Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What's with the Traffic Lights on Freeway On-Ramps?

Not sure if this is Vic or NSW or both - watching dashcam videos on YouTube I notice one or both states has fast-cycling traffic lights on some freeway on-ramps. Think it is one car is meant to go through per cycle.

What is the deal with that? Is that to try to manage congestion? Is it to try to help people merge better - as in the bottle-neck is moved back from the actual merge point, so by the time cars that are let through get to the merge they are up to freeway speed (rather than have bottleneck of cars stopped on the ramp at the actual merge point, where they are trying to merge from a standstill with traffic that is doing highway speeds)?

Does it work? From the videos I've seen it doesn't look like many people pay attention to them (but then I appreciate thousands do and dashcams just shows those that don't).

I probably don't understand the need due to living in Adelaide, where you guys reckon our peak hour is when both cars are on the road at the same time.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: What's with the Traffic Lights on Freeway On-Ramps?

Its to manage congestion on the freeways in peak times, they try slow down the cars getting onto the freeway merges. It does **** all really, build better infrastructure and stop incentivising people to always use their cars rather than slapping on bandaid solutions.

Basically you only stop at it if there's police nearby, as they don't have cameras
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, it's meant to break up the stream of vehicles trying to enter the freeway. Some areas of Melbourne have 3 lanes at an on ramp ..and over time some just ignore it....if there is one area a red light camera should be installed it's here...it is a good place to legally do a 0-100kmph...with due safety of course.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/traf...p-signals-faqs
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

You are all wrong!

It's so that you can practice doing a standing start launch from 0-100, they even give you Christmas tree lights and all.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your vehicles would never get treated that way.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
your vehicles would never get treated that way.
No, of course not..............................................: peepwall

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 09:24 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
What is the deal with that? Is that to try to manage congestion? Is it to try to help people merge better - as in the bottle-neck is moved back from the actual merge point, so by the time cars that are let through get to the merge they are up to freeway speed (rather than have bottleneck of cars stopped on the ramp at the actual merge point, where they are trying to merge from a standstill with traffic that is doing highway speeds)?
I've found that the highlighted part is an SA only habit caused by cars on the freeeway speeding up with the other SA habit of "he's not getting in front of me".
Old 12-08-2022, 09:42 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I've found that the highlighted part is an SA only habit caused by cars on the freeeway speeding up with the other SA habit of "he's not getting in front of me".
I thought that was just because my car had VIC plates on it but I guess they try do it to each other too.

The trick is to drive ****boxes and not care about your own car, they quickly get the idea
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 09:47 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I thought that was just because my car had VIC plates on it but I guess they try do it to each other too.

The trick is to drive ****boxes and not care about your own car, they quickly get the idea
I found that nothing seems to scare them. I lost count of how many times I'd check the freeway traffic when starting onto the ramp, picking a reasonable gap for a B-double. only to find that ole mate had charged up and closed it when I tried to merge.

Last edited by GasoLane; 14-08-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Spellun mistook
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 10:22 PM   #10
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah that is definitely a thing...the closing the gap thing. The bottle-neck ****s me when a car stops when they actually have a long merging lane in front of them, but they are too busy looking over their right shoulder to know they are already in a clear lane in front of them.

Plus I also think that, if there is no Turn Left With Care sign, then everyone assumes that means Turn Left Giving No ****s
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2022, 11:08 PM   #11
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Some areas of Melbourne have 3 lanes at an on ramp ..and over time some just ignore it....
I noticed on my last visit in some places there were 4 lanes into 1. One of the outbound Calder ramps and one on the Westgate inbound somewhere around Docklands.

Even trippier was alternating lights for at merge point from 2 entry points. Like 2 or 3 lanes off the Bolte Bridge (I think it was) onto the Westgate would go green and as you passed a merge point for 2 lanes on your left they would go green and creep in behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Does it work? From the videos I've seen it doesn't look like many people pay attention to them
As I noticed my last trip to Melbourne alot of people ignored them. But in alot of ways they had become do accustomed to the timings it would look like they were running them, but they weren't.

When they were simpler back in the day most people would crawl to the light and do a running drag. So the line would be a slow crawl and go, rather than start stop.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 11:52 PM   #12
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I noticed on my last visit in some places there were 4 lanes into 1. One of the outbound Calder ramps and one on the Westgate inbound somewhere around Docklands.

Even trippier was alternating lights for at merge point from 2 entry points. Like 2 or 3 lanes off the Bolte Bridge (I think it was) onto the Westgate would go green and as you passed a merge point for 2 lanes on your left they would go green and creep in behind you.

As I noticed my last trip to Melbourne alot of people ignored them. But in alot of ways they had become do accustomed to the timings it would look like they were running them, but they weren't.

When they were simpler back in the day most people would crawl to the light and do a running drag. So the line would be a slow crawl and go, rather than start stop.

as soon as you stop for the light ...... it turns green .. then you go to move ....... turns red

and that is why most people ignore the lights ..... plus 3 lanes merging into one, then merging onto freeway
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

None of them have a water box, either!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
You are all wrong!

It's so that you can practice doing a standing start launch from 0-100, they even give you Christmas tree lights and all.
Yep, for years I used one every morning on the way to work... Was the highlight of my commute, especially because I had my FG XR6T... T/C off, over to sport mode and let it eat.... Similar to when the Gateway Bridge still had toll booths to stop at... Good times...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #15
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I found that nothing seems to scare them. I lost count of how many times I'd check the freeway traffic when starting onto the ramp, picking a reasonable gap for a B-double only, to find that ole mate had charged up and closed it when I tried to merge.
Trucks a sitting duck they know there'll be a gap in front so they just keep doing it ....really frustrating i'd love to have an old farm truck (quick accelerating ) with a piece of railway iron on the front to do a bit of "Retraining"

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I found that nothing seems to scare them. I lost count of how many times I'd check the freeway traffic when starting onto the ramp, picking a reasonable gap for a B-double. only to find that ole mate had charged up and closed it when I tried to merge.
Happened to me on the end of the southern expressway thing, they tried to cut me off but it appears they cared more about their new SUV than I did about my clapped out Focus so they very quickly reconsidered

That joint seems indicators and roundabout rules are optional, when you see someone with SA plates on Melbourne roads, give them a wide berth because I don't think they realise what they're in for

Though that Britannia Roundabout thing is hectic, its copped a flogging on Google Reviews:

https://www.google.com/search?client...673ce8d4b97b,1,,,
Old 14-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Happened to me on the end of the southern expressway thing, they tried to cut me off but it appears they cared more about their new SUV than I did about my clapped out Focus so they very quickly reconsidered

That joint seems indicators and roundabout rules are optional, when you see someone with SA plates on Melbourne roads, give them a wide berth because I don't think they realise what they're in for

Though that Britannia Roundabout thing is hectic, its copped a flogging on Google Reviews:

https://www.google.com/search?client...673ce8d4b97b,1,,,
I followed a link from your post which has a CGI animation of driving through the 2 roundabouts...and while sitting on the roof of a blue car, approaching the 2nd round about and slowing down at a never to be repeated in real world manner, even at that driving height I couldn't spot a car coming from my right because of the trees in the way...what morons grow trees in a roundabout where maximum visibility is key to planning your after-burner launch run through.
https://youtu.be/tfUMbaS0ApM
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post