Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #31
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus ST and Fiesta ST axed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm trying to push him in that direction, looks like a good buy at the $60K mark, comes in manual while still being good on fuel.

Suzuki Swift Sport six speed manual.
The last manual with a bit of performance at a reasonable price.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #32
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rip
Focus and fiesta -you will be remembered fondly.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Suzuki Swift Sport six speed manual.
The last manual with a bit of performance at a reasonable price.
Nah that thing is a nugget for what you pay for it it's $32K DA and 103KW/230nm, it's a massive step backwards from a Fiesta ST.

If it was low 20s DA then it would be a good cheap daily proposition.

WZ Fiesta ST cost $33,500 DA with mountune options package, Suzuki Swift Sport is a joke at $32K DA, it's not even a warm hatch.

Realistically the Fiesta ST is hands down the best hot hatch on the market by far and now it's gone, Ford Europe are absolute magicians at their craft.

We're also looking at another daily for Mum to replace her aging WS Fiesta and literally the only option there is the Kia Picanto GT.

Sub $30K
Manual
Turbo

Brings up three cars:

Mahindra Pikup (lol)
VW Polo (Absolutely not)
Kia Picanto GT

So Kia Picanto GT it is for her, everyone else left that segment so now Kia has that market completely cornered

If you don't want an SUV or an auto car then really it's forcing you into the hands of Kia.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-08-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #34
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah that thing is a nugget for what you pay for it it's $32K DA and 103KW/230nm, it's a massive step backwards from a Fiesta ST.

WZ Fiesta ST cost $33,500 DA with mountune options package, Suzuki Swift Sport is a joke at $32K DA, it's not even a warm hatch.

Realistically the Fiesta ST is hands down the best hot hatch on the market by far and now it's gone, Ford Europe are absolute magicians at their craft.

We're also looking at another daily for Mum to replace her aging WS Fiesta and literally the only option there is the Kia Picanto GT.

Sub $30K
Manual
Turbo

Brings up three cars:

Mahindra Pikup (lol)
VW Polo (Absolutely not)
Kia Picanto GT

So Kia Picanto GT it is for her, everyone else left that segment so now Kia has that market completely cornered

If you don't want an SUV or an auto car then really it's forcing you into the hands of Kia.

Yes you are correct.
even that 1 litre Polo with five speed manual ---dealers are selling at plus 30k.

Kia Picanto GT is interesting ...... but gee its a prime victim for tailgaters.

Meanwhile on a different note BYD are shipping 4000 electric cars to Aus mostly presold.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Sub $30K
Manual
Turbo

Brings up three cars:

Mahindra Pikup (lol)
VW Polo (Absolutely not)
Kia Picanto GT

Has your father looked into the Hyundai i30 N-Line? Turbo engine and available with a manual.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:56 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Has your father looked into the Hyundai i30 N-Line? Turbo engine and available with a manual.
He's looking into moving up a size into i30N or Mustang Ecoboost at this stage.

I think Mustang Ecoboost is the 'value' proposition there, its only a couple thousand bucks more expensive than the i30N, its RWD and got more horses under the hood.

i20N is off the list because less power/torque than what he already has and he doesn't want to go backwards

It seems no one really wants to offer anything to those customers who don't want SUVs or Thailand Specials but want something with a bit of pep, its like they're trying to force your hand and fit you into a mold.

Another thing he doesn't want is something with that lane guidance bull**** or AEB but unfortunately I don't think he's going to have a choice, hopefully it can be turned off.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-08-2022 at 06:04 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2022, 06:53 PM   #37
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
He's looking into moving up a size into i30N or Mustang Ecoboost at this stage.

I think Mustang Ecoboost is the 'value' proposition there, its only a couple thousand bucks more expensive than the i30N, its RWD and got more horses under the hood.

i20N is off the list because less power/torque than what he already has and he doesn't want to go backwards

It seems no one really wants to offer anything to those customers who don't want SUVs or Thailand Specials but want something with a bit of pep, its like they're trying to force your hand and fit you into a mold.

Another thing he doesn't want is something with that lane guidance bull**** or AEB but unfortunately I don't think he's going to have a choice, hopefully it can be turned off.
Unless it's already built and in the country, the hard part will be getting a Mustang.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #38
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to sit on the floor in the Mustang tricky and tiresome getting in and out also wider than most cars
Old 08-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
Ok good stuff

Also saw the Golf sales numbers and they were really low - would GTi and R be similarly constrained in availability

Franco, you know you want a Corolla Blade...
Guy a few houses away from mine has one. Couldn't figure out what it was at first. I could see it was maybe a Corolla, but it has different badges on it that aren't your typical Toyota. Has something like 2GZZE or something on the numberplates. Which must be the engine code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
au 2000 how much longer will the Puma be available ???
Considering half of FoE's profits are coming from Puma, and they have announced a BEV version will be coming in the next few years, i'd say it's no problem for future availability.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #40
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well this sucks - the old man was looking at a new Fiesta ST or Focus ST to replace his WZ Fiesta ST.

We were going to look at the i20N and i30N but they weren't competitively priced with the better Ford options.

So we'll be looking at Hyundai again I guess, also waiting on details of 2023 Civic Type R.

With these now gone there's nothing really on the market that's a good value buy under $60K - Ecoboost Mustang is about it and it just scrapes in at $58K DA in manual.
You still can snag a Focus ST, just not many out there, call around or DM me.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #41
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love my Fiesta and Laser- yes that is how small a Laser is!

Old 08-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Looks so good in white too
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #43
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Hi team,

I wanted to give you some context to the announcement we made today that the Focus ST, ST X and Fiesta ST will depart the local line-up by the end of the year, as we focus on areas of growing customer demand such as SUVs, commercial vehicles and electrification.
Both the Focus ST and Fiesta ST have been segment-defining hot hatches for us and have put smiles on the faces of enthusiasts across the country. But with semi-conductor-related supply shortages and our focus on emerging areas of growth, we’ve made the difficult decision to call time on these vehicles.
When it comes to orders and supply of these vehicles:
- For Fiesta ST, we continue to work with the Cologne Assembly Plant to secure production for the balance of the year and fulfil existing customer orders, with very limited availability likely for new customers later in the year.
- For Focus ST X, there are a small number of contracted customers whose vehicles will not be built – our team is calling these impacted customers today to arrange compensation for their cancelled order.
- For Focus ST, we’ve been able to secure supply of around 40 uncontracted vehicles, so fans will have the opportunity to secure one of the last units before they leave the line-up.
Importantly, as you know, our line-up continues to offer great options for performance enthusiasts – from the Mustang to the Next-Generation Ranger Raptor – and we’ll have more exciting news to share on that front soon.
We understand this is be a tough message for many of you who love these vehicles, but hopefully this context explains our decision.

Thanks for all you do for Ford every day.

AB

Andrew Birkic
President & CEO
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #44
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as there is a plan to supply a Ford Performance product under $40k I'll be happy, cannot afford a Mustang or Raptor, so, let us know what the plan is Ford..
Old 08-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Guy a few houses away from mine has one. Couldn't figure out what it was at first. I could see it was maybe a Corolla, but it has different badges on it that aren't your typical Toyota. Has something like 2GZZE or something on the numberplates. Which must be the engine code?

Considering half of FoE's profits are coming from Puma, and they have announced a BEV version will be coming in the next few years, i'd say it's no problem for future availability.
They've got a 2GR-FE, which is just the Aurion engine, they're reasonably cheap seems to be sub $20K landed and complied ex Japan at the moment.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I wouldn't call it 'great options' when you now when the performance car lineup only consists of a dual cab ute at 6 figures and a coupe, they literally killed 50% of 'Ford Performance' in Australia.

I guess even more if you include the Focus RS that got iced.

Feels like 1950s Ford when they had no performance options and werent involved in motorsport, which then spawned the 1960s where they started taking it seriously.

The old man scored a PXIII Ranger loan car when he had his car in at the dealership for a service and he complained that it was 'slow and **** to drive', there are actually customers who want something other than SUVs or Thailand Specials

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-08-2022 at 02:45 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #47
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

if the federal government pull their finger out and if we move quickly to euro6 emissions, then perhaps we can bring the UK performance cars such as they are, straight here without having to deal with their old euro5 cast offs. maybe.

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/puma-st
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
if the federal government pull their finger out and if we move quickly to euro6 emissions, then perhaps we can bring the UK performance cars such as they are, straight here without having to deal with their old euro5 cast offs. maybe.

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/puma-st
So its basically a Fiesta ST except worse because it weighs more and is taller

Government is looking to bring the fuel standards review closer than 2027 so there may be movement on that front.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
They've got a 2GR-FE, which is just the Aurion engine, they're reasonably cheap seems to be sub $20K landed and complied ex Japan at the moment.
Yep that's it. He must be a big JDM guy, cause i've seen a horn FD RX-7 and a GR Yaris at his place previously.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 04:34 PM   #50
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

Back when ford wasn’t reliant on one car in the lineup lineup and was competitive in muktiple segments
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 04:49 PM   #51
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:

Is it just me, but my eyes went straight to the laser….
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #52
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As long as there is a plan to supply a Ford Performance product under $40k I'll be happy, cannot afford a Mustang or Raptor, so, let us know what the plan is Ford..
I agree....they might as well spill all the beans...it's not like you have current excess stock to sell so there are no sales to hurt apart from maybe your competitor.

And frankly any complaints about the fear of forewarning the opposition doesn't cut it when your own loyal brand fans don't see anything blue oval badged on the horizon and won't wait.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #53
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John Cadogan's Youtube video sums up sentiment precisely. Australian's have gone from bogans driving V8 Commodores and Falcons to emasculated boys getting excited over 35" tyres and lift kits on their Hilux's and Rangers. What a sorry state, fortunately there are still manufacturers who cater to the high performance V8 luxury executive performance sedan buyer.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #54
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Think he also hit it on the head with the whole beyond 2029 all ford products to use a Dearborn based ev platform including any future variation of ranger, the deniers now aren’t those mourning the loss of falcon, focus, fiesta etc, it’s the loss of ice to a ev future..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Getting any product out of Ford Europe is almost impossible these days,
I don’t see sourcing BEVs as being any easier when they want so many.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
John Cadogan's Youtube video sums up sentiment precisely.
I'm surprised that people actually watch his stuff.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #57
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm surprised that people actually watch his stuff.
It’s the green lovies that are typically upset with Cadogans videos.

I’m looking forward to test drive the upcoming 2023 F150. Long live the ICE.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #58
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
It’s the green lovies that are typically upset with Cadogans videos.

I’m looking forward to test drive the upcoming 2023 F150. Long live the ICE.
I'm about as far from a green anything as you can get, but I don't get upset by him as I used to work with a lot of egotistical mouthy 'experts' so I tend to ignore them now.

Last edited by GasoLane; 10-08-2022 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #59
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Looks so good in white too
Yes - I love my white Fiesta ST!!!

Couple of shots of it sitting in sunset sheen-fitting as off it goes into sunset..........

Quote:
Quote:

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #60
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yes - I love my white Fiesta ST!!!

Couple of shots of it sitting in sunset sheen-fitting as off it goes into sunset..........
Gorgeous !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post