Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
Minerva
Starter Motor

Default Changing front sway bar mount bushings without dropping subframe? (MK1 LR Focus)

So my sway bar bushings are worn and the sway bar is making a fair bit of noise, I'm planning on replacing the sway bar links and mount bushings.

I noticed in the Haynes manual it states you need to drop the front sub frame to be able to remove the sway bar mount bushings. I had a look at the location of the bushings and I can just reach in there, but getting them out is a whole different story.

Has anyone managed to change them without dropping the sub frame?

Cheers
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Changing front sway bar mount bushings without dropping subframe? (MK1 LR Focus)

Have a read of Section 204-01 of the LR Focus WSM in our technical resources section.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 04:06 AM   #3
Focmachine

Thumbs up Re: Changing front sway bar mount bushings without dropping subframe? (MK1 LR Focus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Have a read of Section 204-01 of the LR Focus WSM in our technical resources section.
I haven’t thanked you yet for posting the LR manual. It’s been handy. It goes a little hard on pulling off more parts than necessary like pulling the intake manifold to get to the starter bolts😂 and it unfortunately omits somes specs but it is very handy instead of only using the diabolical haynes manual. Thanks again!
Focmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 04:06 AM   #4
Focmachine

Thumbs up Re: Changing front sway bar mount bushings without dropping subframe? (MK1 LR Focus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I haven’t thanked you yet for posting the LR manual. It’s been handy. It goes a little hard on pulling off more parts than necessary like pulling the intake manifold to get to the starter bolts😂 and it unfortunately omits somes specs but it is very handy instead of only using the diabolical haynes manual. Thanks again!
Old 24-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Focmachine

Default Re: Changing front sway bar mount bushings without dropping subframe? (MK1 LR Focus)

Hey Minerva, I can see how you want to go in from the side, I think it would be a nightmare and very difficult getting the bushes in and out if not impractical with the ridge in the middle of the bushes. You’ll want to drop the sub frame. Mark its location on the body with a paint pen before loosening the bolts if you dont have the locator pin for reinstallation. It’s a good opportunity to renew your suspension if needed and inspect the top of the subframe/clean the p/s rack. The manual referenced above is useful and the haynes manual has the torque specs. Id go for energy suspension bushes from rockauto usa. Using 2003 dohc 2.0 zetec for the parts selection. Your chasing the 21 mm energy suspension ones but there are ac delcos there. Don’t be concerned that they are cheap to buy to buy (USA is super competitive in pricing for parts) You can get harder ones from burton power in the UK. But you’re looking at maybe five times the cost shipped vs Rockauto. Be carful buying other Left hand drive parts if it is aircond compressor or ac pulley related as well. Otherwise matching part nunbers is safe and motorcraft parts are really inexpensive and available.
Im doing a H+R 24 mm bar soon and plan to plug up the ps rack with silicone plugs and install my sway bushes/bar with it on a flat surface and leave my ps rack on the subframe. My car is ok for rust so I’ll just clean the ps rack and sub-frame and maybe hit areas with cold gal paint if needed. I can post a vid to tiktok if you want to see how I’m disassembled and do it with the car on jackstands. Only going through focus threads now so sorry if my info is late.