Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #91
mondeomatureguy

Default Re: What determines "End of life" with cars?

Hi guy's
Well my MC Ford Mondeo which was brought new in 2011 and just clicked over 418,000ks.
It passed rego on 21st of august with a new set of tyres. I have replaced Belts, a few Pulleys, Hoses, New water Pump and Power Steering Pump, and have gone thru two Battery's.

A mate of mine told me "when it gets to 500,000ks take a picture of it and the Ks on it and send it to Ford".

Cars of the 1970,1980, and 1990s it was rust that killed most cars.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #92
bb_zetec

I think also parts availability and electronics has something to do with it.

Yes as others have said rust was the killer on the older cars, mechanically there were simple without too many electro-doo-dads that can go bad and kill it.

A mate had an old 80's Jackaroo that went well over 350,000Klms but couldnt get any more parts for it so it got junked.

Once it becomes unreliable to a point that also signals its death, look how many EF/EL/BA's got send to the wrecker due to failing electronics.

Mechanically they could probably keep going for 100,000s of more K's, but the end user gets so frustrated they get rid of it.

Modern cars will die due to electrical faults. Mind you the electrics of today are much better quality than the 80s stuff, but there is so much more of it that it simply will become cost ineffective to fix.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #93
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
I think also parts availability and electronics has something to do with it.

Yes as others have said rust was the killer on the older cars, mechanically there were simple without too many electro-doo-dads that can go bad and kill it.

A mate had an old 80's Jackaroo that went well over 350,000Klms but couldnt get any more parts for it so it got junked.

Once it becomes unreliable to a point that also signals its death, look how many EF/EL/BA's got send to the wrecker due to failing electronics.

Mechanically they could probably keep going for 100,000s of more K's, but the end user gets so frustrated they get rid of it.

Modern cars will die due to electrical faults. Mind you the electrics of today are much better quality than the 80s stuff, but there is so much more of it that it simply will become cost ineffective to fix.
My thoughts too. Main reason why I didn't comment on the FG vs XD value thread.

Have a 92 Trader with well over 500 000Ks, hate to think how many millions are on the original 903 in the Kenworth.
The XF pano is floating around 350 000k's at the moment.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #94
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

AU’s are holding up pretty well ;)
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #95
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Small numbers of driveable cars remaining and lost access to owner expertise.

Last year we lost the forum that catered to our daily driver. Yes its archived, but ive lost the interaction and feedback that made fault diagnosis and part finding easier.

Parts are still available for now. But its not practical to maintain a low volume seller indefinitely without access to other owners for discussion and fault finding. I have an understanding mechanic who has been great with discussing options at various times.

(Such as the time he suggested i move it on at 175ks, and i didnt....)

Sooner or later, a critical part will life expire and replacement will be difficult or prohibitively expensive. Or the car might still run, but might be unsaleable or not to be trusted on longer journeys.

For now it soldiers on, but im acutely aware mechanical objects wear out.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2022, 05:55 AM   #96
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Small numbers of driveable cars remaining and lost access to owner expertise.

Last year we lost the forum that catered to our daily driver. Yes its archived, but ive lost the interaction and feedback that made fault diagnosis and part finding easier.

Parts are still available for now. But its not practical to maintain a low volume seller indefinitely without access to other owners for discussion and fault finding. I have an understanding mechanic who has been great with discussing options at various times.

(Such as the time he suggested i move it on at 175ks, and i didnt....)

Sooner or later, a critical part will life expire and replacement will be difficult or prohibitively expensive. Or the car might still run, but might be unsaleable or not to be trusted on longer journeys.

For now it soldiers on, but im acutely aware mechanical objects wear out.
I deal with this for one regularly driven French car. There’s probably a dozen in the country on full registration, maybe half that. Downtime when something is sourced from overseas can vary, so it’s not a good choice for an only car - but in a fleet, the joys are preserved. A Haynes helps with torque specs and wiring diagrams. What would really make life hard, is loss of online parts information. The Russian webcats like “ilcats” make all the difference.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #97
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
My thoughts too. Main reason why I didn't comment on the FG vs XD value thread.

Have a 92 Trader with well over 500 000Ks, hate to think how many millions are on the original 903 in the Kenworth.
The XF pano is floating around 350 000k's at the moment.
Didn't realize it, the pano is on 384 000k's. Yikes.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #98
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Didn't realize it, the pano is on 384 000k's. Yikes.
While since you last gave it a service??
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #99
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
While since you last gave it a service??
Tassie, must be. and bloody hard to read the odometer hidden behind the speedo needle half the time or I need glasses.