Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Default 'HSV's Supercar' Accident or deliberate misleading?

Got my local paper recently and inside the 'Cars Guide' section is a brilliantly written Article entitled "HSV's Supercar" by Peter Barnwell, with a picture of the Supercharged Walkinshaw enhanced Clubsport.

The article goes on to talk about how this is a "HSV" car and available at "HSV" dealers for around $98K. The whole article talks about the car as a HSV and mentions Walkinshaw Performance once. Also goes on to talk about how it out performs cars by the like of Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, RS6s and C63 AMGs due to its adjustable coil overs, 22s and 6 pot brakes.

Now to you and me, we'll read it, see the pictures and go "Oh yeah the supercharged Walky", which is what it is. But what about everyone else?

My old lady is looking to upgrade her Clubby, and comes running in today with the paper in her hand and "Have you seen the new Clubsport?". It took me a good 5-10 minutes to explain that it isn't in fact a HSV, but an aftermarket kit by WP. Because for many like her, the paper is still where she gets her news and information.

So my question is, do the writers of these cars guide articles really have no clue? Or is it a deliberate attempt to mislead everyone outside of AFF and motor mag?

If I had a scanner I'd put it up, and I can't find it on the Cars Guide website either or the local papers site.

Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it matter. Whats the point of getting upset at what the media writes. It still won't make me buy a holden, and unless you can afford to buy the ford equivalent, It should be water off a ducks back.

If it was an article about a Ford super car, we would all be cheering, taking it as gospel and it would be the folks on LS1 running a thread like this complaining how biased the media really are.

I don't buy my cars based on what the media says. I test drive them. :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
BOSHOG
avenge me

personally i think this is deliberately missleading, going by walkinshaws history of being a shonk.
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no different to someone doing a review on a brabus and calling it a merc throughout.
Old 15-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Unfortunately, Cars Guide isn't the most accurate thing I've read. When I worked for a Mitsubishi dealer we always made a point of reading each Saturday to see what was happening around the place but we always picked up something wrong in the Mitsubishi articles. Our gripes usually related to release dates but often specifications relating to models could be incorrect, and you'll always find someone who takes it as gospel.
Old 15-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
EgoXR

un-educated 'apprentice' journalists who write for local papers, should never be trusted for accurate information.
EgoXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

doesnt Uncle Tom own HSV anyhow ? so it doesnt matter if they call it a HSV or WP? lol
Old 15-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

This is what your looking for:

HSV WALKIE

Carsguide Road Test: HSV Walkinshaw Performance Clubsport VIDEO
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The real question is why arn't you talking your old lady into a FG FPV...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now we'll just wait for the newspaper articles telling us how irresponsible HSV/WP is for releasing a car so powerful and highlighting and criticising its fuel consumption and how inappropriate a car like this is for Australian roads. Oh, but wait, it doesn't have a Ford badge on it, so that won't happen.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
JPDyno

Same sort of thing happened with a friend of a friend of mine. His mate come to him telling him about this awesome new supercharged clubby. My mate spent 30minutes trying to navigate through the shitty HSV website to find info about it until i came in and said 'Its probably a walkinshaw kitted clubby...'

It ****es me off a little. But mneh.
JPDyno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGED TERRA
Thats the one! Thanks mate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Only Ford owner in a Family of one eyed Holden nuts, why do you think they came in rubbing the article in my face?

For her and many people her age the paper is still the one and only. She doesn't really like the internet because she can't figure it out or be bothered to, and to her if its in the paper then its from some sort of expert.
I don't think it should be taken as gospel but if she doesn't hear it on the nightly news or in the paper its not news!
If you don't keep up to date on who's supercharging what or who currently owns who then how are you supposed to know?

Took me another 5 minutes to explain to her that a Vauxhaul VXR8 is in fact a clubsport ("no its not, a Vauxhaul is an old boxy ugly car"). In the end I took her to the Vauxhaul website!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I pray that your family will one day see the light. I too have one family member that recently bought a Holden. Very sad. Anyway, natio tomorrow?
Old 16-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Now we'll just wait for the newspaper articles telling us how irresponsible HSV/WP is for releasing a car so powerful and highlighting and criticising its fuel consumption and how inappropriate a car like this is for Australian roads. Oh, but wait, it doesn't have a Ford badge on it, so that won't happen.
Funny that one isn't it! I can clearly recall the theme of one F6 article in a prominent newspaper here in WA. It mentioned that the car was good and all, but the underlying theme was all about fuel consumption and how inappropriate this type of car is in this day and age. Yet there is no mention of these type of issues in any number of subsequent HSV or euro "super car" articles they've published since.

I wonder if it had something to do with giving away six Holdens in six weeks. mmmmmm
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
...It's not like this is a FORD forum or anything, is it?
:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
dave289
Banned

I think its about time ford answered the call. 5.4 supercharged GTHO anyone.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
VICFPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
I think its about time ford answered the call. 5.4 supercharged GTHO anyone.

I second this too.
Its a good time for blown GT considering everybody else is going down this path.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I pray that your family will one day see the light. I too have one family member that recently bought a Holden. Very sad. Anyway, natio tomorrow?
Funny though, when it came down to buying a family car that would reliably and comfortable haul around a family of 5 we've owned every series of Falcon from XF!
Yet the Holden posters are still around.

And tomorrow is Friday, can't do natio tomorrow. But tonight on the other hand... :
Old 16-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #19
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Id say deliberatly misleading, i mean it is Holden/HSV/Walky we are talking about here, im sure they pay some of the people who write this trash!
Old 16-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, Come on ford! Bin the GT-P -E crap and give us A real GT, Supercharged 5.4l with about 440kw thanks. Honestly i love the I6T, but how nuts is it having the power-house as the 6? Honestly If the V8 was up to scratch, i'd have bought one. Im currently looking at extending my garage to a black BF MKII GT, then supercharging it
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post