trend, especially December when dealers throw cash at models to move them before they become a year old.

Ranger 4X4 outsold Hilux 4x4 in 2017 and lead just about all year. Looks like Toyota threw the kitchen sink at Hilux 4X4 to try to steal the crown in December but it wasn't enough.
Yes,but overall (and that is what you have to look at,not ONE specific variant)Toyota still did it comfortably by 500 unit’s.You cannot pick out one model & say we beat them,because the truth of the matter is they didn’t.(fact) figures do not lie.Cheers
Old 13-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #79
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
.. and the 2017 Segment Summary is also uploaded now.

Cheers
Russ
Hi Russ, thanks for posting, however, the figures are missing for the "SUV small" segment. You have listed the percentages twice, by mistake.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #80
roKWiz
Cabover nut

We have a few big car dealers here in Wangaratta. Never seen so many Mustangs and Rangers sitting on a dealers forecourt as I have at Wangaratta lately. I wonder how they are going to sell all of them and with so much supply, are these cars going to drive (sic) down the second hand price ?
I don't see to many Hilux's sitting in yards up here. I note farmers are steering back towards landcruiser's

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #81
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

While Hyundai are still battling cheap fleet sales and trying to make more money for each sale, once you add KIA in they are basically the second best selling motor company in the country. I imagine KIA pulls many more private buyers? They also do this with no ute at all...

Nissan/Renault numbers in another five years time, may also legitimately be able to include Mitsubishi. Lets see if they stuff it up or manage to maintain sales here while sharing platforms.

Anyone able to tell me Mahindra sales for the year and model break downs? Cheers.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post