Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU III transmission slipping when cold only

Hi guys

The old mans AU III Falcon ute tranny is slipping.
It only slips when cold, from gear changes 2-3.
After the tranny warms up a little, there is no transmission slip. The tranny shifts pretty damn smooth after it's warmed up.

My main concern is that in the 300000km+ he's covered in the ute (bought new off the showroom floor), he has NEVER done a transmission service.

Would it be safe to do a service (drop pan, replace filter and refill with new oil)?
Or would it be best just to leave it until it dies? He has already resigned himself to a rebuild/replacement unit; I was hoping to spend a little cash in order to prolong the life of the tranny.

Any thought on the matter appreciated.

saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I would get a pro to do a trans service asap
Old 30-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I would get a pro to do a trans service asap
Yeah that would be ideal, but the old man doesn't wanna spend the cash!
For him, he is better off saving the cash from completing a tranny service, and putting that towards a rebuild when the time comes.

But it couldn't hurt the tranny if I did a service on it??? I've already done a service on my BFII falcon, and the tranny is better for it.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Servicing prolongs the life of components. Slap that man, But then again its people like him that keeps me in a job.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the tranny oil changed on my au3 for the first time at 170000k's. the mechanic (good friend) said that i should change it again every 5000k's for the next 10-15000k's. or get a 'powerflush' done at a proper transmission place.

the normal service was $100 or $120 for the filter/gasket/oil or the powerflush was about $180.. i went the powerflush option and i haven't had a problem since (18months and only 30,000k's)
Old 30-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
Yeah that would be ideal, but the old man doesn't wanna spend the cash!
For him, he is better off saving the cash from completing a tranny service, and putting that towards a rebuild when the time comes.

But it couldn't hurt the tranny if I did a service on it??? I've already done a service on my BFII falcon, and the tranny is better for it.
the way i look at it , driving it while its slipping it may well be damageing components that may not normally be needed to be replaced at rebuild time, unless he`s just gonna fork out a couple of thou?? to have a changeover box fitted then it does`nt matter, on the other hand it might only need some cheap components and a service and the bloody thing might go for another 200000 k`s for 4/5 hundred dollars, i`d be haveing a talk to an auto bloke pronto.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As a short term solution, top the fluid up at least - that should stop the slipping when cold.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
As a short term solution, top the fluid up at least - that should stop the slipping when cold.
Could this cause any harm? Old (as in 300000km) fluid mixed in with a bit of new fluid?
Old 31-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Servicing prolongs the life of components. Slap that man, But then again its people like him that keeps me in a job.
Haha!

Getting a 60 year old Italian man to change his mind is like turning water into wine! I've tried changing his mind, but he wont. Oh well, its his money I guess!

Also, seeing that you're in the trade, how long (on average) does the tranny last. Would 400000km or more be out of the question???

Last edited by saber; 31-12-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 31-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Getting 300k out of an AU unserviced box is almost impossible to start off with, to think that 400k is achievable will take a miracle.
Old 31-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Haha!

Getting a 60 year old Italian man to change his mind is like turning water into wine! I've tried changing his mind, but he wont. Oh well, its his money I guess!

Also, seeing that you're in the trade, how long (on average) does the tranny last. Would 400000km or more be out of the question???
LOL! my old man is greek...tried so hard to convince him to do a flush on his AU11 transmission at 60,000kms luckily he did it...1 year on its now clicked 66,000kms. Gear changes are very smooth thats for sure. Maybe just do the rebuild now??
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
LOL! my old man is greek...tried so hard to convince him to do a flush on his AU11 transmission at 60,000kms luckily he did it...1 year on its now clicked 66,000kms. Gear changes are very smooth thats for sure. Maybe just do the rebuild now??
I've advised him that a rebuid will be needed, and he realises this, but he wont bother until the tranny is dead and the car isn't moving.

I'm just dreading the call late one night:

" Mate, I'm on Springvale road, the car wont go anywhere for some reason....."
Old 31-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Mr Hardware

For reference in the taxis we used to get a usual high 300's out of a box
400 for a good one driven kindly and serviced every 40k
apparently the BA's with a cooler are seeing 530k out of a box, regularly.
Old 31-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Bobman
Regulator

Change the oil and filter of the transmission and see how you go.

Many AUII/AUIII cabs at my old work slipped first thing in the morning (it was an effort to move 1cm), but once warm they were fine.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Wink

Quote:
I've advised him that a rebuid will be needed, and he realises this, but he wont bother until the tranny is dead and the car isn't moving.

I'm just dreading the call late one night:

" Mate, I'm on Springvale road, the car wont go anywhere for some reason....."
Cant do much about their stubborness mate! Ahh well, at least you will look like the smarter one again for the 34,000th time ! Just as alwasy the case with our older folk.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
superyob
Banned

Is there an external band adjustment that can be made? Not sure if these adjustments are available on more recent transmissions.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Is there an external band adjustment that can be made? Not sure if these adjustments are available on more recent transmissions.
In this case, it doesn't need an adjustment, it simply needs a top up of fluid. I've had 7 9or is that 8 or 9 by now) AUs, and only one of them was manual. out of the autos, 3 had the symptoms described above, and in each case, a top up of the fluid recitifed the issue (the worst one wouldn't go into reverse, but would go forward!). Not one was rebuilt. A full flush (1st choice) or even just a service (2nd choice) would be the way to go, but as a short term measure, a fluid top up is all that is required.

To the OP - Put it this way, if you try the top up, and it doesn't fix the problem, it's only a minimal outlay and this then points to the box being on it's last legs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
66 coupe
around the place

300,000+k's on the clock what will wear has worn, and changing fluids not going to fix it, sure a top up if its low might help, but friction materials are only going to last so long, and you will find a high percentage of its on the bottom of the pan. just keep it going until it stops then look at swapping / reconditioning the gearbox then
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
nikolaospontus
Starter Motor

had simalur prob when cold changed oil and filter and know slips in second
nikolaospontus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU III transmission slipping when cold only

Boys, just a quick update.

I didn't change the oil and filter, as once again, the old mans see's it as a waste of money...

The tranny (from all reports) is on its last legs. How much would a rebuild cost?

Another thing, does anybody know of a decent shop that can do the rebuild on the Mornington Peninsula?
Old 13-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #21
Rfordsfun

Hi ppl, soz to jump in here, but I've been looking for days. My AU ( Fairmont Ghia ) has 290k on it and the trans hasn't been touched for the last 150k, lol I bought grandmas car.. I'm having the devil and angel debate on my shoulders as to power flush, or drop and cycle, with reg drops. symptoms atm. is bit of a thud in 1st to 2nd, but only in warmer weather, needless to say " old jed had struck oil " when i check the fluid condition.. I got a spare box with low k's. but any technical advice as to weather, doing the drop and cycle service with new filter and ATF would obviously mean reduced thud ? as also resetting the trans comp after wards. would prefer getting all the life outta my current trans, as a working trans is a terrible thing to waste.. I'm leaning towards self service and maybe tweak s5 1/12.
Is that clock wise? great forum, here and my 1st ford not to mention all the stuff ive already had to do, and the few things i have left. to get this beast back to a sensible motorist's mode of mobility. cheers. thanks in advance. this model had some factory defects as I'm learning. love fixing my own cars, since birth
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power flush it with a new filter, also add a magnet to the pan or clean it if t has one fitted. I wouldnt be touching the shift solenoid in a car with high km's, you may cause other problems like uni's failing or extension housing bush issues.

An after market external oil cooler will add life to an auto so I would be doing that too.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Mr Hardware

this thread makes me cringe
Old 13-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
For reference in the taxis we used to get a usual high 300's out of a box
400 for a good one driven kindly and serviced every 40k
apparently the BA's with a cooler are seeing 530k out of a box, regularly.
My old AU was a one owner taxi with an external cooler fitted, I owned it from 380-470k. Shes still going strong to this day on the original gearbox at about 480-490k, my estimate. Highest I've heard on an AU BTR.
300k without a service is a good innings. If anyone has had anything to do with BMWs, the ZF autos they use from the 1980s onwards are a 'sealed for life' unit (a crock of ***), which is probably why there are dozens of 15-20 year old BMWs around with buggered autos.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
Mr Hardware

I have heard of a mil out of an AU BTR. It was an early AU futura - it was a quasi-taxi, one-owner and it basically lived on the highway its whole life, doing runs from Bribie to Bris daily. More of a limo life than anything, and the whole car serviced every 10k at Metro Ford. Did the mil, original auto and original motor, unopened. I dare say the auto had probably had solenoids changed however.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
Rfordsfun

Smile Re: AU III transmission slipping when cold only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfordsfun
Hi ppl, soz to jump in here, but I've been looking for days. My AU ( Fairmont Ghia ) has 290k on it and the trans hasn't been touched for the last 150k, lol I bought grandmas car.. I'm having the devil and angel debate on my shoulders as to power flush, or drop and cycle, with reg drops. symptoms atm. is bit of a thud in 1st to 2nd, but only in warmer weather, needless to say " old jed had struck oil " when i check the fluid condition.. I got a spare box with low k's. but any technical advice as to weather, doing the drop and cycle service with new filter and ATF would obviously mean reduced thud ? as also resetting the trans comp after wards. would prefer getting all the life outta my current trans, as a working trans is a terrible thing to waste.. I'm leaning towards self service and maybe tweak s5 1/12.
Is that clock wise? great forum, here and my 1st ford not to mention all the stuff ive already had to do, and the few things i have left. to get this beast back to a sensible motorist's mode of mobility. cheers. thanks in advance. this model had some factory defects as I'm learning. love fixing my own cars, since birth
Did it myself with hand pump to replace fluid took in 5 litres, and glad to say runs smooth like new, pics explain it . !! now to replace drivers door actuator, and adjust handbrake. ( had been driven with it on) can't wait. thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccc.jpg (69.9 KB, 151 views)
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
nikolaospontus
Starter Motor

yeh drop pan will be all good
nikolaospontus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #28
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfordsfun
Did it myself with hand pump to replace fluid took in 5 litres, and glad to say runs smooth like new, pics explain it . !! now to replace drivers door actuator, and adjust handbrake. ( had been driven with it on) can't wait. thanks guys
+1

Well you could call this an update to the orignal opening post...damn I can't believe the first post was at the end of 2010!!!

Well, more then 5 months after I made my first post, I completed a transmission service on the old mans car. It's rocked up 321000km.

What prompted me you ask? I got a call one one evening last week; it went something like this:

"Mate, the car is running like crap. It barely shifts from 1st-2nd. I'm getting bloody sick of it. Once its warmed up it seems to shift fine, but (insert italian swear words here) its cold its crap!!!

So after finding out the car hasn't been running for 2 days (that was due to a blocked idle jet, which had not been cleaned in god knows how long) I took the car out for a quick drive. 1st-2nd was non existant. Once I started to roll down the hill, and the tranny shifted into 2nd, the car went pretty well. 2-3 and 3-4 shifts felt smooth enough. But when you stopped, oh boy, we had issues...

So I completed a tranny service. Initially I checked the oil (via the fill plug). Stuck my finger in the whole and surprise surprise, I couldn't feel a drop of fluid!!! The fluid that did come out (after I dropped the pan) was as black as black could be. When I cleaned the pan, the amount of metallic pieces sitting in the bottom of the pan made me wonder if I should complete the job in the first place...

But I soldiered on, and completed the service. New filter, gasket, O ring around fill plug and 4.6L of Castrol TQ95 (yes, a service refill should only take 4L, but as I said, the tranny was low on fluid in the first place...) and suprisingly, she's running pretty good. Took her out for a drive, and the slip was gone. The tranny shifted firmly from 1st-2nd (felt a slight bump as she shifted gears from 1st-2nd for the first few shifts, but after that it shifted smoothly enough, and most importantly, the slip was gone) while all other shifts felt seamless...

The big test was then to let her sit overnight, and see how it shifted when she was dead cold. Happy to report (from the old mans account anyway) the car felt fine. No slip from 1st-2nd, or any gear for that matter. Shifted smoothly cold and warm.

The next test is to see if this will last. So far so good, I'm hoping it will stay that way until I next service the tranny in 30000km...
Old 17-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
Mr Hardware

Car neglect rots my socks. Glad to hear you've done the right thing light saber
Old 17-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
The Monty
Just slidin'

I cant believe people will neglect to service the trans at $150 MAX, and rather wait for it to die at a cost of around $1800. Makes no sense to me.