Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
AZ_567
Starter Motor

Default 2008 Focus LT TDCI - lack of torque

Hi guys, it's my first time in these forums and I'm seeking some advice with regards to my 2008 Focus TDCi (6-speed manual).

The car has about 184,000 km on it, serviced on time (last service was at 180,000 km). I've recently got tires replaced, other than that, the next item due for replacement is the drive belt but that's not expected to be due until the next service.

This problem started last night not long before I reached home. I noticed there's an obvious lack of torque past 1500 RPM, normally at 2000 RPM you will easily feel the might of 320 Nm shoving you into your seat but it didn't happen this time. The car still behaved the same lethargic way when I drove it to work this morning. Overtaking needed a lot more throttle than usual.

I was very afraid that it's something wrong with the turbo but I was told that if the turbo's bust, you'd be seeing black smoke coming up from the exhaust (not sure if this is necessarily true). What other faults do you reckon this could have started from? A leak somewhere, or an injector issue?
AZ_567 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
CatonaPC©

Default Re: 2008 Focus LT TDCI - lack of torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_567 View Post
I was very afraid that it's something wrong with the turbo but I was told that if the turbo's bust, you'd be seeing black smoke coming up from the exhaust
Unfortunately, to me, this sounds suspiciously like something has gone wrong with the turbo or the wastegate. The latter is either a separate unit or part of the variable rate turbo if that is what your car has. If the waste gate is in the open position, then there won't be any boost. Your only course of action is to have it checked out my a qualified mechanic.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
AZ_567
Starter Motor

I got a colleague of mine at work to rev it up while I looked at the exhaust fumes and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

However, for the rest of the day (since 3 PM yesterday until I last tested it 1 PM today) it was back to behaving normally, the torque seems alright now. I'm still gonna get a qualified mechanic to check this though. I know the engine uses a VGT (variable geometry turbo) so it could be the variable vanes that need fixing, I'm not sure.
AZ_567 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep us posted on whats happened. My LT TDCI has done 256000 and still gutsy but feels down a little bit. Be interested to see what you find out.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
DBT
Starter Motor

Had similar issue with my LT TDCi recently. Started with black smoke on acceleration, then soon after engine light on and no boost. Engine sluggish and refused to rev over 2k under load.

The ECU had gone into limp mode.

Cant remember the fault code, but it was the one for turbo overboost detected.

After a few days of stressing, I worked out the real problem: MAP sensor was fouled and reading high. Thus the ECU "saw" overboost and cut power. I suspect the smoke was due to overfuelling prior to the "overboost" determination.

Cleaned up the sensor, cleared the fault. All G.
DBT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post