Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default 'Lamborghini seized after mechanic's 160kph joyride'

From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2787603.htm

Quote:
Lamborghini seized after mechanic's 160kph joyride

The owner of a luxury sports car seized by police under hoon laws says he is being punished for an offence someone else is alleged to have committed.

Patrick Nugawela handed his Lamborghini to a mechanic at a Perth garage and police allege the 53-year-old mechanic was caught driving the sports car yesterday at 160 kilometres per hour in a 90 kph zone in Perth's northern suburbs.

The vehicle has been impounded for 28 days.

Dr Nugawela says he made an application to have the car returned but it was declined by police.

"I have basically been subjected to mandatory sentencing without trial," he said.

He says patient care at his surgery will be affected by the loss of his vehicle and he does not think he will be compensated.

"I don't think I can sustain a financial hardship case," he said.

But WA Police Minister Rob Johnson stands by the move.

"It's an issue he's got to take up with the garage owner," the minister said.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for.

"He can hire a vehicle and I would suggest under common law he can then claim the cost of that and probably inconvenience to the garage owner."

The mechanic will face court charged with reckless driving.

Police say they had no choice but to seize the Lamborghini under the new hoon legislation.

Assistant Commissioner Wayne Gregson says officers are obliged by law to impound the vehicle for 28 days.

"There is no provision to allow us to return motor vehicles unless they meet very specific circumstances," he said.

"Those circumstances are that the vehicle is a hire car, a stolen car, has not been seized originally in accordance with the act or would cause extraordinary hardship to the owner of the motor vehicle."
No choice but to seize it? Not sure about that... police have pretty wide discretion when performing their duties.

I'd argue that the car was stolen... the car was left for repair, not hooning around at 160km/h.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's essentially stolen, i would not be happy at all if i was the owner. I think the choice by the police is unjust to put it lightly
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
:
I just found the other thread... :togo:
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post