Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-07-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Door Removal

I am stripping a couple of AU's, and when it came to removing the doors, just wanted to add a couple of notes to the Workshop Manual 17-3-3, for any future newb's like myself, as I couldn't seem to find comments elsewhere on the forum;

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2017-3.html

If you want to take the doors off easily using the hinge quick release black plastic circlips, first make sure your garage is wide enough to fully open the front doors :(

The hinge quick release black plastic circlips have a tab you can grip with a pair of plyers/etc to pull out. Be careful with it though, as you can damage this tab.
And you can spin the circlip around with say a screw driver, but because of the tab, you can only go one direction. There seems to be a slot on the outside of the hinge to assist with that.
After the clip is removed, I used a large flat screw driver end, to gently lever the top and bottom hinge up enough so it was loose enough for me to lift the door off.
With the back doors you can get to this circlip from the front/middle pillar.
With the front doors you can remove the guard/fender first too.

With the wiring harness, after removing the white plastic clip into the body, I expected that to also be the junction plug like an FG?
However the junction plug is further down the wire inside the body. You have to maneuver it to get it out before unclipping. May need something like a screw driver to get it aligned..
After unclipping maybe tie a bit of strong around the body end of the junction plug to prevent losing it inside the body.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Door Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I am stripping a couple of AU's, and when it came to removing the doors, just wanted to add a couple of notes to the Workshop Manual 17-3-3, for any future newb's like myself, as I couldn't seem to find comments elsewhere on the forum;

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2017-3.html

If you want to take the doors off easily using the hinge quick release black plastic circlips, first make sure your garage is wide enough to fully open the front doors :(

The hinge quick release black plastic circlips have a tab you can grip with a pair of plyers/etc to pull out. Be careful with it though, as you can damage this tab.
And you can spin the circlip around with say a screw driver, but because of the tab, you can only go one direction. There seems to be a slot on the outside of the hinge to assist with that.
After the clip is removed, I used a large flat screw driver end, to gently lever the top and bottom hinge up enough so it was loose enough for me to lift the door off.
With the back doors you can get to this circlip from the front/middle pillar.
With the front doors you can remove the guard/fender first too.

With the wiring harness, after removing the white plastic clip into the body, I expected that to also be the junction plug like an FG?
However the junction plug is further down the wire inside the body. You have to maneuver it to get it out before unclipping. May need something like a screw driver to get it aligned..
After unclipping maybe tie a bit of strong around the body end of the junction plug to prevent losing it inside the body.
car stripping - remove guards .... remove what you want [glass, wiring etc] & then to remove doors, 1st undone hinge strap, close door, undo bottom door bolts [if keeping hinges, body side. if not .... door side]. forgotten what the AU door looms were like re attachment. rear doors - remove what you want & then as fronts.... 1st undone hinge strap, close door, undo bottom door bolts [if keeping hinges, body side. if not .... door side]

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Thumbs up Re: Door Removal

Just in case you thought I'd missed those steps, I wasn't ignoring them. Just wanted to add a few comments around issues I had, that weren't in the workshop manual.

Also, with the heavier front doors. I had a jack underneath to support the door. Also used it to help lever the door hings off the pins.
And for the jack I happened to have one of those atv lifters which worked well. I had bought it for the auto transmission, which is tomorrow's job.

Last edited by asimplelife; 19-07-2022 at 08:24 PM.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Door Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
Just in case you thought I'd missed those steps, I wasn't ignoring them. Just wanted to add a few comments around issues I had, that weren't in the workshop manual.

Also, with the heavier front doors. I had a jack underneath to support the door. Also used it to help lever the door hings off the pins.
And for the jack I happened to have one of those atv lifters which worked well. I had bought it for the auto transmission, which is tomorrow's job.

nah didn't think that. i have tried the jack under the door when replacing her BF front drivers . . . . ... that was fun.. not. would have been easier to remove the front guard & refit the door straight onto the body, then bolt hinges on.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post