Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
ben131185

Default Rear view mirror removal/re-attatchment

My rear view mirror is losely mounted to the wind screen, wasnt mounted properly a few years back when I had a windscreen replaced.

It rattles and vibrates over bumps etc.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove and re-fit properly?

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your going to have to reglue it back on to the windscreen, dont just pull it off, if you do it will crack the windscreen, i think they are just glued on by memory,

just get some fishing line and put it behind it and cut it with the line off clean it up and just reglue it back on

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
whiskers
gone fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185
My rear view mirror is losely mounted to the wind screen, wasnt mounted properly a few years back when I had a windscreen replaced.

It rattles and vibrates over bumps etc.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove and re-fit properly?
Just take it to a windscreen place and ask them nicely if they could do it for you, I had the same problem took it to them and 2 minutes later I was driving away. They come loose at the screen because of too much adjusting especially when it was first attached after your windscreen got replaced

cheers
Old 28-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
T3man
Banned

There are two parts - the metal base which is glued to the screen and the mirror mount which slides over the base. The mount has a metal spring clip arrangement in it and is probably where your problem lies. Pull the mirror off and try to reshape the metal clip in whatever direction is needed so as to apply more pressure when it is replaced.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
ben131185

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
There are two parts - the metal base which is glued to the screen and the mirror mount which slides over the base. The mount has a metal spring clip arrangement in it and is probably where your problem lies. Pull the mirror off and try to reshape the metal clip in whatever direction is needed so as to apply more pressure when it is replaced.
How do you pull the mirror off without breaking anything?
Had a bit of a go but it wasnt coming off and I didnt want to pull it too hard and damage it.
Old 28-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you pull it off it will probaly break the glass, if its glued, just get some fishin line and feen it through the glue to cut it off

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185
How do you pull the mirror off without breaking anything?
Had a bit of a go but it wasnt coming off and I didnt want to pull it too hard and damage it.
You can release the pressure of the metal retainer with something like a small screwdriver - I just get them off by hand by sliding upward toward the roof. Beleive me you are not strong enough to break the windscreen.

Get your head up under the fixture and you will see how it comes off.
Old 29-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
ben131185

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
You can release the pressure of the metal retainer with something like a small screwdriver - I just get them off by hand by sliding upward toward the roof. Beleive me you are not strong enough to break the windscreen.

Get your head up under the fixture and you will see how it comes off.
Ok, I got it off this arvo. Just slid it upwards, had to push it pretty hard.

The metal base thats on the windscreen is solid as a rock.
So the problem is either where it mounts on to the base, or where the metal clip on the mirror joins to the actual mirror its a bit loose which i think might be causeing it or maybe its a bit of both.

Maybe I should just get a new mirror to clip on to the windscreen?
Old 29-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

The metal clip is riveted to the mirror base - get a helper to hold the base on a piece of softwood (like pine) while you try a hammer and pin punch to tighten the rivet. Bit risky but at worst you are still up for a new mirror whichever way you go. And if it works you're laffin'.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The S1 mirrors are held to the bracket by a small allen key bolt. A far more sensible setup than the spring clip T3man has described. IIRC this setup is leftover from the E series. For S2, they switched setups - cheaper I guess?

I had the same problem on my S2 SR and ended up getting another mirror from the wreckers, as it was nigh on impossible to get the spring reshaped.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
ben131185

Where's the best place to pick up a new mirror? Does it have to be a ford mirror to fit the base or are they universal?
Old 28-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Neryllee
Starter Motor

Talking Re: Rear view mirror removal/re-attatchment

I just removed mine easily on my 2001 ford falcon xr8 au ll with the spring clip. On YouTube look up how to remove a rear vision mirror on a ford falcon au ll by John Wilson. He has a specific tool to do the job and I made my own out of wood reinforced with blue tape once it fit. Came off super easy in seconds with the tool after struggling with a screw driver etc for longer than I care to say.
Neryllee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Rear view mirror removal/re-attatchment

For future reference for anybody who get here like the way I did.

All new OEM replacement mirrors for AU to FG come with T20 screw head; may require tightening if it rattles.
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: